SaltCritters.com

20H - The Mushroom Gorge: 9/17 Photo Dump

GregBox

The Idea:

Create a simple to maintain visual focal point to sepeate the living and dining area.

Materials:

AGA 20 Gallon high

25lbs of BRS Pukani and mixed base rock
16lbs Bio-Activ Argalive

2x Korolia Nanos 240gph
-Short Wave
1x Korolia Nano 425gph
-Long Wave

AC 50 With Carbon

1x 100 heater

The results. (Bear with me, as I am in a mini cycle from the move)

imag0272b.jpg

Updated FTS 1/2012
p1140611p.jpg

Updated FTS 3/2012
p3060643.jpg

Cell phone FTS 7/2012
imag0256zk.jpg

Updated FTS 8/2012
p8140925.jpg

Updated FTS 9/2012
091712mainftsmedium.jpg

Cell Phone 01.08.13 ( Serious Mushroom Pile up on the front Right)

cellphone010813.jpg

Updated FTS: 12.29.13

de93.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you lfnieder

Could anyone help me ID this Coral that came attached to one of my new mushrooms?

I'm thinking its some kind of leather or SPS, the polyptype and extention is making me lean towards a pink leather?

imag0015ky.jpg

Also My Ricordea Island is coming together.

imag0005ww.jpg

Thank you.

-Greg

Is it squishy or hard?

Looks like a leather coral of some kind doing a pretty good impression of a pink birdsnest.

Nice tank btw :)

Is it squishy or hard?

Looks like a leather coral of some kind doing a pretty good impression of a pink birdsnest.

Nice tank btw :)

:slap: can't believe I didn't think of that. I am glad to hear that you think it looks like a pink birdnest too, that is my main reason for questioning what it is. Either way It looks like its already growing a new "Branch / finger" since a week ago, probably has to due with the fact its 3" from my lights on my frag rack :naughtydance: lol

• 1 month later...

Monthly Update:

Decembers theme: Throw it out the window!

Removed: Tamm Rio Protien Skimmer, Cyanobacteria, and El'Cheapo Nature's Ocean Sand.

Added: AC 50 w/ Floss, Cheato contained by in-tank bredder box, K750, Proper Marine Live Sand \ Argonite from BioActiv, Hydor Koroila Pump / Wave maker.

A Warning to all the newbies (myself included) do yourself a favor and stay away from the dead sand, the $6 a bad is tempting, but my cyno confirmed that this sand is the common demoninator of a lot of cynao outbreaks from some of my reefing buddies. Now I am fully aware of over feeding and flow being a major contributor. I feel that these are not to blame here. This sand is the only change that was made from the tank premove and flow was even added.

Enough of my soap box.

Enjoy:

imag0048qm.jpg

imag0056gh.jpg

imag0055io.jpg

imag0057cl.jpg

how do you like that wave maker?

It does its job, at my lfs it was 69.99 but I had a $30 giftcard so for 39.99 I couldn't pass it up. In all honesty you could buy two brinks timers from Walmart and accomplish this. But they won't have a programable feeding mode or able to run 15 second intervals for high random flow sps tanks. Also this looks way cooler mounted on the side of the tank B)

The tank looks really good. For some reason I thought it was a lot smaller than a 20H, so that mushroom must really be huge.

Thank you :D I will have to get a picture with my SLR and a T square so people can see to how much its grown, its honestly about 4 inches by 4 inches.

Looking good. I like peninsula style tanks.

Thank you. It's a challange to create a 3 sided scape but definitely rewarding when the tank takes on a different look from different parts of the room.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought I would share my Cat saves the day story.

About a week ago our kitten (biscotti) jumped on my tank for the first time. She jumps up on my GF's Betta tank alot but never mine.

After quickly realizing what was going on. I could see her from the kitchen on the tank, I got her off and touched the lights.

Honestly one of them was so hot it was about to catch on fire. :o

Now I know lights get hot :huh: but this was way hotter than normal. So the fixture was removed and out to the store I went.

I ended up with a new 24" T5HO Zoomed from petco. Before you flame me it was $65 and I was in a crisis situation. Now its no Nova or anything special but it was better than the aging 30" T5HO I had on there.

Being limited again to 2 bulbs I started my search for the perfect 2 bulb combo. I ended up ordering an ATI Coral plus.

This thing is freaking sweet B) Its a combo of the Aquablue Special, Aquablue +, and Purple +.

So I decided to practice my camera skills.

p3190686.jpg

p3190690.jpg

p3190683.jpg

And the hero that saved our apartment. She even has a cape on!

imag0174qh.jpg

Biscotti the super cat!!!! Way to go :happy: She's a cutie, btw!!!!!

I love this tank!!!! I'm a huge corallimorph fan.

I voted the AC fuge mod. I like the more natural approach to nutrient reduction, using macroalgae.

I love this tank!!!! I'm a huge corallimorph fan.

Thanks gena! I'm a big fan of your nano cube, was your bc14 mostly mushrooms? I think I remember it from when I first started reefing.

Thanks gena! I'm a big fan of your nano cube, was your bc14 mostly mushrooms? I think I remember it from when I first started reefing.

Thanks, Greg!!!! It was a few years ago, but yes. Mushrooms have always been the dominant coral in my tanks :) You may be thinking of my 10 gallon tank though. I don't even remember if I started a thread for my BC14. I'll have to search and see.

• 1 month later...
altolamprologus
ANGLER ID BUMP!

Both look like Antennarius pictus, but I would need a close up on the esca and a side shot of the dorsal fins to know for sure.

You're not putting an angler in there with the clown are you?

Both look like Antennarius pictus, but I would need a close up on the esca and a side shot of the dorsal fins to know for sure.

You're not putting an angler in there with the clown are you?

Thank you for your reply, I love your angler tank.

I think that they are both Picuts, the esca is back to the second dosal fin, I will see if Any of the the other pictures I took have that info, the esca has an interesting lure, its bushy, almost like those pest anemones, Ma.... something...

And no, the b@st@rd orange clown is going back to petco, I'm trying to talk the old lady into a pico 5.5 for the black clown.

Archived