Cultivated Reef

Reese's Rimless 14g

blizzardscout2

blizzardscout2

I received my Tunze Nano Skimmer and just put it in my BC14, except I had to make a modification with my sawzall. :D I did not know until after I purchased it that the new one comes with a giant magnet hanging off the side, so in other words it would not fit in the center chamber. Now it does!!

It is used, so the break in period shouldnt be too bad. It already is producing some green skimmate, I just need to figure out the best setting. I cant wait to see what my tank water looks like after a day or so. I have heard great things about this skimmer from a lot of people.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
blizzardscout2

I just got home to find my Skimmer cup almost full of some nasty dark green water and thick dark foam on top. I adjusted it to try and make some dryer skimmate, so it wont fill up so fast. I can already tell a difference in the clarity of the water. :happy:

I think its time for a new FTS!

Good thing you checked the skimmer, wouldn't want that overflowing every where, water on electrical stuff is bad, and it smells bad haha.

Been diving in the sound at all recently?

blizzardscout2

Yeah that would suck! I think that if it ever happened it would probably flow back into the tank, but I would rather not find out. ;) I will post a new one tomorrow night (pictures in the dark are always better). I have been diving within a month ago. I was just in Cozumel the week before last diving. I love it there, I cant wait to go back. I probably will go diving within a few weeks from now in the Puget Sound. A lot of people only like warm water diving only, but I enjoy cold too. Especially the days we go crabbing and have a feast and a beer afterwards!

Yeah that would suck! I think that if it ever happened it would probably flow back into the tank, but I would rather not find out. ;)

My office tank skimmer gets overfilled on weekends and just drains back into the tank. I have 4 vents on top that bubbles come out of if it is too full but nothing overflows.

blizzardscout2
My office tank gets overfilled on weekends and just drains back into the tank. I have 4 vents on top that bubbles come out of if it is too full but nothing overflows.

It appears that this cup has the same thing, so I am not too concerned about it. I have it right now so it would only overflow after about 4 days or more which also produces a much darker and cruddier foam.

I checked my nitrates before I performed a WC and they were at about 30. I did overfeed the last few days so I expected that. I am sure when I test tonight it will be way down. I also pulled a lot of hair algae off my rocks so hopefully that will help clear it out faster. Everything else was in check.

Yeah that would suck! I think that if it ever happened it would probably flow back into the tank, but I would rather not find out. ;) I will post a new one tomorrow night (pictures in the dark are always better). I have been diving within a month ago. I was just in Cozumel the week before last diving. I love it there, I cant wait to go back. I probably will go diving within a few weeks from now in the Puget Sound. A lot of people only like warm water diving only, but I enjoy cold too. Especially the days we go crabbing and have a feast and a beer afterwards!

Well thats good. Hey if you see any lumpsuckers or grunt sculpins let me know :) The crabs are delicious, love em.

You tank looks good, theres a bit of algae though haha

blizzardscout2

I finally got new legs for my Sunpod which well help make the temperature much more stable, but it seems that my Stealth heater is not working well because my tank was 72.7 when I got home today <_< . So I ordered a new heater I have been eyeing for a few months, a Finnex titanium heater with a digital temp display that is supposed to be very accurate. The lighting looks much better now that it isnt almost touching the surface, it throws a more even coverage over everything. Plus I think my leather is much happier because its polyps began coming out instantly after I raised it up which it has been pulled in most of the time since I replaced my bulb. Now off to test the water params...

