917 replies to this topic

surgicalsense

surgicalsense

... cookie?!

• Premium Members
  • 4,827 posts
  • Joined 04 Sep 2011
  • Albuquerque, NM

They can be found outside of any Ralphs I think. They're called Aquafill. Premium Water. At first I was hesitant because it just says:

"WATER PROCESS: This multi-Step State of the Art water treatment includes micron-prefiltration, Reverse Osmosis seperation, double ultraviolet sterilization, and a post carbon polish.

NUTRITION FACTS: ... Calories 0 Total Fat: 0 Carbs: 0 Protein: 0"

... It didn't mention De-Ionization. But I'm assuming that the "micron-prefiltration" could be it? Not sure. Anyways thats what I use. :lol:

Which Ralphs in NoHo?

NC24

I managed to make it through life with out getting the clap, crabs, herpes or AIDS.......But now I have a serios case of Cyano - Spirofucci, May 30, 2013

When he knocked on the door and asked you to sign his pad did he have one leg up on top of your bucket of salt as if he had a little captain in him - Deckoz2302, Jan 17, 2012

~ I am the Lazy Reefer

gena

gena

"We are all of us stars, and we deserve to twinkle."

• Premium Members
  • 13,485 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
That's the brand machine I was using...but outside Ralph's in Burbank. I was getting typically a TDS at 7 or 8...never lower than that.

dfcn07

dfcn07

Blenny Kravitz

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Joined 11 Nov 2011
  • NoHo, CA

Which Ralphs in NoHo?

Yeah, the NoHo one was the one I used last night.

ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined 28 Sep 2011
  • Fayetteville, GA
Did the cops clean out all the sex workers in NoHo?

I've heard of people buying water like that but I've never seen a machine. That's why I get jugs. Maybe it's not a thing around here?

Thought I'd share this reef-inspired art. I've seen these things before but now it's all in one handy dandy article. Cool stuff.
Posted Image

dfcn07

dfcn07

Blenny Kravitz

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Joined 11 Nov 2011
  • NoHo, CA

That's the brand machine I was using...but outside Ralph's in Burbank. I was getting typically a TDS at 7 or 8...never lower than that.

Yeah. At first I was using my containers to hold my salt water mixes or salt water from Vivid, and I couldn't thoroughly clean them out from their TDS. At first I was getting a reading of 12-14 TDS. Next I had a reading of 8 TDS. Last night I got a ready of 0-2 TDS. So I immediately thought that maybe all the extra TDS I was reading was from the salt mixture residue from a while back. I'll check next time to see if the TDS reading goes above 0-2 TDS. If it does, then maybe I was just lucky. But I did manage to get 2 5gallon jugs at 0-2 TDS. My cousin got 3 jugs worth of it.

dfcn07

dfcn07

Blenny Kravitz

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Joined 11 Nov 2011
  • NoHo, CA

I've heard of people buying water like that but I've never seen a machine. That's why I get jugs. Maybe it's not a thing around here?

Thought I'd share this reef-inspired art. I've seen these things before but now it's all in one handy dandy article. Cool stuff.

:lol:

surgicalsense

surgicalsense

... cookie?!

• Premium Members
  • 4,827 posts
  • Joined 04 Sep 2011
  • Albuquerque, NM

:mellow:

NC24

I managed to make it through life with out getting the clap, crabs, herpes or AIDS.......But now I have a serios case of Cyano - Spirofucci, May 30, 2013

When he knocked on the door and asked you to sign his pad did he have one leg up on top of your bucket of salt as if he had a little captain in him - Deckoz2302, Jan 17, 2012

~ I am the Lazy Reefer

dfcn07

dfcn07

Blenny Kravitz

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Joined 11 Nov 2011
  • NoHo, CA
It was at the Ralphs in Laurel Canyon Plaza... Cross streets of Roscoe and Laurel Canyon(I think). lol!

ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined 28 Sep 2011
  • Fayetteville, GA
This thread needs some photos.

These were actually from Monday and I forgot to upload.

Cluttered tank.
Posted Image

Orange Bam Bams are coloring up and there's a new baby.
Posted Image

Pooping.
Posted Image
Posted Image

gena

gena

• Premium Members
  • 13,485 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
Looks awesome! Those bambams are so orangey :happy:

You need a smaller mag float cleaner ;)

Those blastos are pretty, even if they are pooping :)

Edited by gena, 15 February 2012 - 05:07 PM.

msscha

msscha

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • Joined 07 Sep 2011
  • Gainesville, Florida

+1 -- that thing looks huge! There are some on NR that advocate for painting them black. My lfs recommends against putting plastic-painted items in the tank. I kind of agree. There are black mag floats but they were way more expensive.

