Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dirty Joe's 28 Gallons of Magic

Joe Dirt

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Builder Anthony

Just wondering if your tank is covered in algae?I started a frag tank and algae is a major issue.Iknow i need live rock and sand in there for the ph i have to scrub the thing soon.

Just wondering if your tank is covered in algae?I started a frag tank and algae is a major issue.Iknow i need live rock and sand in there for the ph i have to scrub the thing soon.

The frag tank was pretty nasty. After I put the clowns in the DP, I cleaned out the tank (glass only). I then put everything back in. Since the corals are all by themselves now, I don't have as much of an issue.

Will do. I need to update a pic of the clowns. They are getting bigger and their colors are starting to darken up a bit. They are a pain to take a shot in macro though. :angry:

ROX 0.8 + GFO = done!

d32e6d98.jpg

BTW, the skimmer broke in and is working awesome. Two things I noticed is that it is very sensitive to how high the cup is (took a few days to get the skimmate where I wanted it) and it is causes way more evaporation than before. I see an ATO in my near future.

I called my oldest son over to the frag tank this morning and asked him which one was his favorite. He picked Utter Chaos. That's awesome! Can't wait for it to grow out for the DT.

Not the best photos of them but here they are. The Utter Chaos frag was closed up and not feeling it I guess. I installed the new ATI bulbs (Blue + x2, Aquablue Special, and a Purple +) and I can honestly notice the difference in the color of the corals. The new ones 'pop' unlike when I first put them in there. I realized, now, why my CAR were looking so orange lately. I wonder how long it will take for them to color up again? I can't wait to see the difference in the growth. Some stuff has done well, others have not. I have a Nuclear Green that is still a solitary polyp. Time will tell. Definitely better eye candy now for sure. :)

4d284737.jpg

36b71508.jpg

a5e829b1.jpg

6d41e2d4.jpg

Great looking pieces! Not sure about coloring up time since I've not changed my lighting. I'm sure it won't be too long since it's not like you are changing PC to 400w MH :lol:

Great looking pieces! Not sure about coloring up time since I've not changed my lighting. I'm sure it won't be too long since it's not like you are changing PC to 400w MH :lol:

You're probably right. But with these new lights I feel totally comfortable leaving them in there until I can upgrade the CF lights in the DT to LED. Plus its a lot more controlled in the frag tank while they growout. Just so long as I dont have candy apple oranges when I bought the red ones! LOL.

I'm going to have to show you how to frag zoas.

Where in the hell did that quote come from? LOL. I already fragged the CAR as a test since it had 13 heads. It helps to have friends with disposable scalpels. ;)

Where in the hell did that quote come from? LOL. I already fragged the CAR as a test since it had 13 heads. It helps to have friends with disposable scalpels. ;)

I has disposable scalpels.

Joe,

Wow - nice coral / frag tank. Can't wait to seem them grow out and moved into your display tank!! Nice job B)

Thanks!

I bought my final fish, a Blue Spotted Jawfish, on Thursday and he was doing pretty good. I woke up the next morning and he had the ick. What a bummer; he is such a beautiful fish. I brought him back to the LFS that I bought him from and they are going to try and nurse him back to health. They were being awesome about it and said that they would replace him if he didn't make it.

I also dosed my frags with H2O2 to get rid of the hair algae that was starting to form on the frag plugs. Well this big dummy dosed five parts total instead of 5:1. I was freaking out because the mouths of the acans were foamy and the zoas looked deflated. Next morning, they looked brand new again. A little scary, but the hair algae is gone.

What a crazy week in the land of Deertay!

• 1 month later...

Well, the BSJ passed away at the LFS. :( But, the LFS got new ones in and they are going to make sure the new ones are acclimated and well before I go to pick up a new one. I feel really fortunate to have a LFS that is this accommodating.

On a "lighter" note, I got my aquastyle LED kit in the mail today!!!! I'm very excited to get my cube converted. :happy:

BTW, I have a ton of the little astrea sea stars in my tank. With the livestock and coral I have selected, does anyone see a problem with me having a Harlequin Shrimp?

Archived