Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

Oops...I did it again :lol:

Morgan sent out one of her emails with tons of pretty mushrooms. I couldn't resist the peach ricordea (we were just talking about this too, CJ!!!!). I've been wanting her hulk green cloves so this was the perfect excuse to order. I wanted to order more, but I was good :)

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I signed up for the newsletter when I got my anemone but I haven't gotten a single email :(

hmmmm....maybe contact her and let her know you would like to be put on her email list :)

It was actually a bearded dragon that he was asking for :lol: We watched them eat some greens and meal worms. They are pretty darn cool creatures. The one did this head bobbing thing that was too funny.

He'll be a teenager in the fall. Maybe I'll give in early. It WOULD be a nice lesson in responsibility. We'll see :)

Hi! I've been super busy. Have I missed anything big in your beautiful tank?

+1. Reptiles are cool. I've had several turtles, a tarantula, a black widow spider, and a leopard gecko. The leopard geckos are super easy since they live in a dry climate (don't need humidity). We bought 1-2 dozen crickets every two weeks and I started breeding mealworms/beetles to feed it, which is educational and extremely easy. And it's fun to watch them eat. I've always wanted a bearded dragon. Or a sea turtle :P

+1. Reptiles are cool. I've had several turtles, a tarantula, a black widow spider, and a leopard gecko. The leopard geckos are super easy since they live in a dry climate (don't need humidity). We bought 1-2 dozen crickets every two weeks and I started breeding mealworms/beetles to feed it, which is educational and extremely easy. And it's fun to watch them eat. I've always wanted a bearded dragon. Or a sea turtle :P

I would literally cry and possibly pee if I went to someone's house where a tarantula and/or black widow were kept. I despise spiders. Did your girlfriend approve? :P

And Gena - YAY :D New stuff! So exciting

More rics?! :o

AWESOME! You're making me so jealous with all your pretty colors. You definitely have the best ric garden on here IMO.

Gena, what a cool Mom! They have bearded dragons that are a beautiful, orange/red color! They are also very tame creatures. Knowing you, you'll do all the research on them before you get one for your son.

Yep I got Morgan's e-mail as well. Nice stuff!!!

You really should get some of her pink and gold palys, they would go perfect in your tank! Mine opened up as soon as I put them in. I luv em and I needed something a little girly in my tank, lol.

Nothing big :)

A BLACK WIDOW SPIDER??????? I'm terrified of those things. Though they are really slow and easy to kill, for the most part. I was pretty paranoid about them when we first moved out here. I don't like them, but boy are they pretty. Awesome color and pattern on them. I would not keep one as a pet though :lol:

I would literally cry and possibly pee if I went to someone's house where a tarantula and/or black widow were kept. I despise spiders. Did your girlfriend approve? :P

Thanks, Paige :) I keep managing to squeeze more stuff in :lol:

More rics?! :o

AWESOME! You're making me so jealous with all your pretty colors. You definitely have the best ric garden on here IMO.

Thanks, Felicia :happy: Just one more ric. A Peach one!!!!!! I've never had a peach one!!!!

Gena, what a cool Mom! They have bearded dragons that are a beautiful, orange/red color! They are also very tame creatures. Knowing you, you'll do all the research on them before you get one for your son.

Yep I got Morgan's e-mail as well. Nice stuff!!!

You really should get some of her pink and gold palys, they would go perfect in your tank! Mine opened up as soon as I put them in. I luv em and I needed something a little girly in my tank, lol.

I would definitely research it beforehand. This project would be his responsibility. He's a huge animal lover so I know he'd be a great provider for his dragon. Maybe we could make it a birthday present. We'll see if he's still interested in it when the time comes.

I sent Morgan an email and she's adding them in for me :happydance:

Nothing big :)

A BLACK WIDOW SPIDER??????? I'm terrified of those things. Though they are really slow and easy to kill, for the most part. I was pretty paranoid about them when we first moved out here. I don't like them, but boy are they pretty. Awesome color and pattern on them. I would not keep one as a pet though :lol:

I wish I could say I find them pretty! I kill bunches of them every year and all the eggs nests I can find. We have the black, brown, and white ones; black are most aggressive -- they posture even to we big humans though they squish really easily! Since widows like to nest in warm, metallic spaces, I find them under kids bike seats, the mailbox, under metal railings, all perfects spots for little fingers. I still hunt those suckers down every year. I have gotten used to the banana spiders, though -- they are beautiful, actually feel velvety on the skin (never had one bite me, which is nice!), and make HUGE webs -- we've had them 8 ft. across between trees.

