Pod Your Reef

MikeTR's BC14...

MikeTR

I'm curious Mike, why didn't you simply turn the power down on your LEDs rather than trade them out for MH? I run mine around 50%, colors are fab and growth is causing me to frag more than I want to.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I got discouraged when my zoas shrank to mere millimeters in size.. Also I was just getting into SPS and the colors were brown so I needed to eliminate the lighting from the picture. I never really figured out how to turn them down to 50% as the brightness doesn't change much. Seems too difficult to guess based upon the position of the pot. I'll give them another go around in the future

I feel you about the LEDS I had a nice set.I went from Sunpod 150watt and loved it growth was awesome colors just wow.Then I got the LED bug and started them way to low since mine were not dimmable.I fried all my SPS and a small mint in chalices.I had one chalice colony that was worth a grand.Well the LEDS pissed it off and there went my tank downhill.I sold the LED light and went back to the sunpod 150.Still have a few zoas that the skirts were fried so bad they look like little donuts.I found a great deal on a brand new 16.5" Sunpod 70watt and I love it.I purchased a 20K Ushio bulb and like it better than the 14K phoenix.I am totally done with SPS and am sticking with rare leathers zoas and chalice.You would be very surprised the color you can find in leathers.If you keep them higher up under the 70watt they will keep there colors.SPS will brown out under 70Watt.I am finally 100 % happy with my tank now no damn dosing just waterchanges.

Almost forgot to say I would never run another LED light if someone gave it to me.

I'm a lot happier with my 10 gal softie/LPS tank right now too. Just change the water :).. I was able to get some color back on the blue milli for a short while and I think it was when I used the last of my phosguard. I don't think the chemipure elite is good for more than a week or two at most at dealing with the phosphates. I'm on the fence about doing anything else with this tank as plans are in the works to buy a bigger place and probably something along the lines of a 75gal..I guess it couldn't hurt to buy some phosban and throw it in a media bag in the 3rd chamber where the sponge would normally go. The flow is not strong enough to tumble the phosban so I don't think it would pulverize it.

Sorry to hear about the corals man.. I do have a chalice but I've had to keep it in the back corner.. It was bleaching under the halide.. Maybe its time to get the 20k bulb and start moving it out to where I can enjoy it.

Here's what was sold to me as fire chalice.. probably way overpriced at $100, but with a $50gc and 20% off it was a no brainer. Got it almost a year ago so it's grown a few new eyes and has completely covered the plug. Just picked up the favia yesterday.

chalice.jpg

favia.jpg

Did I mention how much I love the color of this bulb.. omg.. omgomgomg Has sparked a new interest in this tank... I haven't seen green on my green acans in months.. darn 14k ushio bulb. I'm glad the colors are all still there :happydance: , I was really afraid my acans had lost coloring..

Not sure what possessed me to think I could put a small RBTA in here... :).. other than I think this tank is going to go in a whole new direction.. again.. pics later...

Looks like she is gonna pull through - its looking so much better. I had a BTA once in my aquapod, didn't work out as it was killing every coral I had at one point.

I did a little bit of reaquascaping to accomodate the RBTA.. I really need to get some kalk paste and use it kill off some pocillopora that spawned. I can't wait to see the tank tonight. Once again I think this will be a successful go around with a nem in the tank provided that it stays where it's at currently at. It's in the perfect spot. Both times I've put a nem in here, they've stayed where I put them, and I think it's due to placing them in a crevice so they have a spot to plant their foot. They don't like flat surfaces, so I don't attempt to put it on one and expect it to stay.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if my bulb is old or if its the 70w viper? I was told I have a 5 month ushio 20k but it looks really dull.Yours looks way better then mine.

Glad you like the 20K Ushio bulb Mike.I actually like it more than the phoenix I use to have in my 150 sunpod.I just love my 70W sunpod with the 20k Ushio bulb.My chalices just grow like crazy.Tank is looking great.

• 7 months later...

Moved into a house and the did a complete 180 with the tank. Speaking of 180 I'm also trying to get a 180 bowfront for the front room.

DSC01573.jpg

Still running the 70w 20k ushio.. not quite as blue when I bought it in Dec but it's lookin good still

For a while I wanted to go strictly SPS in the tank but the pocillopora spawn got me discouraged, still dealing with that crap on some frags..

• 2 months later...

Archived