Coral Vue Hydros

Species Question

NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile

So I was at the beach the other day and was checking out some tide pools. This beach has a multitude of coquina rocks - basically a bunch of structure, and I saw a good deal of diversity in there. First off I saw what looked like porcelain crabs under a few rocks, they were flat-ish and had the claws that I identify with porcelain crabs by. Next were what I've always called Sargent Majors - yellow black and silvery little damsels, really quick little buggers that I just couldn't catch. Then I saw what looked like glass shrimp, tiny and translucent or translucent with red markings. There were also anemones that were either under rocks or in crevices; I assume they wouldn't be hosting but what kinds of anemones are endemic to FL waters? Are any of these that I mentioned legal to keep? I was afraid that they'd be coral/fish munchers so I just tossed them back but maybe next time I'll be armed with some more knowledge. Thanks!

Cayman

johnmaloney

with porcelains the flat claws and number of legs are the way to identify. they aren't true crabs and don't have the same amount. I think it is 6 vs. 8, but I may be mistaken. The look alike crab in the area's eye don't shine red at night.

sgt. majors are pretty common, and pretty awesome. hardy, good looking... can't beat it. Great personality too, as long as their are other "robust" lets call it, fish in the tank.

nems are pretty much always under rocks and ledges.. warty nems maybe? That would be my first guess. Google Warty Anemone and let me know. Color is variable, would rather eat your clown then hang out with it unfortunately.

Grass shrimp are everywhere once you get the eye for it. Or shine a flashlight at night, either way works. What kind is hard to tell. I would start with "common shore shrimp" and you should google your way to the IRL smithsonian website. It has that, and close relatives so you can compare, you will see more than one.

All of those can be collected if you have a valid saltwater recreational license, a livewell, or aerated bucket that has adequate current to protect the well being of the contents and you stick to the "no more than 20 organisms per day, no more than 5/6 specimens of any one particular species".

But I am not a lawyer, you should read the regs yourself, google "fwc recreational saltwater regulations 2010" There are rules regarding allowable gear and the like. For example, you can collect the nem, but you can't chisel it off the rock. You can only use flexible blades b/c flexible blades won't cut through anything that FWC considers to be LR. Have you checked out the Biotope section? You should chime in the thread we have there, might interest you. Lot of BP ranting from me in the middle but the rest is cool. :)

NaClCrocodile

Hahahah sounds good. I don't plan on collecting any anemones but if I could catch some sgt. majors that'd be cool. I almost forgot, what about the little blennies that hang out on the rocks? They're pretty easy to catch - I've found that cupping my hands actually works well lol. I'll definitely get the rules & regs before I go out there next time. Maybe I'll join in the Biotope movement when I get my new DT up. Can you link me to your thread? Is it the Experimental Macro Algae and Sponges thread?

Archived