Coral Vue Hydros

Lion's Coral Den! Kessil, Rics, Zoas, Palys!

buddythelion

Thanks dfcn07! I just saw your thread. Looking good for 3 months! Being in SoCal, finding corals should be easy for you. B) Everything slightly neon/metallic will pop under actinics, haha. Doesn't your hermit crab?

Thanks for the clowns compliment! Right now Poseidon is getting used to his new mate... Athena! He's being a bully right now though so he's in a "breeder box" so he can still see her while she gets used to and gain confidence around the tank. Crossing my fingers they get along...

Ahh!!! I hope the pairing goes well!!! So funny, when I first got my clown pair, I was thinking about naming my pair Poseidon and Athena! lol. Those are great names!

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ahh!!! I hope the pairing goes well!!! So funny, when I first got my clown pair, I was thinking about naming my pair Poseidon and Athena! lol. Those are great names!

Bahaha, no way! Too bad in mythology they are actually enemies! But Athena was such a cool name, I pushed that aside. :P

Buddy here are the photos of MY surface skimmer piece. I kept the packaging, and the name is Nanoskim..but couldn't find any info on it with a google search.

Uhm. looks essentially the same to me except for the cling on part. Can't you just put it on the same way as I did?

cling on part???? mine just has that one clear plastic "hook" that hangs over the lip of the overflow wall. Like I said, it just hang there, and it starts "riding up" off the wall..the hook wont stay down flat on top of the rear overflow wall. I am thinking of putting a drop of superglue on it to keep it stuck down.

cling on part???? mine just has that one clear plastic "hook" that hangs over the lip of the overflow wall. Like I said, it just hang there, and it starts "riding up" off the wall..the hook wont stay down flat on top of the rear overflow wall. I am thinking of putting a drop of superglue on it to keep it stuck down.

Did you try holding the skimmer in place until the water flow stops rising/dropping in the back chambers? That's what I usually do when I set it. I have to hold the skimmer in place until the rear chambers stop rising/dropping. And the suction type force of the water usually holds the skimmer in place.

BTW Buddy... I just saw your Picasso and Zoa purchase. They're absoultely gorgeous!

Hi Buddy, just managed to have all the pictures load! FINALLY! I couldn't comment on what I couldn't see. Lovely fish. Hope you're able to get money on the one clown. I love zoas, yours are always so lovely.

My Biocube has that media rack as well & the hydor glow. The pump was upgraded, but I may add a Koralia. Which one did you use? I was planning on using chamber 1 as a refugium.

L

Did you try holding the skimmer in place until the water flow stops rising/dropping in the back chambers? That's what I usually do when I set it. I have to hold the skimmer in place until the rear chambers stop rising/dropping. And the suction type force of the water usually holds the skimmer in place.

BTW Buddy... I just saw your Picasso and Zoa purchase. They're absoultely gorgeous!

I think maybe he might just have the wrong skimmer for the tank. His is different from our surface skimmer.

@Flyweed:

It's only $10 on amazon, should just go for it. Really helps sucking in all the junk in your tank!

http://www.amazon.com/JBJ-M-S-S-Modular-Su...2722&sr=8-7

Or this one. I'm not sure if they're exactly the same though.

http://www.amazon.com/Modular-Surface-Skim...;sr=1-1-catcorr

And thanks! I was always itching for a partner for Poseidon. Zoas are my newest addiction, hahaha. My wallet isn't too happy... But I'm happy nevertheless. :)

Hi Buddy, just managed to have all the pictures load! FINALLY! I couldn't comment on what I couldn't see. Lovely fish. Hope you're able to get money on the one clown. I love zoas, yours are always so lovely.

My Biocube has that media rack as well & the hydor glow. The pump was upgraded, but I may add a Koralia. Which one did you use? I was planning on using chamber 1 as a refugium.

L

Thanks lljdma06, I sure hope so. So far no takers. I'm suprised... He's a pretty high grade picasso! Until then I'm just going to enjoy having 3 picassos. Heeheehee. :)

I ended up getting a 240 at first. Didn't think it was enough flow, so then I got a second one because I had a $20 amazon gift card. Much better now, but I STILL feel like it's not enough! What the koralia does is that it's more of a light breeze. The water spreads out all over rather than being concentrated, thus giving it a softer flow, which could be slightly annoying if you're trying to give flow to corals that would like more flow (like zoas). Thinking to upgrade to the Vortech since people say flow for zoos are important, but it's a $200 jump that would give me a slightly better flow that's unnecessary... So I'm not even close to being tempted yet, haha. Going to do more research to find out if really helps with growth. But something to keep in the back of your mind.

I was going to go with a refugium too, but refugium lights aren't cheap (can't justify paying $25-$50 for such a dainty light...), was afraid of all the junk building up in the chaeto, and I feel that a skimmer would do a better job so maybe keep that in mind?

Dude sweet tank. I'm glad someone else names the areas of their rockscape. I have Monti Mountain, Brittle Star Point, GSP island, etc. Very nice ricordea collection. My favorite is the blue with teal outline. And that green one is bright! I like your term water flowers. Is something growing on the back wall to give it that add shaped reflection? I can't tell in the photo.

