ReefCleaners.org

Coldwater Northeast Pacific Seagrass and Bay Pipe Fish.

AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer

I picked up a tank that measures 18x26x18 and is made of 1" acrylic. Has a coast to coast overflow already and 2 schedule 80 bulkheads installed......................for $35 :D

Heres the quick pics that were posted on CL

3n23k73p65O35X05S4b6tdc62b2b023a61f1c.jpg

3k93m03o85W55U15S0b6te3549587bf7e18fa.jpg

I'm planning on making it viewable from the long side that doesn't have bulkheads, and the short side, then using the spray foam to make a background that incorporates lots of empty barnicles for my Grunt Sculpin. Should be pretty sweet, and its the perfect size for inside the house.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great find!

Are there no bulkheads in the overflow box section? Are you planning to remove that black partition anyway? My cold bimac octopus tank is set up like, with one end partitioned off to act as a wet/dry trickle filter, but no external sump. I only needed to insulate the one tank, and there's a lot less total surface area for heat loss.

A tank that small doesn't need the thick acrylic for structural reasons, so I'll bet it was used as a cold water tank.

AquaticEngineer
A tank that small doesn't need the thick acrylic for structural reasons, so I'll bet it was used as a cold water tank.

Turns out it is Steve Weast's sump from his original coldwater tank setups, lol. I should have him sign it for me :D

Would that make me a coldwater groupie?

AquaticEngineer

Wow I just realized that once this is setup I will actually have a "nano" tank again.

Been awhile, lol. :lol:

AquaticEngineer

So I'm thinking for the stocking list in this tank I'm gonna have:

1x Grunt Sculpin

1x Sarcastic Fringehead (Maybe, havn't decided if I'm going to keep him in the big tank yet)

1x Hula Fish

Several Catalina Gobies

1x Yellow Clingfish

1x Juvenile Sole (or Sand Dab, havn't ID'd him yet)

1x Neon Green Tidal Sculpin

Going to have a sand bottom, and be more of a showcase for the interesting fish and inverts since it will be inside the house.

Inverts will include:

Lots of Corynactis :D

Orange Cup Coral

Gorgonians

Havn't decided which other larger anemones yet but there may be a few.

I'll have to see what else I have in the big tanks for sure that I want to put into this one.

AquaticEngineer
damn. You better keep that thing padlocked to something heavy. :ninja:

The tank by itself is pretty heavy being made of 1" acrylic, and the stand will be tube steel....but I'll bolt it down just in case you come home for the summer ;)

I told you, as soon as you come back up here you are getting hooked up :D

:D Three more years! Though one of my Portland friends is coming to Pomona now too, AND he has a car, which means I'll be carpooling with him aka I will probably set up some sort of transportable-by-car tank. MAYBE IT WILL BE TEMPERATE? I don't know yet. Pretty exciting though. :)
:D Three more years! Though one of my Portland friends is coming to Pomona now too, AND he has a car, which means I'll be carpooling with him aka I will probably set up some sort of transportable-by-car tank. MAYBE IT WILL BE TEMPERATE? I don't know yet. Pretty exciting though. :)

Pamona is only 45 minutes from Newport Beach where (I assume) you can collect, and also 45 minutes from Moreno Valley, where I go every six weeks or so to visit family. I can bring you some nice So Cal cold water inverts any time you're ready.

I'm very tempted. It'd be pretty spendy to set up though, so I'll have to think about it for a while. Thanks for the offer though, I'll let you know when I decide! Aquatic engineer just needs to show me where to find a good deal on a tank - he seems to have a gift. ;)

AquaticEngineer
I'm very tempted. It'd be pretty spendy to set up though, so I'll have to think about it for a while. Thanks for the offer though, I'll let you know when I decide! Aquatic engineer just needs to show me where to find a good deal on a tank - he seems to have a gift. ;)

Well I havn't found any more great deals on tanks in the last few days, but I did just pick up a PCI CL-280 chiller for $40 :lol:

AquaticEngineer

I'm always looking :D

I use a website called www.searchtempest.com to search all of craigslist within a 250 mile radius of me daily and I also check the local reef forums classifieds sections daily.

I'll need to recharge it, but for the price it'll be worth the extra effort. This one will go on the indoor tank since it should be a bit more quiet than the lobster tanks :lol:

I actually picked up 3 sets of track lighting with fixtures today off craigslist for $25. I'm gonna hook em up to the walls in my garage to light the big display tank and the lobster tanks.

AquaticEngineer
Set it up already! I wanna see...

:D I gotta finish the spray foam rock work on the big tank for the garage first. Once that is all finished and running I can start moving over all the rock from the lobster tanks and I'll be able to catch all the fish out and move them into the small tank. This should all be done over the next week or so.

Since I picked up a chiller the other day, and I have the auto feeder made, I'm just waiting on getting a stand built and a couple pieces of acrylic cut for the over flow.

We did a mock up of the stand and took measurments so we know what to get cut and how much it costs. Just gotta wait for payday tomorrow :(

Added this to my "cool tanks to follow" book marks lol. I really like these cold water tanks, never head of them until recently. Is most of the stuff you put in your tank stuff you caught? Because i have never seen a fish store selling cold water stuff.

AquaticEngineer

The only thing I purchased livestock wise is the Bat Stars, everything else was either collected by me or given to me when someone broke down their tank.

Fish stores wont be carrying coldwater livestock anytime soon I imagine..............but I will be, so start making your wishlists kids B)

AquaticEngineer
spiney lumpsucker?

Don't have one.............yet ;)

I caught some really cool yellow clingfish though :D

AquaticEngineer
Pic por favor!

They hide all the time in the big tanks, thats why I want them in the smaller indoor tank.

I also mispoke when called them a clingfish, I guess they are "technically" a snailish :lol:

Here's a pic of one from google images though:

DSCN2536.jpg

Archived