• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

GioReef

GioReef

• Members
  • 2,560 posts
  • Joined 08 Jan 2008
  • Tucson,AZ

Ok i have heard that it is best to float snails and not use drip cause the less they are in the bag the better. I will be getting them from my lfs so they will be in the plastic bag. What method should i use?

For the hermit crabs i have heard drip is better... is that true?

How do you guys acclimate your CUC?

Thanks

CSoli921

CSoli921

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,156 posts
  • Joined 27 Dec 2007
  • New Jersey - Ocean County
i just floated the bags for snails, hermits, emerald crab, and a skunk cleaner.. all have been healthy

GioReef

GioReef

• Members
  • 2,560 posts
  • Joined 08 Jan 2008
  • Tucson,AZ
Ok... so for the shrimp you did float also? I have heard that shrimp acclimation is the hardest...

H20

H20

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 826 posts
  • Joined 05 Sep 2007
I have had numerous snails and hermits, and flotaed them all, and they did fine.

I also have had 3 shrimp and floated them as well, and they turned out fine too.

derekandrenee

derekandrenee

..In an Octopus' garden in the shade (Beatles)

• Members
  • 497 posts
  • Joined 10 Oct 2007
  • Dallas Freakin' Texas
Floating is fine.....no problems.
Derek and Renée
25G LPS/Softies
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)

Posted Image

justaguy2

justaguy2

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Joined 22 Nov 2007

Ok... so for the shrimp you did float also? I have heard that shrimp acclimation is the hardest...

I have heard that as well, but given that shrimp are sometimes found as hitchhikers on LR it would seem they aren't really that difficult. I float for about 15 minutes and then in they go.

TheUnfocusedOne

TheUnfocusedOne

Ya Dingus

• Members
  • 11,004 posts
  • Joined 16 Jul 2007
  • NC
snails n hermits can float deff
ive been through probaly almost 40 total hermits n snails just bag floating
never had a problem once

i drip shrimps though
jut to be safe

Life is not a quantified system of equations and inequalities.

The Unfocused Cube

Alexraptor

Alexraptor

Stomatopod in a human suit!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Joined 27 Feb 2005
  • Sweden
The question is, what is better for the animals? A single shock from the water parameters, or a prolonged stress of fluctuating temperature and water parameters? I imagine that the water in the bag could fluctuate more temperature wise since its such a small volume of water.

scarfish

scarfish

scrotum skins yall

• Members
  • 16,616 posts
  • Joined 27 Sep 2007
  • mexico

The question is, what is better for the animals? A single shock from the water parameters, or a prolonged stress of fluctuating temperature and water parameters? I imagine that the water in the bag could fluctuate more temperature wise since its such a small volume of water.

Drip acclimation is better but more painstaking and floating is easier and works good enough.
Posted Image

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist

Legal Reefer

• Members
  • 7,134 posts
  • Joined 22 Jan 2008
  • Northeast Ohio, Ohio

I have heard that as well, but given that shrimp are sometimes found as hitchhikers on LR it would seem they aren't really that difficult. I float for about 15 minutes and then in they go.

I floated for 20 minutes, then added 1/4 cup of tank water every 5 minutes 3 times, emptied half the bag, then did 4 more 1/4 cups every five minutes. After just a minute or two of being put in the tank, they scampered off and began eating!

MJ's 29g Barrel O' Monkeys - All kinds of shenanigans

Feedback Thread

Buy #### from MJ whenever he posts it for sale. That is all.