ReefCleaners.org

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

I am going to experiment with a different way to dose ZEOstart3.

This Bottle Pump delivers a very accurate dose between 0.25mL - 2mL.

I am still diluting my ZEOstart3 19:1 as before and dosing 1mL of this solution twice a day. The adjustment ring allows me to tweak the dose within the range if I choose to.

I was unhappy with with the way my Profilux auto doser was dosing ZS3. Very inconsistent doses and sometimes I would have air bubbles in the line so if left unchecked, it may not deliver a dose for days. Not good.

So this is the solution for now but it has one draw back, it is not automated, it must be pumped manually. The advantage is it is super easy to use, accurate, and can keep my solution clean. I have another bottle with solution made up so all I have to do is switch the pump over to the new bottle when I need.

I will be adding a PALL 0.20uL filter to the pumps intake so no bacteria can enter the bottle, just waiting for it to arrive.

16088892601_7074c15c41_c.jpg

15903532760_503975f9db_c.jpg

16090102242_4f911d3b2b_c.jpg

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You always have awesome gadgets, i want some.

Curious if you have any reviews for a Hanna magnetic stirrer. I'm looking to pick some kind of stirrer up and seen the Hanna one, curious if it's junk or not?

You always have awesome gadgets, i want some.

Curious if you have any reviews for a Hanna magnetic stirrer. I'm looking to pick some kind of stirrer up and seen the Hanna one, curious if it's junk or not?

Hanna makes several models of magnetic stirrers, the lower end modes are not good, the magnets are weak and to motors do not last long. I suggest looking into their heavy duty models or Corning brand stirrers.

Hanna makes several models of magnetic stirrers, the lower end modes are not good, the magnets are weak and to motors do not last long. I suggest looking into their heavy duty models or Corning brand stirrers.

Thanks for your insight. I've been browsing around all morning, lots of options and the prices can go from low to outter space. I'm looking for something I can use once a week to mix some things for the tank, and be reliable as well as durable without breaking my bank.

Update:

I have replaced the Tunze 6015 pump with the new 6040 controllable pump today. First impressions are... I am very happy. Prior to buying this pump I searched high and low for information related to controlling the 6040 with the Neptune Apex controller as I do for the 6055 which has been in my tank for some time. I really didn't know if it would be possible or not but knew that I could use the controller it comes with if it didn't. After some monkeying around I figured it out and can say it does work but... as with all the Tunze pumps, you can't run them under 30% or they simply do not run. Nonetheless, you still have considerable control using the Apex controller 1-10v variable speed outlets and the special cord available from Apex. I won't get into details here but if anyone is considering this pump and has any questions I am happy to help.

So, now I have only two circulation pumps in my tank, both Tunze (6055/6040) and both controlled by the Apex. I have more playing around to do, tweaking really of the settings, so far I have some funky random flow patters in my tank and corals seem happy about that.

15964622459_f5d800cfa1_c.jpg

This thing is small, I mean very small, simply the best pump fit for any nano tank.

16148777641_453d7eb255_c.jpg

At full power it pushes water out of my tank with the way the flow pattern is directed, right now I am running it at ~20% power.

16148774651_868a6fc832_c.jpg

Some other news, I am replacing my skimmer pump to a Sicce PSK 2500. My current one rattles off and on and it has been driving me crazy for months. I have the SKIMZ SM121 skimmer, I will have to do some handy work to fit this new pump on, not sure what I am in for but I will find out next week when I have some time to tackle the project.

Some bad news, I am loosing my Cali Tort colony, not sure why as all the other corals are doing fine including my Oregon tort. I am going to frag the Cali right after this post to try and save some better parts of the coral. I have had this coral for a couple of years and have even made several frags from it in the past. Kind of sad about this but that's the way it goes with reef tanks I guess, haven't lost a coral in years, not a good way to end 2014 :(

Happy New Year everyone!

Sorry about the Cali tort, it's shocking to hear you are losing an acro. Hopefully it's not a pest.

Good to hear that you are getting some hardware updates! How curious that you are losing the tort for what seems like no reason.

Thanks guys, not sure yet why I am loosing the Cali, I don't see any pests so I hope it is not bacterial, STN from the base so it could be. I have learned throughout the years to STAY CALM in the face impending doom :D

More updates in the new year, some good news I suspect :happydance: Happy New Year!

It does hurt when you loose a coral that you've had for a long time when there is no apprarent reason for it's demise.

Anyway, hope everything stays happy and healthy in 2015! :)

I really like ika lab Chiefs, I have a few and they are compact yet strong.

It does hurt when you loose a coral that you've had for a long time when there is no apprarent reason for it's demise.

Anyway, hope everything stays happy and healthy in 2015! :)

Thanks, I have fragged a good piece so I hope I can keep the species in my tank. All the best to you in 2015!

I really like ika lab Chiefs, I have a few and they are compact yet strong.

I have two IKA stirrers, the higher end IKA are good, the low end just so-so from my experience. But these things can get expensive so it depends on your application really. What are you using them for?

:( I lost my cali tort 3 days ago so I feel you. Had it for 3 years. Along with the Katropora, and several other colonies, this new tank is full of heartache right now. Old colonies just don't like change. Maybe even a change in flow sets them off, I don't know. Anyway, I now have the tank with measurable nitrates and phosphates. Dosing supplements, foods, bacterias. Not much more to be done except wait it out. I hope you are able to save some of the tort.

:( I lost my cali tort 3 days ago so I feel you. Had it for 3 years. Along with the Katropora, and several other colonies, this new tank is full of heartache right now. Old colonies just don't like change. Maybe even a change in flow sets them off, I don't know. Anyway, I now have the tank with measurable nitrates and phosphates. Dosing supplements, foods, bacterias. Not much more to be done except wait it out. I hope you are able to save some of the tort.

Sorry Kat, it truly does suck to loose colonies you have been going for years. I pulled my colony out this morning, got two frags off it that I think were worth taking, the rest went in the garbage after some examination. Not AEFW or any other pest I could see so the mystery remains. I may put my A.suharsonoi in it's place even thought it is high up in the tank, hopefully it will handle the increased intensity.

Christine thinking about getting two 6040's for my 25 gallon. Mr Aqua tank.

I think that would be awesome! I might replace my 6055 for another 6040 if I can find a buyer for it. I have too much aquarium equipment building up in my closet, truly ridiculous, I could have a aqua-garage sale here :)

• 1 month later...

Just playing around with FLIR Thermal Imaging and looking the hot spots in and around the Neptune APEX equipment. Interesting.

16460181935_6901f0f6dc_o.jpg

16272759140_e2f4ee38e2_o.jpg

16272505038_2a38731ede_o.jpg

Very cool stuff! Funny that the APEX runs warmer than your Nano Box ;)

How are you liking the 6040 now?

-Dave

LOL, true :)

Only thing I wish the 6040 had was more direction control. The unit with deflector shoots flow out at roughly 45 degrees. You can rotate the deflector but still 45 degrees. Otherwise it is one awesome controllable pump, I love the Tunze's.

I want to 3D print a different deflector too. I am looking forward to see how quite the new Vortechs are...

Let me know if you do.

I think Ecotech is falling behind on the innovation aspect of this business. I wish them luck.

NanoTopia, I like the way you have taken the hobby to the next level. You are super cool.

Thanks Dryland, and that level is definitely "over the top" LOL. Thanks for following :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived