Innovative Marine Aquariums

Howl's Mushroom Forest

nathanq.inc

So that's the mushrooms finally in my tank! they have been through a lot - was meant to get them last week but the guys return pump failed on him and because of the snow over here they were left in pretty chilly water conditions for a day or two so he wanted to make sure they were ok before posting them out to me. Then I was meant to get them yesterday but the postman is rubbish and I had to wait till this morning to go an collect them! luckily they look pretty fine :)

post-67430-1330176714_thumb.jpg

that's the big one (got another 4 small ones as well) he looks healthy to me! the other ones haven't really opened up yet.

I found this though...

post-67430-1330176772_thumb.jpg

I think the white curly thing is a duster but is that a dark blue star fish thing? I had quite a few white ones before but my peppermint shrimp ate the all over a few months. Is this reef safe? he's really quick and has already crawled under the rock to hide from the light I'm assuming.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome new mushroom! I see you added a birdsnest too. Is that a pink one? They are my favorite sps :)

The starfish looks like an asterina. I don't think you have anything to worry about with those. I know there is one variety of asterina that eats coral (least I remember reading something like that). Maybe someone who knows more about them can chime in.

Everything is looking great!!!!!

thanks! yeh it is a pink one :) it's not looking too great just now but I am tackling the problem. I also changed the salt I was using from Seachem to D-D pro.

I read white astern as can sometimes eat coral, but blue ones are reef safe. Let me research some more.

Edit: seems like a debated issue. White ones are iffy, brown ones eat SPS. Blue ones are ok. But a lot of people say their asterinas as don't harm anything. I wouldn't sweat it. :)

• 3 weeks later...
nathanq.inc

My mushrooms are all having waens!

post-67430-1332101758_thumb.jpg

post-67430-1332101783_thumb.jpg

I noticed that my mushrooms had been twisting themselves into funny shapes and now they are leaving children in their wake. pedal laceration in action!

Oh and my blue asterina starfish has made it's way over to my largest patch of coraline algae and chowed down on it!! I'm not too bothered because it is already growing back. The only thing that would bother me is if this little guy can impregnate himself and spread his evil children around my tank to much my coraline to absolute bits. Would I need two for that to happen? or can he just leave one of his legs lying around to turn into some offspring? that would be pretty fly.

I also have some sad news... Totoro died. My blue tuxedo sea urchin, he will be sorely missed. He liked eating my coraline algae as well...

post-67430-1332102563_thumb.jpg

another baby picture, must be spring.

nathanq.inc

Ok i'll get one up tonight hopefully. I'm actually planning on making a short video of my tank using one of my firends cameras, so you should have that to look forward to in the near future as well (maybe even some underwater shots).

nathanq.inc

post-67430-1332271063_thumb.jpg

As requested :). Having a look at it now I think I may need something going on to the right hand side a bit more. It's pretty high in terms of flow in the area though and most softies and LPS that I know of aren't that happy under high flow rates. Anyone got any suggestions? I'd rather not delve into the world of SPS right now so just softies of LPS. I am currently trying to keep my birdsnest alive but it's looking grim!

nathanq.inc

Snail Spawning!

There's a video of my snail that started spawning this evening just before lights out! how long will baby snails take to grow into visible ones? Is it even spawning? I'm just guessing here...

Oh and if anyone's interested in the music it's by me! under the name Temples. It's the start of the intro track for my first album Tiore. If anyone's interested the whole song is up for download off my soundcloudTemples SoundCloud the rest of the album will be following shortly :) (sorry for the blatant plugging... lol)

It looks beautiful....LOVE it!!!!!!

I have the perfect suggestion for that right side. A photosynthetic gorgonia. They love high flow! Sealifeinc.net has a nice variety too. That's where I purchased the one I had from. They have a few colors to choose from.

Cool video and music!!!! I'm trying to get my son to take guitar lessons. I think I may force him into it. If he hates it he can stop, but I want him to at least give it a shot. I think every child should have some experience playing a musical instrument :)

nathanq.inc

Oh that's a great idea with the gorgonia! I think I'd like a purple and a yellow one or maybe a red one.... Choices! Lol

I was never interested in music till I turned about 17 and started listening to hip hop and atmospheric music (sound tracks to movies and that) that's when I took up bass and got into music production and mc-ing. My sisters have always been into it though, some people find there feet at different ages :)

Great! I think they look good with mushrooms :) They have a very natural appearance to them and I've found them very easy to care for!!!!!

I wouldn't mind taking guitar lessons myself. It's never too late to start :happy:

• 2 weeks later...
nathanq.inc

It's never too late for anything! i checked out sealifeinc.net but 'cause I'm from Scotland I couldn't buy anything off their site. My usual guy has some cream ones and purple ones, I made a shopping list but all purchases are on hold for the foreseeable :( - came off my bike so I got lots of money to spend on things like a new exhaust system, plus my insurance, MOT and service are all up this month... typical!

anyway here is what I would have spent my money instead -

Gorgonian Purple

Sarcophyton Trocheliophorum

Leptastrea

War Coral

It's never too late for anything! i checked out sealifeinc.net but 'cause I'm from Scotland I couldn't buy anything off their site. My usual guy has some cream ones and purple ones, I made a shopping list but all purchases are on hold for the foreseeable :( - came off my bike so I got lots of money to spend on things like a new exhaust system, plus my insurance, MOT and service are all up this month... typical!

anyway here is what I would have spent my money instead -

Gorgonian Purple

Sarcophyton Trocheliophorum

Leptastrea

War Coral

That's an awesome list when you are ready :happy:

• 2 weeks later...
nathanq.inc

P1100792.jpg

My mushrooms enjoy moving about, this guy has spent the past 4 or 5 months at the back of the cave in my tank but he's made an appearance!

P1100788.jpg

Had to move my sun spot zoa's away from the gsp which had started suffocating them.

P1100786.jpg

Latest addition to the mushroom forest has already started budding!

P1100785.jpg

Baby pictures...

P1100784.jpg

More baby pictures...

IMG_7052.jpg

trying to shift this wee guy to someone else's tank locally but so far no takers! (scotland... ayrshire... not the biggest reefing community...)

nathanq.inc

Thanks! Yeh out the way of my green star polyp which was trying to suffocate them! My ring of fire zoas are still up on the rock but far enough from the gap that I can leave them there for a wee while.

I've noticed though that my Duncan isn't opening up fully at the moment and I'm not sure why, it looks a bit annoyed. It is quite close to my euphyllia which has began producing pretty big sweepers but they aren't with touching distance, at least from what I've saw. All this growth is bringing up quite a bit of competition!

nathanq.inc
Very, very nice pictures! And fantastic tank!

Thanks! It's a Panasonic lumix fz38 I'm using, i love how it takes the close up shots.

The Duncan has opened up a lot more and is looking pretty happy again, noticed another wee bud when I was moving him so I was probably just worrying for worries sake.

My tank also loves cyclop-eeze, see the amount of pink a white stripey legs that stick out of all my rocks when I add it, it's amazing. Wish I'd started using it earlier, might have been able to use it to get my occelated dragonet onto solids, rather only eating Copepods and amphipods, as it can be a real nightmare to feed her sometimes, especially with two clowns and a cleaner shrimp...

Archived