Cultivated Reef

X-Aqua X-Inout overflow + return

BorHor

I was searching on here and I seems like not many people are running this set up yet, so I guess I will write a small review on it.

I was wanting to build a nano tank for SPS frags and was looking around for for a overflow set up. I searched around and saw the glass holes which I thought was pretty good and was pretty set on ordering it. When I went to my LFS I was talking to the owner and he told me about this new product overflow he just got in. When I saw the X-Aqua X-Inout I loved how it is so compact and also that the return pulses. Downside is that the price is a bit high at I believe $180.

When you open the box you get the over flow set up and also a drain and return hose. The hoses are about 4 ft long which should be good enough if your sump is under the tank.

After putting on the overflow and filling the tank with water I experienced a little leak in the back. I took out some water and removed the overflow easily to see what the issue what. What I found was that my o-ring was not sitting flat on the glass and making a good seal. I repositioned the overflow a bit and tightened it all up with no issues at all after that.

When watching the return you can actually see little ripples in the water showing a pulse. When I was researching online the pulse gets greater with a higher flow return. I am currently only running about 300gph so it is not that great.

The drain is silent from what I can tell. Some what hard to judge because my nano sits right next to my larger tank which makes a bit more noise. But from what I can tell it makes almost no noise.

Overall this is a great product if you can overcome the price. But I have been happy with it and no regrets.

Here are some pictures.

DSC_4662.jpg

DSC_4660.jpg

DSC_4645.jpg

DSC_4640.jpg

DSC_4639.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at that too and cannot seem to find too much info. How far below the rim of the tank is the top of the drilled hole (the hole for the overflow) and what is the water level with respect to the rim of the tank?

According to your pic, the tank water level is about half way up the overflow hole. Do you think that if you increased your return flow, the tank water level would rise?

• 4 weeks later...
I was looking at that too and cannot seem to find too much info. How far below the rim of the tank is the top of the drilled hole (the hole for the overflow) and what is the water level with respect to the rim of the tank?

According to your pic, the tank water level is about half way up the overflow hole. Do you think that if you increased your return flow, the tank water level would rise?

Top of the hole is 1 1/2in from the top. Water level is 1 3/4 in from the top. I do believe increasing the flow will raise the water level right now I believe my return pump is rated for 300 gph. From research I found that the max you can run through this system is about 600 gph which I will run through it as soon as I redo my plumbing.

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've ordered stuff from Marek before, too. He's a nice guy. 20% off would be great. (I'm going with an AIO tank myself, just throwing that out there :))

• 2 weeks later...

I knew some members would be interested in this return system as they are hard to come by here in the states, and they do work as advertised. So I posted the oppurtunity and info. on how to obtain them here in this thread.

I am temporarily out of the hobby so for those interested in a 'group buy' then I suggest one of you who are interested to start organising the 'group buy' yourselves. Good luck :)

I'm gonna be honest. It's not silent like a siphon designed overflow is. That said, it was acceptable for a tank in my living room next to a tv. You need to use slow flow through your sump to prevent the gurgling/sucking sound from happing.

• 4 weeks later...

These come without the tubing from reefmania. I guess they are useful if you are able to magically transport your water from the overflow to the sump and back without the use of tubing. Otherwise, you just purchased a completely useless piece of plastic for $144!

Don't worry. You can use it during your next vacation to Europe!

Why don't you just go and buy some tubing? That's what I did instead of buying overpriced tubing directly from Xaqua.

Where did you get 40mm tubing??

NVM. I see that you used washer line a hose. Not really a good solution. Kind of like buying a Lamborghini without a fender and duct-taping blocks of foam to it.

Uhhh? I don't think that was me...

I ordered tubing on the internet and have also used spaflex fitted for it. Convert to imperial, dude.

I.D. is 1.5" and 0.5" fyi. Hoses on this have a high tolerance due to the nature of the system. It's not as critical as tubing on the return pump outlet or something.

There isn't anything imperial that fits it correctly. See note above about duct taping foam blocks to a Lamborghini to use as a fender. Did you know that you can order the overflow/return direct from xaqua, pay for shipping, and it's still only $125, which is $20 less than it costs on reefmania?