Thanks lljdma06, I sure hope so. So far no takers. I'm suprised... He's a pretty high grade picasso! Until then I'm just going to enjoy having 3 picassos. Heeheehee. :)

I ended up getting a 240 at first. Didn't think it was enough flow, so then I got a second one because I had a $20 amazon gift card. Much better now, but I STILL feel like it's not enough! What the koralia does is that it's more of a light breeze. The water spreads out all over rather than being concentrated, thus giving it a softer flow, which could be slightly annoying if you're trying to give flow to corals that would like more flow (like zoas). Thinking to upgrade to the Vortech since people say flow for zoos are important, but it's a $200 jump that would give me a slightly better flow that's unnecessary... So I'm not even close to being tempted yet, haha. Going to do more research to find out if really helps with growth. But something to keep in the back of your mind.

I was going to go with a refugium too, but refugium lights aren't cheap (can't justify paying $25-$50 for such a dainty light...), was afraid of all the junk building up in the chaeto, and I feel that a skimmer would do a better job so maybe keep that in mind?

If you have the extra money, go for the Nano-Glo Refugium LEDs. They're about $60 for new ones, but definitely worth it. My chaeto grows so fast. It goes from golf ball size to grapefruit size within a week or 2. From all the trimming and giving away. From the 2 months that I've had chaeto, I think I must've trashed/given away a 10 gallon tanks worth of chaeto. Definitely a good addition. I've had 0 NO3 readings since I've had them. Even after I was too busy to do a water change for 3-4 weeks.

Hey buddy... I have a few questions about feeding.

1. How often do you feed your fish/corals(twice a day/once a day/every other day)?

2. What time(s) do you do it?

3. What do you feed them?

4. Do you add any food soaks?

... I'm wondering because I am currently feeding once a day with Hikari Mysis in V3 food soaks and when I feed them late in the day or every other day, Belle(Female Clown) gets cranky and starts bullying Beast(Male clown). I think it started when Belle saw Beast take the last bite of mysis, as I was putting in the food little by little to make sure little to nothing reach the ground and get wasted.

If you have the extra money, go for the Nano-Glo Refugium LEDs. They're about $60 for new ones, but definitely worth it. My chaeto grows so fast. It goes from golf ball size to grapefruit size within a week or 2. From all the trimming and giving away. From the 2 months that I've had chaeto, I think I must've trashed/given away a 10 gallon tanks worth of chaeto. Definitely a good addition. I've had 0 NO3 readings since I've had them. Even after I was too busy to do a water change for 3-4 weeks.

Off topic, but what does a protein skimmer do in terms of water chemistry? I thought it was pulling out nitrates as well? Wouldn't this be competing with the Chaeto? I have tons of chaeto in another tank...

inTank offers this for $18.99:

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Underwater-10...Light-WTL10.htm

Off topic, but what does a protein skimmer do in terms of water chemistry? I thought it was pulling out nitrates as well? Wouldn't this be competing with the Chaeto? I have tons of chaeto in another tank...

inTank offers this for $18.99:

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Underwater-10...Light-WTL10.htm

The PSkimmer will get rid of the DOCs before they decompose into NH3. From what I've researched, it collects all that junk that just dissolved and puts them together via micro bubbles and pushes them into the collection cup. I use the BioCube 14 skimmer and I have to clean it out at least every week or 2 as it collects a lot. As for it competing with the chaeto, I dont think the skimmer can get it all, so there's always extra for the chaeto.

Also... Don't get that light. My cousin got it and it broke or wasn't strong enough, so he ended up just buying a Nano-Glo as well.

Ruh rohs! I don't want my light to break on me. Hmm... I'm gnna need to research more before I put down more money on equiptment after what you said... Hope lljdma is readinh along since she's thinking about the same thung.

Hey buddy... I have a few questions about feeding.

1. How often do you feed your fish/corals(twice a day/once a day/every other day)?

2. What time(s) do you do it?

3. What do you feed them?

4. Do you add any food soaks?

... I'm wondering because I am currently feeding once a day with Hikari Mysis in V3 food soaks and when I feed them late in the day or every other day, Belle(Female Clown) gets cranky and starts bullying Beast(Male clown). I think it started when Belle saw Beast take the last bite of mysis, as I was putting in the food little by little to make sure little to nothing reach the ground and get wasted.

I feed mine pe mysis every 2-3 days at night. Used to be 3 days, but then I noticed the yashas have a faster metabolism so now I feed about every 2 days. I rinse the mysis in a net and then place it in a cup containing tank water. Then I get a turkey baster and feed the gobies first, then some to Poseidon. I use tweezers to feed my palys and rics individually. Rics can eat whole pieces of mysis while the palys can only eat tiny portions. The blenny usually grabs the mysis out of the water column or my palys and rics (which upsets me... even when I fed him already. But hey. Fish got to eat -_- )

Now I started feeding my fish spectrum since heavy feedings of mysis dirty the water fast. Big fan of spectrum. I turn off the pump and just feed about 3-4 pellets until it's all eaten before I give them a little more. Right now Poseidon is still mean to Athena so I can't say for the whole pairing thing. But when I had my pair of black occ Helena would be mean to Jack as well every once in a while. One time she even tore his fins... But it's all normal. I don't think feedings have much to do with it.

