40 replies to this topic

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

Space Dog!

• Administrator
  • 8,764 posts
  • Joined 22 Jun 2001
  • Phoenix, AZ

For February we're featuring imisky and his 30 gallon nano reef!

Posted Image

Click the picture above to check out his reef profile! You can find imisky's tank journal in our Members Aquariums forum. Feel free to post any comments or questions you may have for imisky, and he'll try his best to answer them.
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

Zer0

Zer0

Charisma Black Hole

• Members
  • 3,013 posts
  • Joined 21 Feb 2010
  • New Jersey
Definitely well deserved, his tank and SPS are incredible. Congratulations imisky!

srsly, there's lots of guys named jesus alive today and no one cares about them unless they can hit a baseball

Kazooie

Kazooie

Sing to me now, my angel of music

• Members
  • 8,443 posts
  • Joined 10 Jul 2010
  • This Place
Congratulations!

Tang? :slap:

Edited by Kazooie, 01 February 2012 - 07:38 AM.

If you were into the puberty phase, you'd be a ####ing neckbeard. Get out of here you ####ing tween #### ##### ass mother####er stupid ##### bastard ####er chicken leg pride rally supporter. Get out of here with your poverty opinions you ####ing ice cream sandwich stupid #### ##### alter ego reported for harassing me and I messaged the FBI and I left Obama a voicemail and wrote a postcard to your parents.
Enjoy not posting you giant neckbeard looooser.

Do you even logic?

thanks jen. i have him on ignore so i don't get sick whenever he's craving attention. kazooie, to be honest the world would be better off without you and your parents will actually be happy when they discover you lifeless in the bathtub with slit wrists. HTH

imisky

imisky

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • Joined 07 May 2006
  • Langley BC Canada
Here to chime in!

Definitely well deserved, his tank and SPS are incredible. Congratulations imisky!

Thanks Zer0!

Congratulations!

Tang? :slap:

haha Kazooie, thanks for the congrats and ya its a tang! A yellow one, which I have plans for as its getting bigger and bigger. In a few more months and I'm going to have to say goodbye to him. *insert a sad face*

Edited by imisky, 01 February 2012 - 10:18 AM.

banner_zps7105cd48.png

mmcguffi

mmcguffi

meow mixer

• Members
  • 3,403 posts
  • Joined 16 Jan 2011
  • Ann Arbor MI
Incredible tank! Great job! Do you find that the zeovit supplements actually significantly contribute to overall reef health?

What about the Mg, K, and I?

imisky

imisky

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • Joined 07 May 2006
  • Langley BC Canada

Incredible tank! Great job! Do you find that the zeovit supplements actually significantly contribute to overall reef health?

What about the Mg, K, and I?

Thanks mmcguffi, I would say that the zeo supplements are contributing quite a bit in my case as I am running an ULNS. Though Im sure that almost any amino acids out on the market would do just as good as the zeovit AA and pohls Xtra. The reason I went with zeovit was because,from having tried seachem and fauna marin Amino acids I found that zeovit lasted much longer in comparison.

The Mg, K, and I are important for a few reasons. The Mg is for the balance of calcium and alk, without it the ability to keep calcium and alk at proper levels is pretty much impossible as they will precipitate out much faster. Potassium (K) I find that dosing it gave me 2 effects an increased growth rate as well as enhanced coloration pretty much all the blue corals. As for Iodine, it simply boosts the pink and purple coloration from what I can tell, and if you have any inverts in your system its said to help them molt much easier (whether they need to actually ingest the iodine is a totally different debate).

banner_zps7105cd48.png

teamschreiba

teamschreiba

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 21 Apr 2010
  • Alexandria, VA
Congrats imisky! I love the variety of your SPS.
Posted Image

Tangereen

Tangereen

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 05 Nov 2009
  • Anaheim, California
Beautiful tank. Congrats imisky!
Posted Image

Posted Image

jestep

jestep

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,062 posts
  • Joined 05 Aug 2010
  • ATX
Love the wide open scaping. Too bad the tang's don't come in dwarf variety. Looks great in there. Will love to see how much this tank fills in, in a year or so.

iball1804

iball1804

heard that!

• Members
  • 10,942 posts
  • Joined 09 Apr 2011
  • where the wild things are
OMG a dwarf yellow tang would be perfect!

zacheyp

zacheyp

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 658 posts
  • Joined 01 Oct 2011
THIS IS HORRIBLE we shouldnt be praising him a tank in a 30 is like a human in 1/4 of a jail cell.

basser1

basser1

Nano Reefer Old Fart

• Members
  • 5,417 posts
  • Joined 28 Jul 2006
  • So. Indiana

THIS IS HORRIBLE we shouldnt be praising him a tank in a 30 is like a human in 1/4 of a jail cell.

Uh Oh!! :unsure:

Really like the lay-out and choice of corals!

teambiocubexz6.jpgnanoreeftagyz2.jpg

imisky

imisky

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • Joined 07 May 2006
  • Langley BC Canada

Congrats imisky! I love the variety of your SPS.

Beautiful tank. Congrats imisky!

Thanks guys!

Love the wide open scaping. Too bad the tang's don't come in dwarf variety. Looks great in there. Will love to see how much this tank fills in, in a year or so.

OMG a dwarf yellow tang would be perfect!

I KNOW! I want a drawf tang, perhaps someone should start selective breeding tangs of small sizes to get them small. I too cant wait to see how this tank will fill in.

Zacheyp, I knew someone was going to point this out eventually. So Im not surprised you did. I got this guy as a small tang, he wasnt big and had plenty of swimming space. I have plans for him in a 8ft tank soon so he will be leaving me..so dont worry...he is moving onto a bigger ocean

Uh Oh!! :unsure:

Really like the lay-out and choice of corals!