So my tank, running right now with parts I got from my local Home Depot, is not actually working correctly with anything more than the tubing needed? Can you explain to me why this is so? I have a few emails directly from xaqua (don't know if they updated their site with this info or not), with the piping information. Tolerances of tubing is not the same as using a damn threaded screw and tap lol.

I don't understand why you are saying that my tubing, which is fitted perfectly and running for months, is not good enough lol? I also have some nicer tubing that I got online that is colored and professional looking, but it doesn't matter for my application at this time.

Yes, because I did... I also have one from reefomania as well.

Edit: directly from the email: 14x19 mm and 38x46 mm

and no clamps... no need. Also, please see the use of eheim pumps with tubing that isn't metric and from eheim for an example of why this doesn't matter.

No, it's not fitted correctly. Correct. Your pipes are not fitted correctly. Will it work? Probably. So will the foam blocks that are taped to your sports car.

I don't think you understand tolerance. Correct is within the tolerance. That what tolerance is for haha.

Like I said before, you will never hear someone say not to use 1/2" tubing on a 5/8" fitting. This is the same.

Lamborghini analogy is quite poor. Yes, I'm using clamps, tape, glue, silicone, and a small child supervisor to keep it on and it looks like hell too.

Saw your edit...

No, it's not fitted correctly. Your pipes are not fitted correctly. The overflow is slightly larger than 1 1/4". A 1 1/4" tube wont fit, a 1 1/2" tube will be too large. The return is slightly larger than 1/2". A 1/2" line wont fit, and anything else is too large.

Will it work if you clamp everything down? Probably for a while. So will the foam blocks that are taped to your sports car.

Correctly would be doing what it needs to do with no issues. This system has no issues. There is no need for clamps due to the design of the system. You could possibly put a clamp on the return pump, but that has nothing to do with an undersized return side hose. As for the overflow, there is no need for anything smaller than 1.5" hose either. It is not pressurized and is snug. Are you stating that gravity will eventually overcome friction and allow the pipe to slip off? That's not even accounting for anything else besides where the overflow contacts the plumbing haha.

I don't even know why you mention clamps. Have you even used tubing to plumb something before?

I'm curious as to your math for conversion of the overflow side?

The system was designed to be used with metric pipes, not English so I'm not sure why you would say there is no need for clamps because of the design.

Yes, pipes age and get loose and will eventually come off if they aren't sized correctly. The outlet is about 1 1/4", there is no way that is "snug" using a 1 1/2" ID pipe.

I built the overflow and durso for my tank. I know how plumbing works.

You are arguing semantics at best. This is snug, secure, and not at all in danger of coming off (not to mention other reasons incidentally incorporated in the design). This is not like rounding off a bolt head because you used metric instead of imperial lol. Decimal places, man. Again, what does tolerance mean to you? There is no need for clamps. Return is a bit undersized on purpose and there is no pressure on the drain side. Clamping the return outlet makes sense. Anywhere else doesn't. Next you will tell me Schedule 80 plumbing should be used for aquarium applications and that 2x member lumber is what you should build your stand out of lol.

Let me see your math for 38x46 mm to imperial, if you don't mind. I would have purchased 1.25" ID in the first place. I don't believe I made a mistake when I did the conversion about a year ago.

Again, 1.25" ID won't fit on this because the outlet is quite a bit larger than 1.25". Perhaps you don't understand sizes. A pipe that is larger, will not fit inside of a smaller pipe. That's simple physics.

This is the outlet that you fit a 1 1/4" diameter pipe OVER? the inside is larger than 1 1/4". I think you are full of shit.

7750ea2a8f40fe26dbc363810c9c4658_zpsadc7

I said I was using 1 1/2" ID spa flex.

38 mm/25.4 = 1.496062992"

1 1/2" = 1.50"

This also does not account for the ribs on the overflow.

So I don't really know what you are talking about unless you misread or I did a major typo...

Edit: Ahhh. In that last post you quoted, I think I should clarify that *if* I did the math correctly back and it came out to 1.25", I would have just bought 1.25" ID pipe... I wouldn't have bought oversized on purpose... but my math is correct and I am sitting next to my tank pulling on the plumbing.

Crunch the numbers.

I am running on literally 0 sleep. Please enlighten me, if the math is so easy for you. In fact, does your picture not illustrate my point that 1.5" is within tolerance without even having to do DN and nominal pipe size and whatever.

Archived