SaltCritters.com

The Official Snorkeling/SCUBA Diving/Beach Looking Thread

animalmaster6

Not sure if this is the right thread for pictures of rock pools, but these pics were taken at our local beach here in Melbourne.

IMG_20120225_115617.jpg

IMG_20120225_115626.jpg

IMG_20120225_115846.jpg

IMG_20120225_120225.jpg

IMG_20120225_121723.jpg

(urchin was a dead shell)

IMG_20120225_121827.jpg

That's an anemone out of the water (as seen in the pics above), plus a chiton?

Makes me want to grab some of this stuff and start a tank.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
animalmaster6
Had my first scuba class last night, picked up my mask, snorkel and a pair of boots today. Can't wait to get in the water!

Nice! I want to try and get scuba certified over the summer.

My favorite snorkel place yet has been Tunnels Beach in Kauai. All I had was a cheap disposable underwater camera, so the pics didn't come out very well....I'll see if there's any worth scanning. I live in So. Cal, but I think the waters too danged cold so do all my snorkeling where the water is warm and comfy.

Had my first scuba class last night, picked up my mask, snorkel and a pair of boots today. Can't wait to get in the water!

Here is your warning, it is as addicting as hell! Be prepared to say "well just ONE more course...."

AquaticEngineer
:D Super pumped I get to go snorkeling around the docks tomorrow after work. Gotta go get some more shrimp to sell for feeders to a LFS.
animalmaster6
:D Super pumped I get to go snorkeling around the docks tomorrow after work. Gotta go get some more shrimp to sell for feeders to a LFS.

Noice! B)

AquaticEngineer
Noice! B)

:angry: Got canceled for tonight due to weather.

On the plus side though, I got the OK from the wife to go on sunday instead :D So it went from a frigid quick night dip in the rain to collect shrimp, to an all day snorkeling/collecting trip with a high of 54F no rain and partly cloudy.

I'll take that ;)

AquaticEngineer
Haha nice. What species of shrimp are you collecting?

They are called Sitka Shrimp (Heptacarpus sitchensis) I found a couple honey holes for hand netting them. Last time I brought home 300 without even getting wet :)

I have them for sale on ebay and aquabid as live feeders and I've started selling them to LFS' for feeders as well. Also keeping then in my "jar-quarium" :)

animalmaster6
They are called Sitka Shrimp (Heptacarpus sitchensis) I found a couple honey holes for hand netting them. Last time I brought home 300 without even getting wet :)

I have them for sale on ebay and aquabid as live feeders and I've started selling them to LFS' for feeders as well. Also keeping then in my "jar-quarium" :)

That's an easy money maker! How much do you sell them for?

AquaticEngineer
That's an easy money maker! How much do you sell them for?

Selling 100 shrimp for $64.99 shipped. B)

Search " Coldwater Marine Aquatics" on either Ebay, Facebook, or Aquabid and you'll find me.

That's where I am hoping to go in a couple of months. Went about 10 years ago and it blew my mind.

Though I am also considering Ningaloo reef on the west cost of Australia, where you can swim with Whale Sharks ...

animalmaster6

Awesome pics!! I loved the sea lion one :happy:

Selling 100 shrimp for $64.99 shipped. B)

Search " Coldwater Marine Aquatics" on either Ebay, Facebook, or Aquabid and you'll find me.

Yep I saw you.

I "liked" you on facebook.

AquaticEngineer
Yep I saw you.

I "liked" you on facebook.

Right on, thanks :D

You probably don't go by animalmaster6 on facebook though, right :lol:

Jacob042426

im going snorkeling in tulum next week and got a nikon aw100 and pansonic ts3 for my bday! expect amazing pics!

Wow! Some amazing pics! I myself have also been diving but sadly we restored my computer so I lost my pics without thinking... I'll see if my friend has a picture of a shark I got. :)

Wow! Some amazing pics! I myself have also been diving but sadly we restored my computer so I lost my pics without thinking... I'll see if my friend has a picture of a shark I got. :)

Cant find them :( I'll take some screen shots of the videos though!

AquaticEngineer

So after taking a trip yesterday to Astoria to deliver a lobster tank I refurbished I got to go , collecting, and diving all day :)

Best part was that the couple that bought it from me were AWESOME! The guy is a Coast Guard Rescue Diver, and his wife is a biologist that works for NOAA.

After showing us a pretty cool spot near the mouth of the Columbia River (that me and my buddy were to chicken to snorkel in :blush: ) they followed me and my friend all the way down the coast to Tillamook to go collecting with us. I showed them a couple of my choice collecting locations so they could stock their tank when its up and running, and we helped them catch several species of gunnels and pricklebacks for her research. She studies stomach contents of birds, and sees lots of dead gunnels, problem is they are usually just bones which makes them harder to ID. So we caught her some lives ones that she can photograph, catalogue, and then photograph the skelenton once they melt the flesh off :eek: ( I know pretty morbid, but its for science ;) )

Byron (the rescue diver) has a go-pro on his dive helmet and was able to get video of a yet unidentified fish that was hanging out in a burrow under a rock. I suspect it to be a wolf eel, but he said it was more fish like. He's gonna get the video of it hosted on photobucket soon. Super cool guy, he took home a couple urchins to eat and some mussels, and it was a race to see who could get their dive knife out first when we both spotted a good size scallop at the same time. ( He wanted to eat it, I just wanted it for my tank) I ended up being quicker, so the scallop lives on in my tank :D

Archived