ReefCleaners.org

Reese's Rimless 14g

blizzardscout2

blizzardscout2

Tank looks great! 8 years?! Well done sir, well done.

Thank you. I have had a lot of setbacks, but I have learned a ton and I still have the bug after all of that.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
blizzardscout2

I love my Kessil A350, especially the shimmer that lights up my entry way and stairwell at night, but I really want to have sunrise and sunset control. So last night I found a used A360EW. My Apex Jr won't be able to control it without a special module, but lucky for me my brother in law has an Apex Standard that he is giving me :happydance: . All I needed to buy was a specific cable for $20, already on its way. I figured that when I upgrade my tank I will decide whether one light will be enough. I guess I can put my Apex Jr up for sale, or save it for a desktop pico next year? I have never done a pico and I am quite tempted to after seeing some of the beautiful tanks on this forum.

Now time to go feed my fish and perform a WC...

blizzardscout2

Does anyone think that a Maxi Anemone could have damaged my clown to the point of killing it? I have 2 very healthy full size Maxis, as well as some other smaller ones. Just a thought...

blizzardscout2

So I have 2 Rock Flower Anemones.... Now I am about to have 12. Oh and a little surprise. Stay tuned next Thursday.

blizzardscout2

Congrats on the 8 year milestone!

Thank you. Turns out the RFAs won't be here for a few weeks. No big deal.

blizzardscout2

Ok.... Now I definitely am running fishless in this anemone tank. My Maxi ate the juvenile naked clown. :angry: I'm done with fish in this system. Maybe I will be lucky with the adult clown.

blizzardscout2

My RFAs come on Wednesday. My Maxis I fragged are doing great! They are eating well and healing nicely. I have one Maxi that I cannot get out of the rock, maybe one day he will move so I can frag him too. My Leather is growing like crazy, I hope that it slows down but it probably is unlikely. Here are a few pictures from last night (iPhone 5SE)

54D9A631-A4DF-4E75-900D-629C3171E64C_zps

4C07479A-58DB-4280-B951-CB50C8012874_zps

D43E4EF6-6E8C-4D07-B5C8-1CA42FC8D7B6_zps

57070ebb-47c6-442e-b78f-bc24a837e7d4_zps

This last picture is one of my smaller rocks. The dark blue sponge has been growing for the last 5 years. It is much more beautiful in person. If you look close enough, I found a small feather that is a very bright red. Pretty cool contrast between the two.

I love those deep blue sponges. I have one that plates and is a vivid bright blue.

Everything looks great!

blizzardscout2

Wow that's a very long lived reef tank. Very well done. It's cool to see an aquarium like this as they are so rare in this hobby.

Thank you. It isn't as off the hook as some other nanos on this forum, but longevity has it's perks.

I love those deep blue sponges. I have one that plates and is a vivid bright blue.

Everything looks great!

A plating sponge? Cool! I just looked it up, come to think of it I had one a few years ago from a local fragger that gave me a few pieces. Most died but one piece grew well. I have moved the rock around so I'm not sure if it is alive anymore. Could just be on the bottom of one of my rocks.

Thank you. It isn't as off the hook as some other nanos on this forum, but longevity has it's perks.

A plating sponge? Cool! I just looked it up, come to think of it I had one a few years ago from a local fragger that gave me a few pieces. Most died but one piece grew well. I have moved the rock around so I'm not sure if it is alive anymore. Could just be on the bottom of one of my rocks.

Out of curiosity, do you have any words of advice on how to keep a nano tank or that long? Also, do you have any unique observations or experiences from having a reef that long? Thanks

blizzardscout2

Out of curiosity, do you have any words of advice on how to keep a nano tank or that long? Also, do you have any unique observations or experiences from having a reef that long? Thanks

Sure, keep up on water changes, no matter what. Check your tanks parameters frequently. Use an ATO system. Learn as much as you can so you don't have to learn the hard way like I have... Several times before. Stability is key. Don't overfeed. Power outages almost brought down my system. Have a plan in place in case of power failure. The same goes for heat waves. I may come up with more but I'm falling asleep sitting here. More tomorrow.

blizzardscout2

FTS after a couple day trailer trip to a State Park. I got to show my son a bunch of tide pools with green anemones, barnacles, small crab, hermit crabs, snails, macro algae, limpets, mussels, you name it. It was pretty neat.