I like the look of a busy tank :)! As much as I want to have the aesthetic sensibilities of a Japanese artist, I have learned that I'm really the English-cottage-garden type.

Edited by msscha, 16 February 2012 - 09:00 AM.

gena

gena

• Premium Members
  • 13,485 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

As much as I want to have the aesthetic sensibilities of a Japanese artist, I have learned that I'm really the English-cottage-garden type.

omgosh....YES! That's me too :happy:

surgicalsense

surgicalsense

... cookie?!

• Premium Members
  • 4,827 posts
  • Joined 04 Sep 2011
  • Albuquerque, NM

It was at the Ralphs in Laurel Canyon Plaza... Cross streets of Roscoe and Laurel Canyon(I think). lol!

:lol: ... down the street from me. Next to Smart'n'Final?

NC24

~ I am the Lazy Reefer

gena

gena

• Premium Members
  • 13,485 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

+1 -- that thing looks huge! There are some on NR that advocate for painting them black. My lfs recommends against putting plastic-painted items in the tank. I kind of agree. There are black mag floats but they were way more expensive.

I like the look of a busy tank :)! As much as I want to have the aesthetic sensibilities of a Japanese artist, I have learned that I'm really the English-cottage-garden type.

msscha...I just added your quote to my sig :happy:

ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined 28 Sep 2011
  • Fayetteville, GA

lol that's why it's usually not in the tank. I got it cause the smallest mag float had bad reviews... not strong enough or something. But it scratched my acrylic so I put a piece of filter pad between it.

haha I like both aesthetics. I prefer the minimal zen-like look for planted freshwater tanks (which I really want). My I'm the only one that sees the tank and I'm growing out my corals and still getting stuff settled in.
Posted Image

msscha

msscha

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • Joined 07 Sep 2011
  • Gainesville, Florida

That just made my day :blush:!

Spirofucci

Spirofucci

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 6,700 posts
  • Joined 24 May 2011
  • Harlingen, Texas
Ethan, that reef art was really cool, thanks.

Tank is looking oh so fine, and yea, paint that mag black.

Posted Image

ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined 28 Sep 2011
  • Fayetteville, GA

msscha, we're famous B)
Posted Image

gena

gena

• Premium Members
  • 13,485 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

msscha, we're famous B)

You guys have talent :happy:

I've never been quoted :( I just don't have clever things to say :lol:

Edited by gena, 16 February 2012 - 09:37 AM.

ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined 28 Sep 2011
  • Fayetteville, GA

Ethan, that reef art was really cool, thanks.

Tank is looking oh so fine, and yea, paint that mag black.

:)
Will any non-toxic waterproof paint work?

Update on the xenia: after moving it to the shade it looks a lot better but not pulsing. I suspect that it because it has a good bit of flow now. But it's location (right in front of a little arch under a rock) makes a perfect place for my porcelain crab. It is getting braver, or either I am providing it better spots that make it feel hidden but still visible ha. Since it is a regular sight now, I guess I should name it. Suggestions?
Posted Image

Spirofucci

Spirofucci

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 6,700 posts
  • Joined 24 May 2011
  • Harlingen, Texas
Krylon and others make a paint for plastic. Painting it black makes it almost invisable.

Posted Image

Edited by Spirofucci, 16 February 2012 - 11:46 AM.

Posted Image

surgicalsense

surgicalsense

... cookie?!

• Premium Members
  • 4,827 posts
  • Joined 04 Sep 2011
  • Albuquerque, NM
Keep it in the low flow areas. I have mine on the shelf, but just under the powerhead. Lighting hasn't been a question.

NC24

~ I am the Lazy Reefer

ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined 28 Sep 2011
  • Fayetteville, GA
Posted Image

My girlfriend agrees with this. She was just talking last night about how I'm gonna need my own big slush money when we combine finances. ha.

Edited by ScubaEthan, 16 February 2012 - 12:28 PM.

Posted Image

dfcn07

dfcn07

Blenny Kravitz

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Joined 11 Nov 2011
  • NoHo, CA
LOL Ethan!!! That one is hillarious! I also agree with that!

gena

gena

• Premium Members
  • 13,485 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
It IS very true. Great graphic!!!!!!