Coral Vue Hydros

tpallas' 11.4g LED SPS Rimless

tpallas

Wow this looks great so far! Can't wait to see it progress!

Thanks!

keep this in mind, it depends on YOUR stock (fish mainly)... i have a smaller tank than you...

people say "OH U NEED A SKIMMER FOR SPS"... BALOGNE.... i have just purige, CPE, chaeto, and phosban... my SPS are growing like weeds, frags there for weeks are already grown over plugs onto liverock.

i do weekly water changes but the chaeto was the trick... your dosing will be important too... i didnt notice the explosion of coraline until i started checking my magnesium levels.

sure, skimmers & reactors wont hurt :P

Yeah, the skimmerless theory works on any size tank provided you can do the right size water changes often enough. But I prefer the redundancy of that a skimmer provides. That's why I was considering the biopellets. I think I may just leave some room in the sump and see how the tank runs in the beginning.

I do plan on getting an automatic doser...definitely makes life way easier.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
O he'll, a sump... Do a skimmer then, pshhh. I would've done one if rear chambers were big enough!

Yeah man...it's hard for me to do weekly water changes with my work schedule so I'm using the skimmer for that extra redundancy. I'm thinking the bio-pellets might squeeze that extra color from the SPS.

This tank is going to be sweet! Following along!

Thanks! I'm in waiting mode now for the stand. Should be 1-2 more weeks. After that, I'm ordering the sump from Lifereef. They built a custom sump for my 40g cube that was unbelievable. It's definitely worth the extra dollars.

Cheers

Tom

SouthFlorida_Tron

Well, the skimmer and pellets only do so much, color will also come from the led's. But having said all that, nothing is better at nutrient export and replenishing than water changes... Takes 5 minutes!!!!

Placing the RO/DI unit in its spot...tight fit, but about perfect:

DSCF0377.jpg

Now....how to plumb it in. I may need to route the waste line back into the sink. Drain pipe is metal and as I am renting I'm not to keen on making a lot of holes...any thoughts?

DSCF0378.jpg

Cheers

• 1 month later...

My goal is to ask Jeff at Lifereef, to build a custom sump. Here's what he did on my 40g:

DSC_0006.jpg

While waiting on the stand, I installed the RO/DI unit.

Feed line adapter:

DSCF0380.jpg

Ball valve installed:

DSCF0381.jpg

Leak testing:

DSCF0382.jpg

It works! Set in its place:

DSCF0384.jpg

And lastly, since I was feeling lucky, a successful leak test:

DSCF0383.jpg

Yesterday, my stand finally arrived! I'm very happy with it as it was the look I was going for. Unfortunately, the builder wanted to cut the holes for the plumbing at my apartment, so I had to do some vacuuming before setting everything into place.

Here it is as delivered. It's made out of walnut, real nice quality wood.

DSCF0400.jpg

A friend had struck upon the idea to make the stand deeper than the tank, and drill the top for the two plumbing lines. This gives the significant advantage - in such a small tank - of adding an extra 5" of depth for the sump, it is unnoticeable from the front. Here are the holes drilled in the top:

DSCF0404.jpg

When you line up the plumbing from the tank, it looks like thus:

DSCF0408.jpg

And the tank on the stand:

DSCF0409.jpg

Moving onto the interior. I requested it be painted white as I much prefer that look, makes it easier to see inside, and looks much cleaner.

DSCF0416.jpg

Here is the top shelf where I plan on placing the Proflux III and Profilux dosing unit. You can see that there are also two holes for the plumbing through the shelf as well. The shelf is adjustable on pegs much like a bookcase. The hole out of the back is to run electrical wires.

DSCF0418.jpg

And finally the sump area, with another electrical wire hole. Ideally, wires will be more or less invisible/out of the way behind the sump back wall.

DSCF0419.jpg

Here is the skimmer for size reference:

DSCF0422.jpg

Return pump and plumbing came today too. The 1/2" black tubing is acceptable, but the 1" is too inflexible. I'll need to order another length of 1" from Lifereef, I've never found more flexible tubing.

DSCF0423.jpg

DSCF0424.jpg

Cheers

Tom

Following! Seems like there could be some major updates soon. :)

Hopefully! Lifereef is backlogged through December, so I may just use a 5.5 gallon as sump in the meantime.

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I made some updates, but I've been busy on the tank! I'll post what's happened in the meantime.

Completed the plumbing (with a temporary 5.5 gallon sump), completed the rockwork and got her up and running:

DSCF0442.jpg

DSCF0443.jpg

DSCF0446.jpg

DSCF0449.jpg

DSCF0451.jpg

DSCF0453.jpg

Installed the Osmolator:

DSCF0492.jpg

DSCF0501.jpg

DSCF0502.jpg

DSCF0505.jpg

And started dosing Prodibio:

DSCF0472.jpg

And finally added some corals:

CSC_0171.jpg

CSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0173.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg

DSC_0248.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

Installed the first MP10:

DSCF0462.jpg

DSCF0466.jpg

The SWC 120 runs a little wet but I'm very pleased:

DSC_01852.jpg

tank looks great

such a clean look, but no baffles in sump?

Thanks!

Yeah, the sump is temporarily until I get one made, but even now, I get zero microbubbles in the display.

Archived