Coral Vue Hydros

a Wisconsin Reef... my experiences in aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture
Congrats on raising the "babies". I know that has to be really exciting.

Thanks! I've been trying to study up so I can get better survival rates. We already have 6 pairs laying here so I get to try at least a few times each week. Every time its still exciting!

Congrats Kris! Your system is sa-weeet! B)

:) Probably the most ridiculous hatching system ever created lol.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alpha Aquaculture

So I setup the tank for a photo shoot of these guys and when I was going in to remove the pot the female freaked out and tried to shoot out the back hole in the pot. She got through it after a second of struggling. Unfortunately her struggle to go through the hole tore up her dorsal fin a bit. So that's what you see in the photo. Uggh, I'll try for another photo shoot next week where I will be approaching the pot from the back so she exits via the front. Still though she is gorgeous! Perfect face and jawline. All her fins are in totally perfect proportions. She even has perfect pelvic fins, very hard to find Onyx perculas this nice with perfect pelvic fins. :D

2012-4-22-IMG_8875.jpg

2012-4-22-IMG_8879.jpg

So I setup the tank for a photo shoot of these guys and when I was going in to remove the pot the female freaked out and tried to shoot out the back hole in the pot. She got through it after a second of struggling. Unfortunately her struggle to go through the hole tore up her dorsal fin a bit. So that's what you see in the photo. Uggh, I'll try for another photo shoot next week where I will be approaching the pot from the back so she exits via the front. Still though she is gorgeous! Perfect face and jawline. All her fins are in totally perfect proportions. She even has perfect pelvic fins, very hard to find Onyx perculas this nice with perfect pelvic fins. :D

2012-4-22-IMG_8875.jpg

2012-4-22-IMG_8879.jpg

^^perfect example of an onyx clownfish, both of them kris..... send them my way or ill trade you for a very nice pair you wont regret...;)

Alpha Aquaculture

Just had to show off these beauties! Unbelievably rare and unbelievably perfect in every way.

Perfect jawline, perfect gills, perfect pelvic fins, perfect pectoral fins, perfect dorsal fins, perfect pattern, perfect temperment, perfect!!!

2012-4-22-IMG_8996.jpg

2012-4-22-IMG_8992.jpg

2012-4-22-IMG_8990.jpg

2012-4-22-IMG_8988.jpg

2012-4-22-IMG_8987.jpg

2012-4-22-IMG_8984.jpg

2012-4-22-IMG_8974.jpg

2012-4-22-IMG_8963.jpg

2012-4-22-IMG_8952.jpg

2012-4-22-IMG_8936.jpg

2012-4-22-IMG_8934.jpg

2012-4-22-IMG_8923.jpg

2012-4-22-IMG_8904.jpg

2012-4-22-IMG_8890.jpg

:)

whats up

Glad the hatching tank is working

Out was crazy how the idea came to me but its even sicker that you built it. Glad to here you are getting your practice in.

Alpha Aquaculture
those are some beautiful clowns!

Some of my favs for sure :)

^^perfect example of an onyx clownfish, both of them kris..... send them my way or ill trade you for a very nice pair you wont regret... ;)

Hahahaha I wonder what would happen if I swapped out the males in these two pairs?

2012-4-22-IMG_8879.jpg

2012-3-27-IMG_8699.jpg

Beautiful percs. I love the everything about them. Have they laid eggs for you yet/

Thanks! Not yet the female has at least 6 months to go I'd guess but who knows we could get surprised.

Alpha Aquaculture
whats up

Glad the hatching tank is working

Out was crazy how the idea came to me but its even sicker that you built it. Glad to here you are getting your practice in.

Whaaaaatup! We have got to make some major tweaks to the filtration and overflow filters. I'm not liking cleaning the tank so often. I let one of our batches of babies go a few days without a water change and they look like crap today. I'm so bummed, the ammonia badge reads good but the water smells really fishy. The babies look very pale. I just did a solid water change so we'll see what happens. Its just even more motivation for me to get this system as automated as possible!

Great concept on the heated channels for sure. I sincerely appreciate the time you have spent mentoring me :) Thanks bro!

Kris,

Your setup looks amazing man! Wish i had the cash to setup a hatching/grow out and brood stock system like yours. Read the whole thread, its nice to see all the progression that has happened throughout the read. I hope all your sacrifices work out for you. I have been researching some nice clowns and have visited your site a few times. When I get the cash to make a purchase you are getting my money thats for sure. Good luck and I am along for the reading ride. Keep it up and you have the potential to do GREAT things. Thanks for sharing everything.

Brian

Whaaaaatup! We have got to make some major tweaks to the filtration and overflow filters. I'm not liking cleaning the tank so often. I let one of our batches of babies go a few days without a water change and they look like crap today. I'm so bummed, the ammonia badge reads good but the water smells really fishy. The babies look very pale. I just did a solid water change so we'll see what happens. Its just even more motivation for me to get this system as automated as possible!

