inTank Media Baskets

South Florida Tide Pool Biotope

Sword

I recently set up a 5.5g rimless AGA with hand collected flora and fauna from a South Florida tide pool . This is predominantly a macroalgae system with a crap ton of invertebrates (and one little blenny fish).

Dude, I am sooooooo jealous...

BTW, where did you get the rimless AGA?

Thanks...

Just took off the plastic rim. Took about an hour from start to finish (cleaning all the silicone off).

johnmaloney

Did I ever send the ids in that pm sword? Codium, sargassum, laurencia, and dictyota and caulerpa cuspressoides var lycopodium. Spotted sea hare will need another 80 gallons though in the long run, maybe time to trade him in. Get almost to the size of a pee wee league football.

Yeah - he could probably eat a football field of macro in a sitting too. I've got a couple of small ones in my holding tank too. They're tiny - only about 1cm long. Maybe next Sunday I'll travel back down to South FL.

johnmaloney

they grow pretty fast. get ready for them, the little guys will be 5 inches by the end of next month. romaine lettuce is cheap...better get on it otherwise they take up too much time to keep them in a nano. They take about 4 months to get full sized though, they will probably fit in the a 40 g tank for 10 weeks at least, then you have to get them in something bigger. Full sized sea hares, probably a 60 gallon dedicated to each of them. or mAybe could keep like 6 in a 150 dedicated to them. Sponge your intakes.

Not really worth all of the effort, at least right now. I love how they look but I don't think I have the time/resources to provide them with the diet they deserve.

Thanks for the help, John!

Anything else, aside from the Seaweed Blenny, that I should look for next time?

A couple of new pictures! Got a new camera yesterday - still trying to figure out some of the settings :)

3535378777_697b9b999c_o.jpg

Tunicate, which seems to either be dying or shedding?

3535378897_448e78acf8_o.jpg

Biggest hermit crab.

Still no sign of the Sea Hare. Butters must have climbed out and got lost in my apartment. Bummer. :(

Here's the carnage. These are the remains of my pretty macro tank.

3544610616_e43a71d4ff_o.jpg

FTS

3543801319_7ea8be4a3f_o.jpg

What's left of the Tunicate

But there's still plenty of life!

3544610320_1477589368_o.jpg

Little bit of macro starting to grow in. A little rock anemone has popped up.

3543801035_85b83e085b_o.jpg

Some sort of little shrimp-like pod. Any idea what he could be? He's walled himself in on the glass. Maybe 3mm in length.

I made a visit down to the beach again. The recent storms in the area have caused rough seas and the beach and surf was littered with macroalgaes. I picked up a few different varieties that I will take pictures of, once they are in the tank.

My sea hare is still missing and presumed dead. He may have managed to crawl out or was eaten by a herd of hungry crabs. So long, Butters.

I've started working on the upgrade: a 10g SAIO. I cut the teeth into the lexan and will be buying a powerhead tomorrow. I should have it up and running soon enough. I think I'm going to do a DIY 70w MH fixture. It seems to be the cheapest route for the most light. Any other ideas on how to light a 10g macroalgae display tank?

Looking like this is going to end up as a 15g XH (standard 10g footprint, just taller) if I can score a 150w Sunpod. Going to go filterless ala Dapellegrini's 5.5. I hope I can get this up and running soon.

The big snail is a whelk? :( I have two or three smaller whelks (of different shape) that have destroyed my limpets. I thought he was a friendly turbo-type snail.

I've painted my 15g and have put water in it. It's going to run two Koralia Nano powerheads on opposing sides. No other form of filtration or water movement. Put in the payment for my 150w Sunpod. Excited to get that soon. In the meantime, I've rigged a 300w Halogen security lamp. Not sure how it's going to work out yet.

Nothing in the tank yet. Will likely move everything over tomorrow.

Moved 95% of my 5.5's inhabitants into the 15g. Hopefully the 300w Halogen will keep my new macroalgae alive until the Sunpod gets here.

The 300w Halogen was putting off a troubling amount of heat (and it was practically orange @ 3000K) so I opted for three 26w (100w equivalent) Spiral CFLs in clamp on fixtures. Looks tacky but should hopefully keep things alive until the Sunpod gets here.

Where in florida is the tide pool? What are the laws about collecting thing from the ocean? I live in south florida and would like to do something like this soon.

Archived