Top Shelf Aquatics

Tim's 15 Gallon College Swag Tank

timothymarsh

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
timothymarsh
12 bucks for both is pretty Damn good!

Yeah, I talked to the owner and he cut me a good deal. The lfs here is pretty raw. Gonna get a pair of clowns and nem in the near future.

Had a power outage at the dorm last night :( everything seems fine, all the zoas are out and the mushrooms are filled up, just not sure if I had a lot of die off in the powerfilter. Power was off for at least four-five hours maybe more.

Added a GSP frag a couple of days ago, and it still hasn't opened up yet :( Any advice on this? I also purchased the Two Little Fishes nano mag and highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a awesome glass cleaning product. Pics up later today.

Here is a angle shot of the mushrooms

003-1.jpg

Two shots of the unopened GSP frag :( advice please!!!!!

004-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

I need an ID on this "nudibranch?" I think I see two on the mushrooms but they don't seem to be bothering the coral. Pure white, very small (2 or 3 mm) and they like chilling on the glass.

001-2.jpg

Don't worry about gsp just yet, but do worry about the thing on the glass. It's a flatworm. Not the worst species you can have but nip it in the bud. I sucked mine out by siphoning with airline tubing.

Thanks for the ID, I was going crazy searching for it as a nudibranch. Definitely a flatworm. So manual removal from glass? And what else would you recommend? (I'm going to be dipping all corals before entry from now on)

Picked up a pygmy (cherub) angelfish, and a scarlet cleaner shrimp today. Also moved the GSP frag into a higher flow area and immediately had three polyps open up. Problem solved I think. As to the flatworm issue, I might pick up a six line wrasse in a couple weeks. Pics up later when I get everything in.

i live near orlando if you are interested in some green toadstool mushrooms, orange cap. PM me and I will send pics if interested..also i have a youtube video..the frags are in my 75g video.

I might be interested in those. I'll get in touch with you soon.

iball1804- I think you are correct with the aggression between those two fish. Unless the flatworms get super crazy, the sixline might not find his way into my tank. What are your thoughts on a royal gramma with the angle? And any other fish suggestions?

I love the cherub angle though, they look great under actincts. I think I have enough rock cover/space that both the angle and the wrasse would be content, but we'll see. In any case a clown is coming in for sure, my girlfriend has been on my back about getting one for this tank.

In reference to fresh water for top offs and water changes, would it be better to get distilled water that has been UV treated and put through ozonation, or get water that is RO but not distilled? (Please don't tell me I need a water treatment system, I can't have that in a dorm room lol)

In reference to fresh water for top offs and water changes, would it be better to get distilled water that has been UV treated and put through ozonation, or get water that is RO but not distilled? (Please don't tell me I need a water treatment system, I can't have that in a dorm room lol)

Sure you can!

Get a faucet adapter.

How is that sub current filter treating you? I had bought one for my 15 tall but decide to go with a hydor skimmer for filtration. let me know how it works for you I might rethink my set up.

Thanks

Kevin

How is that sub current filter treating you? I had bought one for my 15 tall but decide to go with a hydor skimmer for filtration. let me know how it works for you I might rethink my set up.

Thanks

Kevin

Is the tank rimless? If not, I would say to stay away from the subcurrent. The design concept is cool, but it hits the rim in normal tanks, thus you have to keep your water level lower. For the time being I'm not even using it as a surface skimmer, I have the water level all the way up and it does not skim the surface.

asting- I just don't have the room on my small dorm sink to set up the filtration system. Plus the water in orlando is so bad I would be going through filter material like crazy.

The tank has been heating up too much, so I raised the wood cover and might need to buy a small fan to put behind the tank. Other than that all of the corals are doing great, and the pygmy angel is looking awesome under the actincts. Next up on the stocking list is a ricordea, royal gramma, and pair of clownfish (not all at once)

Some new shots of the tank. Had to add some booster pieces to the canopy, in order to get more airflow by the lights. I kind of like the new light spread. I think the zoas have a new head coming in.

001-1.jpg

FTS

002-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

010-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

Did a 10% water change today, and sucked out some flatworms with airline tubing. The population is staying pretty low right now probably because the water is so clean. I think I'm gonna scrap the subcurrent because it takes to much tinkering in order to get it to skim right without sucking air. Gonna replace with an AC70, with inTank media basket, and a Oceanic Biocube circulation pump.

Added some new corals last night. Got a green ricordea and zoa frag for $30. The slanted rock is going to the "ricordea rock" as I hope to add another frag and let it take over that whole area. The subcurrent is going to be replaced with an AC 70, however I'm not sure if I should get a koralia nano for extra flow. Advice on this please. PICS!!

008-1.jpg

003-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

007-1.jpg

006-2.jpg

004-3.jpg

Just a quick update, everything is looking awesome in the tank. My flatworm problem is still present, but I've been knocking them down every time I do a water change. Both zoa frags have new heads coming in, and the GSP is starting to slowly cover the frag piece that it's on. The "ricordea rock" is gonna get a orange ric soon, so I can get a little UM pride in the tank. Overall everything is super healthy, and it should be even more so when the stupid subcurrent filter is taken out. As a side note, I also went with a koralia nano for some extra flow.

• 2 weeks later...

The tank has been upgraded from the subcurrent filter to an AC70. I'm holding off on the koralia right now because I want to see how everything adapts to the new flow pattern. Ended up with a new scape, as I needed the room in the corner to get the surface skimmer in. Some more "artistic" shots:

001-4.jpg

Big brother and little brother

002-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

Horrible FTS

004-4.jpg

Left Side

007-2.jpg

Right side

008-2.jpg

009-1.jpg

010-2.jpg