C255D721-9A8D-4E91-AED7-41C6AF00BDFE_zps

blizzardscout2

Just read the whole thing! Badass tank! Diggin the maxis! ;)

Thank you! I took a few pictures today when I was floating my order from Reefcleaners.

802365B1-18F3-41CA-A3DA-1DA7E32A9747_zps

1D37A594-F65E-4A0B-AD2B-071BEA4D2410_zps

C1BD268B-779E-48A5-81CE-E02B999646E2_zps

The Maxis are healing nicely from being fragged. That big red one is impossible to get to so it will stay nice and big until it decides to move.

• 2 weeks later...
blizzardscout2

My order from RareReef for their RFAs has been delayed again. They were great to send out an email explaining that their collector has had trouble getting out there, but they will be taking care of everyone waiting for their orders. So.... looks like after the 4th since I will be gone most of next week.

On another topic, I am really considering my options for my upgrade. I thought I was going to go BIG, but after finding out how much just the tank would be, I think I will put that off for a few years. However, I am still going to upgrade to another tank. I have been weighing my options. I know I want an all rimless tank, that much I am sure about. I would be open to running with just an MP10 and maybe an Aquaclear hanging on the back. Or I could go with a small sump and drill for a synergy overflow. Still thinking...

• 2 weeks later...
blizzardscout2

I finally took the time to install the Apex Classic that my brother in law gave me to control my Kessil A360W. Fortunately for me there is a great video with the exact code by BRS that made it a cinch for dawn and dusk ramp profiles. It was really cool to see it actually have a dusk mode for the first time last night. My wife and I are night owls so I have the lights turn off at midnight, but I get the bright white mid day sun and the cool blue at night. Plus I put my ATO on it as well which will make it so I never have to open up the cabinet to pull the plug again, making my life much easier. :D

blizzardscout2

Bonus! I found a small rock in the back of my tank with some unknown zoas attached. I hope they are my pink zoas that I thought were all gone with a previous crash. My green striped Palys are doing fantastic since discovering them and allowing them to get light. Maybe a week or two will tell what they are. I will take a few pictures tomorrow.

I keep changing my mind on what I want to do for a different tank. I am considering staying with a smaller setup, but boy do I love the shallow square lagoon aquariums. The 40 gallon 24x24x16 looks great as does the 24x24x12. I am looking at glasscages, how is their quality these days?

blizzardscout2

I just placed an order for Advanced Acrylics; a 2 part dosing container and an ATO reservoir that will fit in my stand. Plus I ordered an Eshopps dosing pump. I have been dosing myself for a couple years and I am not always home due to my job or just being away for the weekends with the family so this will make my system even more stable and automatic. I plan to sell my leathers and upgrade my tank to stock SPS in the near future so this will be one more item checked off my list to make that process easier. I am looking locally about the company that builds nice glass tanks and am waiting on a reply from them. Other than that, I am off to do a WC.

I love finding corals buried in the tank that I thought were long gone :)

Good luck with the new tank! I really like the shallow square lagoon look, too.

blizzardscout2

I love finding corals buried in the tank that I thought were long gone :)

Good luck with the new tank! I really like the shallow square lagoon look, too.

Yeah it is a treat for sure. I still can not tell what color they are yet, but given a few weeks I will be able to tell. I have gone back and forth with the size of the aquarium, but the square just fits that space perfectly. Years down the road I may have a really large tank. I really have taken interest in the reef drop off tanks, but they are so new they are cost prohibitive. That and the fact that they require 3/4" glass panels. :D

Archived