GioReef

Acclimating Crabs and Snails

Ok i have heard that it is best to float snails and not use drip cause the less they are in the bag the better. I will be getting them from my lfs so they will be in the plastic bag. What method should i use?

For the hermit crabs i have heard drip is better... is that true?

How do you guys acclimate your CUC?

Thanks

i just floated the bags for snails, hermits, emerald crab, and a skunk cleaner.. all have been healthy

Ok... so for the shrimp you did float also? I have heard that shrimp acclimation is the hardest...

I have had numerous snails and hermits, and flotaed them all, and they did fine.

I also have had 3 shrimp and floated them as well, and they turned out fine too.

Floating is fine.....no problems.

Ok... so for the shrimp you did float also? I have heard that shrimp acclimation is the hardest...

I have heard that as well, but given that shrimp are sometimes found as hitchhikers on LR it would seem they aren't really that difficult. I float for about 15 minutes and then in they go.

snails n hermits can float deff

ive been through probaly almost 40 total hermits n snails just bag floating

never had a problem once

i drip shrimps though

jut to be safe

The question is, what is better for the animals? A single shock from the water parameters, or a prolonged stress of fluctuating temperature and water parameters? I imagine that the water in the bag could fluctuate more temperature wise since its such a small volume of water.

The question is, what is better for the animals? A single shock from the water parameters, or a prolonged stress of fluctuating temperature and water parameters? I imagine that the water in the bag could fluctuate more temperature wise since its such a small volume of water.

Drip acclimation is better but more painstaking and floating is easier and works good enough.

I have heard that as well, but given that shrimp are sometimes found as hitchhikers on LR it would seem they aren't really that difficult. I float for about 15 minutes and then in they go.

I floated for 20 minutes, then added 1/4 cup of tank water every 5 minutes 3 times, emptied half the bag, then did 4 more 1/4 cups every five minutes. After just a minute or two of being put in the tank, they scampered off and began eating!