Thanks Basser!

banner_zps7105cd48.png

i<3nanotanks

i<3nanotanks

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • Joined 08 May 2011
Awesome Tank have you ever thought of running this w/o A skimmer I know you said the skimmer was the heart of the system!

Lawnman

Lawnman

Coral Hoarder

• Members
  • 19,895 posts
  • Joined 27 May 2009
  • 39* 46' 5" N / 86* 9' 29" W
Nice tank and I like the little tang. My hat goes off to you for keeping that SPS. I have no such luck keeping SPS. Keep up the good work.

No his tank is 30 gallons. Not a tank in a 30 gallon. :P

sand is a litter pan <_<

imisky

imisky

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • Joined 07 May 2006
  • Langley BC Canada

Awesome Tank have you ever thought of running this w/o A skimmer I know you said the skimmer was the heart of the system!

Thanks i<3nanotanks That thought never really came to mind for this particular setup as I know I needed as clean of a water condition as possible. Very hard to get a system down to ultra low nutrients unless no fish are kept, which would be boring!

Nice tank and I like the little tang. My hat goes off to you for keeping that SPS. I have no such luck keeping SPS. Keep up the good work.

No his tank is 30 gallons. Not a tank in a 30 gallon. :P

lawnman thanks, SPS are pretty easy once you get a hang of the maintenance that goes along with them. They are definitely not for everyone though and plus, there are nice LPS and softies out there as well.

banner_zps7105cd48.png

basser1

basser1

Nano Reefer Old Fart

• Members
  • 5,417 posts
  • Joined 28 Jul 2006
  • So. Indiana

lawnman thanks, SPS are pretty easy once you get a hang of the maintenance that goes along with them. They are definitely not for everyone though and plus, there are nice LPS and softies out there as well.

That's just it though... SPS are not for the lazy man! ;)

thirdchild

thirdchild

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 848 posts
  • Joined 25 Aug 2009
  • Socal
Very clean and all your corals pop! Congrats

MeepNand

MeepNand

Journeyman Tinker

• Members
  • 4,751 posts
  • Joined 06 Jun 2011
  • Cupertino, CA
Very nice!
Why do sps need special maintainence?

Edited by asid61, 03 February 2012 - 06:43 PM.

Programming needed? Ask me for free!

Now with Eagle PCB design skills. See a good led driver IC?

Typhon reprogrammed- bell curve dimming!

Touchscreen LED Controller

Cree 4 channel MCPCB

I tell you these Mexicans work very hard for cheap

imisky

imisky

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • Joined 07 May 2006
  • Langley BC Canada

That's just it though... SPS are not for the lazy man! ;)

Depends! All depends on how the system is setup. At most I spent about 2 hours in total doing stuff to my tank a week. That includes the water change and cleaning the glass and dumping the skimmate.

Very clean and all your corals pop! Congrats

Thanks thirdchild!

Very nice!
Why do sps need special maintainence?

Not so much special maintenance but knowing what kind of parameters they need and being able to keep them there without fluctuation. To simplify it would be to say that the system should be as automated as possible to avoid changes in calcium/alk/mg/ salinity throughout the day

banner_zps7105cd48.png

basser1

basser1

Nano Reefer Old Fart

• Members
  • 5,417 posts
  • Joined 28 Jul 2006
  • So. Indiana

Depends! All depends on how the system is setup. At most I spent about 2 hours in total doing stuff to my tank a week. That includes the water change and cleaning the glass and dumping the skimmate.

Not so much special maintenance but knowing what kind of parameters they need and being able to keep them there without fluctuation. To simplify it would be to say that the system should be as automated as possible to avoid changes in calcium/alk/mg/ salinity throughout the day

Of course even automation can screw things up. As for me, I'm more of a "hands on" guy! ;)

I'm usually testing and dosing almost every night. I want to make sure parameters are as stable as possible.

Edited by basser1, 04 February 2012 - 02:26 PM.

imisky

imisky

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • Joined 07 May 2006
  • Langley BC Canada

Of course even automation can screw things up. As for me, I'm more of a "hands on" guy! ;)

I'm usually testing and dosing almost every night. I want to make sure parameters are as stable as possible.

Oh no doubt automation can screw things up if done incorrectly. I think everyone starts out at the manual dosing stage. But as corals grow, its hard to keep up the uptake of calcium and alk of corals. I measure almost a drop of 1.5dkh per day of alk and 40-60 on calcium. thats quite a bit to manual dose on without causing spikes in the parameters so I think when the corals start to grow automation is almost a necessity to keep things stable. Best part is once you automate things testing becomes a little less frequent which saves a bit of money.

Im all about hands on! I work in industrial design and love hands on stuff , but thats also the reason why this system has to be as automated as possible as time can become tight when projects track to near endlines

Edited by imisky, 04 February 2012 - 08:16 PM.

banner_zps7105cd48.png

iball1804

iball1804

heard that!

• Members
  • 10,942 posts
  • Joined 09 Apr 2011
  • where the wild things are

I can't remember the last time I tested my water, except for the monthly SG check :lol:

animalmaster6

animalmaster6

Moved On

• Members
  • 15,890 posts
  • Joined 29 Nov 2009
Congrats imisky! The tank is awesome, one of my favorites :happy: Well deserved!

snookman03

snookman03

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 641 posts
  • Joined 26 Jul 2010
  • Florida
Congrats on the TOTM imisky,

I am in the process of setting up a tank and will be using 4 Rapid LED PAR 38's and was thinking of adding 2 36in T-5's to the canopy. My question is can you still see thie shimmer of the LED bulbs with the t-5's?
Thanks for your help!