Cultivated Reef

My PicO Aquarium MR18

bdaniel5278

the rock and sand all cycled in a different tank for 2 or 3 months before i added to this tank, so had no cycle in the new tank

There's the problem. ;)

I'd run a full panel of tests and make sure its safe for your critters. Your new tank is cycling... so its gonna get worse before it gets better.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bdaniel5278
There's the problem. ;)

I'd run a full panel of tests and make sure its safe for your critters. Your new tank is cycling... so its gonna get worse before it gets better.

all my test show everything is good, and everything looks very healthy in my tank.

Deleted User 4

Nice tank, just curious is your tank starphire or regular? Also, how much did your tank cost? What's the site you bought those leds too, thanks

all my test show everything is good, and everything looks very healthy in my tank.

Besides the diatoms and cyano right?

:P

bdaniel5278
Besides the diatoms and cyano right?

:P

naw those are looking very healthy also :P

jk, they are starting to subside, im still doing 3-4 gallon water changes every week, and when i do im siphoning out the diatoms and cyano, seems to be helping.

but on another note, anyone have any tips for how to or what to feed my torch, it doesnt seem to want my mysis shrimp

Nice tank, just curious is your tank starphire or regular? Also, how much did your tank cost? What's the site you bought those leds too, thanks

yeah its starphire all way around, I got it from picoaquariums.com, can't remember exact price on it, but check the website for prices, mine is the Manta Ray 18.

the leds are Par 38 bulbs from rapidled.com, so far im loving them and so are my corals, defn recommend them.

bdaniel5278
the par leds bulbs doesn't come with the mounts and wiring? how does it work then

they screw into any normal bulb socket, so you can rig them up above your tank anyway you want.

i used these http://www.ebay.com/itm/IKEA-HEMMA-BLACK-C...4#ht_750wt_1185

and wrapped them around some metal conduit from lowes that i bent and painted myself, its simple and cheap, but there are many other ways

What stand do you have the tank on? I am thinking about ordering one of these but can't find a stand to fit it, so I was planning on just using a furniture cabinet or something like you did. Any idea where to find something like that?

bdaniel5278
What stand do you have the tank on? I am thinking about ordering one of these but can't find a stand to fit it, so I was planning on just using a furniture cabinet or something like you did. Any idea where to find something like that?

i built the stand myself, i built it for a 40 breeder tank, but it worked out perfect for this tank. I had trouble finding 18" deep stands for my 40 breeder to, thats why i decided to build my own.

on another note...

i just found what looked like 2 small aptasia on two of the rocks that the coral frags were attached to, these corals were ordered from Mr. Coral.com. So i removed them from the tank and cut the coral off the rock and threw the rock away, hopefully i got it before it spread, but needless to say i will not be ordered from Mr. Coral anymore, and for more then one reason. :angry:

i just found what looked like 2 small aptasia on two of the rocks that the coral frags were attached to, these corals were ordered from Mr. Coral.com. So i removed them from the tank and cut the coral off the rock and threw the rock away, hopefully i got it before it spread, but needless to say i will not be ordered from Mr. Coral anymore, and for more then one reason. :angry:

Tenacious little things, so good call on getting rid of the rest of the rock. I was able to prevent an aiptasia introduction by using a quarantine tank, then I had the pleasure of burning it off the frag plug :)

Deleted User 4

mmm ty, well I think I'm just going to go with the kessil, since the kessil seems to promote really good growth on corals. Nice tank, looking forward to your build.

bdaniel5278
Tenacious little things, so good call on getting rid of the rest of the rock. I was able to prevent an aiptasia introduction by using a quarantine tank, then I had the pleasure of burning it off the frag plug :)

yeah im really hoping it didnt spread, only time will tell

mmm ty, well I think I'm just going to go with the kessil, since the kessil seems to promote really good growth on corals. Nice tank, looking forward to your build.

yeah ive heard good things about them, i almost went that route myself. I will prob be doing a DIY led setup sometime when i get some money saved up, my other hobbie of gun buying has gotten in my way recently. :D

bdaniel5278
Do you have any updated FTs? Just wondering if you have more live stock in there.

Naw no new livestock yet, been fighting out a cyano outbreak, so i will post some new pics when its nice and pretty again B)

will update soon

bdaniel5278

well here is a new fts, not very impressive, all frags are very small and some have been been made even smaller since having to remove them off of the frag plugs. but everything is looking healthy and i am starting to see a little growth. Now just waiting for the algae outbreak to subside, then i will be going back to my LFS to have a look at more corals! Hopefully when this tank starts growing out it will look much better.

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

My clown with what looks like some stings from the torch coral, even though ive never seen it anywhere near it, he seems fine though

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

bdaniel5278
mmm nice pics, wonder what this is on your clown. btw ordered a manta ray 18 this morning with chris :D

from everything ive read it stings from my torch coral, congrats on the MR 18, its an awesome tank, i love the dimensions

bdaniel5278
Wow this is sweet! Can we get some info on filtration?

im running 200 micron filter sock i cut into small squares to fit in the rear chamber, chemipure elite, phosban, purigen, and chaeto. Yes i know it sounds like overkill but right now im trying to beat a cyano outbreak without use of any additives. I feel additives could just be putting a bandaid on the problem and not a permanent solution. Also doing 3 - 4 gallon water changes a week with instant ocean reef crystals. Also running fuge light opposite my display lights. Everything seems to be happy and growing so far.

Guns are good people are bad. :D

bdaniel5278

well looks like i have gotten rid of the algae outbreak i had, been a week with no signs of it growing back, looks like the phosban i added did its job. Everything is still happy and growing. I would update with some pictures, but nothing has really changed since last pics.

Archived