Great concept on the heated channels for sure. I sincerely appreciate the time you have spent mentoring me :) Thanks bro!

i was talking to the guy at next reef who just built a breeder setup for me and i was trying to explain what you were talking about with the acrylic work and i told him you might be interested in doing some work with them. i know you were talking to another company but it does not hurt to talk with a leader. that being said if you want to really automate the process start a drip into the fry tanks. that will change so much water over a period of time and keep it fresh. also turn up the air a little to get the water moving a little. not too much but enough to move things around a little. any questions you know where and how to reach me.

ps

i might be taking you up on the offer to visit you in about 2 months. just gotta save some money for a ticket

Alpha Aquaculture
Those look great!!!

:) I cleaned the glass special just for them. Now its the only clean glass. You can't even see in some of these tanks lol.

Those are great clowns to be showing off lol.

I've got a lot more where that came from just need to get on my camera grind ;)

Looking sharp!!! Nice job Kris!

Thanks Jonathan! I'm loving your thread man, taking on so many challenging species is so awesome! I'm really rooting for you :)

Alpha Aquaculture
Kris,

Your setup looks amazing man! Wish i had the cash to setup a hatching/grow out and brood stock system like yours. Read the whole thread, its nice to see all the progression that has happened throughout the read. I hope all your sacrifices work out for you. I have been researching some nice clowns and have visited your site a few times. When I get the cash to make a purchase you are getting my money thats for sure. Good luck and I am along for the reading ride. Keep it up and you have the potential to do GREAT things. Thanks for sharing everything.

Brian

Hey Brain! Thanks for joining :) I appreciate your comments. My first round of setups are definitely nice but I really wish I had the cash instead. They're just too nice, I could've built them for 1/10 the money, seriously I could have a ton of huuuuuge setups instead. It makes quite the showroom though :) That's really sweet that you read the entire thread. I tried to make sure there are plenty of pics glad you like them. I only wish I could take more pics, so much stuff is still undocumented. I appreciate your support I promise you if you choose to get your clowns from me you will not be disappointed. I just got a new shipment in and its looking like its better than all shipments I've ever gotten in combined! Tons of really outstanding, unique, and beautiful clownfish I had never imagined I would lay eyes on let alone be able to sell. We also have a new awesome species that we will be the first retailer to ever sell as captive bred. Very exciting! I'm going to try and live up to our potential. Day by day we will be building and growing as an aquaculture resource. I'll keep updating, and you know this!!!!! :)

Those clowns look great!

The clown I got from you is turning out to be a real looker. Everyone comments on how awesome he is when they see my tank. Usually they say something like" I don't like designer clowns but that one is really nice"

Here's an update on him and you can really see how the black is coming in. He has a couple stings from the duncan he's living in.

orangeclown.jpg

Alpha Aquaculture
Do those snowflakes come with a perfect price?

:lol:

Trust me I know, I'm paying too ;) I've never bred a fish that I've sold.

Those clowns look great!

The clown I got from you is turning out to be a real looker. Everyone comments on how awesome he is when they see my tank. Usually they say something like" I don't like designer clowns but that one is really nice"

Here's an update on him and you can really see how the black is coming in. He has a couple stings from the duncan he's living in.

orangeclown.jpg

WOW! You got one of the sickest ones. I remember that one was more red than all his brothers and sisters. Thanks for sharing!

Hey Kris! Nice to see someone i know here. I just joined up since a friend gave me a pico!

Wassup Len! Good to see you around. This place is great. A very good community of very knowledgeable people. Whatcha got planned for your pico?

Alpha Aquaculture
i was talking to the guy at next reef who just built a breeder setup for me and i was trying to explain what you were talking about with the acrylic work and i told him you might be interested in doing some work with them. i know you were talking to another company but it does not hurt to talk with a leader. that being said if you want to really automate the process start a drip into the fry tanks. that will change so much water over a period of time and keep it fresh. also turn up the air a little to get the water moving a little. not too much but enough to move things around a little. any questions you know where and how to reach me.

ps

i might be taking you up on the offer to visit you in about 2 months. just gotta save some money for a ticket

I'll have to take a look at Next Reef. The hatching system has had a drip setup since it was plumbed but we are tweating and adjusting this recirculation on the delicate babies to get it right. I think I will have it perfected in less than a month. Just need to stack some chips up to afford some essential components we still are missing.

That's dope that your thinking about coming up here. You will see some crazy things all right that I know you won't forget anytime soon :)

2012-4-22-IMG_8875.jpg

2012-4-22-IMG_8879.jpg

These are the first designer clowns that I don't find ugly, and the first clownfish I would spend more than 20 dollars on. It's very hard to change my mind on that, good job.

Archived