Yes. A BLACK WIDOW SPIDER. When I was younger I would always go out to the water pump meter in the ground and look for stuff. Usually I'd find a toad or rolly polly. But one day I found the black widow, put it in a critter keeper, and it covered the whole top area with a web. I'd catch beetles and other bugs for it to eat. I kept it for the summer then let it go... away from my home.

This was before any girlfriend haha.

Hey Gena! Glad you got those pink and golds! Yer gonna luv em!

Seriously, they are gonna have to go in your sig!

they posture even to we big humans

That would freak me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate spiders!!!!! Sounds like you have it a lot worse in Florida with them.

Yes. A BLACK WIDOW SPIDER. When I was younger I would always go out to the water pump meter in the ground and look for stuff. Usually I'd find a toad or rolly polly. But one day I found the black widow, put it in a critter keeper, and it covered the whole top area with a web. I'd catch beetles and other bugs for it to eat. I kept it for the summer then let it go... away from my home.

This was before any girlfriend haha.

Sounds cool. But....no thank you :lol:

Hey Gena! Glad you got those pink and golds! Yer gonna luv em!

Seriously, they are gonna have to go in your sig!

I'll try to squeeze them in. Hopefully I'll be able to get a good picture of them. I may have to let them grow for awhile. She said the frag only has about 4 polyps on it.

Tanks looking good Gena!

I absolutely adore your tank! I can't wait for my corals to grow and get big and lush!

Thanks you two!!!!! Since I got my Alkalinity in order, my tank has never looked better. It's so fluffy now :lol:

What are your params? I want to see if I'm in line with you because I just can't help staring at the pictures of your tank longingly!

What are your params? I want to see if I'm in line with you because I just can't help staring at the pictures of your tank longingly!

:happy:

Last I checked they were as follows:

Ca: 1480

dKh: 7.8

pH: 8.1

Mg: 1500

Is that everything???? I think so :)

I think my params still need work, but they are much better than they were!

Oh...nitrate was like at the 5 (or whatever is above 0 on the API kit. Don't know my phosphates.

:happy:

Last I checked they were as follows:

Ca: 1480

dKh: 7.8

pH: 8.1

Mg: 1500

Is that everything???? I think so :)

I think my params still need work, but they are much better than they were!

Oh...nitrate was like at the 5 (or whatever is above 0 on the API kit. Don't know my phosphates.

Sure you Calcium is 1480? That would be SUPER high.

I bet you meant 480. ;)

Sure you Calcium is 1480? That would be SUPER high.

I bet you meant 480. ;)

Oops! You're right...480 :lol:

We're about to head out for dinner with friends....low blood sugar :lol:

I'm pretty close to that! Well except for dKH but I've heard that drops over time and new tanks usually start higher.

Mine are:

dKH: 11

ca: 440

pH: 8.0

Mag: 1400

I hope that means my corals will take off like yours do!

Oops! You're right...480 :lol:

We're about to head out for dinner with friends....low blood sugar :lol:

Just wanted to make sure! ;):P

I'm pretty close to that! Well except for dKH but I've heard that drops over time and new tanks usually start higher.

Mine are:

dKH: 11

ca: 440

pH: 8.0

Mag: 1400

I hope that means my corals will take off like yours do!

See....your parameters sound perfect!

I'm not going to mess with mine beyond just doing my twice weekly waterchanges. Now that my salt is "right", I think it's all I need to do. Unless the growth starts really sucking up the Alk!!!!!! I'm getting tons of growth now. Guess I should keep a close eye on things!!!!

Just wanted to make sure! ;):P

I know :) You've been the expert on water chemistry lately too :happy:

I'm following your lead! I've been doing WC's 2-3 times per week and dozing calcium for my brain. Instant Ocean only gives me 360-380 calcium for some reason but everything else is right on so I can live with only one type of dosing. I wonder how fast I can get growth considering I have the stock compact fluorescent lighting? I want to upgrade eventually but I also want to make sure I'm not going to crash the tank first!

Archived