Oops... I actually found that the temp probe was sitting out of the water, so yes it was 72.7 inside my house! :lol: It was actually at 79.9, but I am still ordering the heater because the heater has not been working well because it only keeps it up to 76 at night.

blizzardscout2

I have had a previous experience with a bristleworm when I was stung by one, but never saw it. Tonight though, I turned off my pump and powerhead and got to see 5 or 6 of the bastards swimming up to the surface while I was watching a movie (tank lights were off). So I used a small measuring cup to pull out 3 of them and drowned them in soapy water. Now there are only 2. The battle continues.... :P

blizzardscout2

I did a WC yesterday, it is unbelievable how many clumps of algae I pulled from it. It looks much better, but it is obvious it is still growing. So I am cutting my light cycle down to 8 hours like I had it when on vacation. I also plan on doing WC every other day, pulling out all algae until it is gone. I guess I have found out why they call it nuisance algae. <_<

I would not do water changes every other day, just weekly. Too many water changes can be bad. Just pull a few clumps out at a time rinsing your hand in RO each time. It will clear out pretty quick that way. It took mine a couple of weeks to look like it was going away and now its all gone.

blizzardscout2

Alright I will try that then. It actually already looks like it has made a difference. Between the 3 gallon WC, and pulling the clumps out, plus cutting the light cycle back. I dont want to make my corals suffer, but I figure having a Sunpod 70w will provide plenty for the 8 hrs it is on. Plus it is next to a few windows and receives some light from them during the day as well.

I just received the shipment with the Finnex 50w heater and placed it in the tank last night. It has kept the tank between 78-79 no problem. I really like that it is digital and it also has a seperate temp probe that I can place in a seperate chamber for better accuracy. I would highly recommend this to anyone.

I also received a pair of long tweezers to assist in the pulling of algae, a scalpel for fragging my zoas, C-Balance, and also the twin Azoo fans to keep my temp from rising during the day. I think that now that temps have come down I probably will not need to use the fan until next summer, but atleast I have it ready to go so I wont have another disaster.

I just ordered my Azoos fans yesterday. I have 2 computer fans right now but they are so ghetto on there I desided to make it look a bit more professional. I am not sure if reducing the light cycle will help much with that algae but 8 hours is still good enough for the corals. Pulling a couple of clumps a day will definately make it go away faster. The only good thing about it is it removes nitrates and phosphates from the tank lol. Let me know how it works out for you.

blizzardscout2
I just ordered my Azoos fans yesterday. I have 2 computer fans right now but they are so ghetto on there I desided to make it look a bit more professional. I am not sure if reducing the light cycle will help much with that algae but 8 hours is still good enough for the corals. Pulling a couple of clumps a day will definately make it go away faster. The only good thing about it is it removes nitrates and phosphates from the tank lol. Let me know how it works out for you.

Hehe, I thought about rigging up my own "ghetto" design for fans too, but after I saw these and for the price I had to get them. Like you said, much more professional. ;) Well I think I will go to town pulling some more clumps with my new tweezers. They should definitely put a dent in the problem.

blizzardscout2

I am thinking about moving the Aussie Red Acans down to the substrate, would this be okay? It seems like the colors have faded since they have been under the Sunpod. Any suggestions?

blizzardscout2

I decided to give fragging a go on my pink palys this am. I thought I was royally screwing everything up but it turned out to be a success. The colony is fine and just before the light went out the frag polyps were opening, one was even completely open! I also took the liberty of glueing down my newly aquired Monti and I also removed my Duncans from their frag plug and glued it straight to the live rock (not very easily and a little messy too). They are also doing well. I will post new pics after I get off work Monday am.

Hurray! Isnt is nice to see things open after fragging? I have a couple of zoas that I have glued down to thier own rocks and they are happy now and I have a couple of shrooms I cut off the rock and they are attached to another rock and a shroom is popping out where the old one was. I can't wait to see pics :happy: .

blizzardscout2
Hurray! Isnt is nice to see things open after fragging? I have a couple of zoas that I have glued down to thier own rocks and they are happy now and I have a couple of shrooms I cut off the rock and they are attached to another rock and a shroom is popping out where the old one was. I can't wait to see pics :happy: .

Yeah it is! I was really worried about them not making it, so to seem them even begin to open was a relief. I thought it took days to completely open after fraggin but apparently not. I was scarred for my duncans too because I handled them so much. They ended up letting off a lot of slime, but they looked okay last night as well. :happydance:

Archived