I'm actually considering switching over to Rod's food after all of the feedback I've been hearing, but it seems like it might be a bit harder to control in terms of feeding (it's a lot of ingredients vs just mysis) and I'm worried if it might dirty the water up more.

Ahh! Ok. I used to feed PE Mysis but the pieces are so big that the fish look like they're choking on it. I went back to Hikari so that my tiny Helfrichi can actually eat some. I'll try and do feedings every other day, too. Whats Spectrum?

Ahh! Ok. I used to feed PE Mysis but the pieces are so big that the fish look like they're choking on it. I went back to Hikari so that my tiny Helfrichi can actually eat some. I'll try and do feedings every other day, too. Whats Spectrum?

Just get a tweezers and a scalpel and cut them in half! I know what you mean though. Poseidon when I first got him I used to have to crush PELLETS to feed him!

omg. you needs ze spectrum man. best schtuff evuuhhh.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spectrum-Sm...5119&sr=8-1

http://www.marinedepot.com/New_Life_Spectr...RPTSWSP-vi.html

Betting anything you can buy it at your LFS. New Life Spectrum is hands down the best pellet food ever. Buy the Small fish formula, it's perfect sized for small mouthed fish. All of my fish eat spectrum, even the picky ones! There's tons of goodies in them like garlic, etc.

Just get a tweezers and a scalpel and cut them in half! I know what you mean though. Poseidon when I first got him I used to have to crush PELLETS to feed him!

omg. you needs ze spectrum man. best schtuff evuuhhh.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spectrum-Sm...5119&sr=8-1

http://www.marinedepot.com/New_Life_Spectr...RPTSWSP-vi.html

Betting anything you can buy it at your LFS. New Life Spectrum is hands down the best pellet food ever. Buy the Small fish formula, it's perfect sized for small mouthed fish. All of my fish eat spectrum, even the picky ones! There's tons of goodies in them like garlic, etc.

Sweet! I'll definitely have to try it out!

I'm thinking about making chamber 2 into a refugium chamber and also adding on a protein skimmer... Should I go for a protein skimmer (Aquamaxx) or is my weekly water changes sufficient enough? What do you think guys?

I'm thinking about making chamber 2 into a refugium chamber and also adding on a protein skimmer... Should I go for a protein skimmer (Aquamaxx) or is my weekly water changes sufficient enough? What do you think guys?

Can't go wrong with both. I've heard that weekly water changes is already sufficient. You'll notice a big change in nitrate and phosphate with the chaeto/refugium alone. If I were you, since you have probably have heavy bioload, I'd go with both.

Hey, I actually already have two small halogen lights that came with my Biocube so I'm good in the lighting department. But thanks for thinking about me. I feels special now. :D

I don't skim any of my tanks. I just do bigger water changes & either keep macro in a fuge or in the display. It's working for me. Still have an unused slim skim nano just lying there wasting space.

L

Can't go wrong with both. I've heard that weekly water changes is already sufficient. You'll notice a big change in nitrate and phosphate with the chaeto/refugium alone. If I were you, since you have probably have heavy bioload, I'd go with both.

I actually really really really want to add a pair of greenbanded gobies too... haha. I'm so so bad. But I'm not going to. I'll probably go with the fuge like you suggested, seems like it's good for the long run. Protein skimmer I'm going to wait around for some suggestions. I only have zoos as my current obsession so I don't think water is too important but then again my bioload... Still puts me uneasy sometimes. :unsure: I also want to try some montis down the road...

Hey, I actually already have two small halogen lights that came with my Biocube so I'm good in the lighting department. But thanks for thinking about me. I feels special now. :D

I don't skim any of my tanks. I just do bigger water changes & either keep macro in a fuge or in the display. It's working for me. Still have an unused slim skim nano just lying there wasting space.

L

Haha, npnp. :) And you bring up a good point, because I only do water changes too and I'm doing alright. Just curious if I can do better. Lots of people say water changes are enough though. Agh. Such a debate!

Haha, npnp. :) And you bring up a good point, because I only do water changes too and I'm doing alright. Just curious if I can do better. Lots of people say water changes are enough though. Agh. Such a debate!

My sps frags don't seem to be complaining right now & neither are my sun corals. A lot to be said for water changes. My biggest issue right now seems to be coral aggression. They're just getting too big now & are starting to rub noses. The zoas seem to be affected the most. The palys, sps, & mushies the least. I think it's time for me to frag.

L

My sps frags don't seem to be complaining right now & neither are my sun corals. A lot to be said for water changes. My biggest issue right now seems to be coral aggression. They're just getting too big now & are starting to rub noses. The zoas seem to be affected the most. The palys, sps, & mushies the least. I think it's time for me to frag.

L

What's your maintenance? I change water and my encrusting monti isn't doing too well. :(

Archived