Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kinetic 82g

kinetic

TriggerHappyDude
I just started using those NP Biopellets couple days ago. Gotta wait atleast a couple weeks, they say, to start seeing results. My nitrates and phosphates read zero on my test kits but I still see quite a bit of algae on the glass after a couple days and have some gha and bubble algae on some corals. I also feed quite heavily. We shall see if it helps.

I'm having the same issues with my 34g Solana, nitrates and phosphates reading, from what I can tell with the API kit to be near or around 0, but get the dust algae on the glass after a few days, not much gha, but more bubble algae than I'd like to see, and some other viney kind of algae too. I need to quit feeding every day and cut back to every two or three days, but my fish just love to eat...

I need to get a bigger tank, I'm jealous of all these 100+ gallon tanks around here!

Edited by TriggerHappyDude
I'm having the same issues with my 34g Solana, nitrates and phosphates reading, from what I can tell with the API kit to be near or around 0, but get the dust algae on the glass after a few days, not much gha, but more bubble algae than I'd like to see, and some other viney kind of algae too. I need to quit feeding every day and cut back to every two or three days, but my fish just love to eat...

I need to get a bigger tank, I'm jealous of all these 100+ gallon tanks around here!

That's pretty much what I have, minus the viney kind of algae. I have more bubble than gha as well. My emerald crabs are useless. Good thing the bubble algae is on frags that I can pull out and remove manually. I will give my emarald crabs a couple more days before I start plucking them out. I feed my fish twice a day and my sun corals three times a week. I don't really want to cut down and I'm sure my anthias don't want me too either. So hopefully the NP Biopellets work.

The problem with this hobby is that your tank is never big enough. I just got the 120g last year and right now I'm feeling it is still too small. Lol. I would actually like a few smaller tanks since there are so many livestock I would like to keep but I always run into compatibility issues. BTW, I wish I had a 34g Solana instead of my 28g Nanocube. =)

I'm glad I don't have any bubble or hair algae =) I've been really careful with introducing any algae to the tank. Starting this from dry rock has been awesome.

Here's the surprise:

4313237688_ca0295a416.jpg

Finally the timing was right, and I found a small 2" female Genicanthus Bellus off Diver's Den. Nobody swooped her up because juvi's usually don't have the pronounced red / orange of the older ones. I love raising fish small.

She started eating frozen, flake, and pellet! My other fish have pigged out with the incredible amounts of feedings I've been doing to fatten her up. I've had her for 3 days now. She's less shy and swims out a lot more often. No signs of swim bladder damage.

I did get a scare when I first netted her into the tank. She got sucked right into the grill of the vortech. *sigh*. I thought she was a goner. Anyway, turned the vortechs off for a few hours and she was fine.

Now she's learned to stay away from those things.

Swims strong, I'm hoping she lasts a long time and didn't bring any pests, because I didn't QT =P I QT'd my last bellus for 3 weeks, and I still got Marine Velvet, it's inevitable.

TriggerHappyDude

Nice! Great shot too, of her, she's beautiful.

PS, I love my ATI Powermodule T5 lights, but your tank has sold me on the Giesemann Infinity lights.

So my next tank will have these instead, where did you purchase yours from?

Nice! Great shot too, of her, she's beautiful.

PS, I love my ATI Powermodule T5 lights, but your tank has sold me on the Giesemann Infinity lights.

So my next tank will have these instead, where did you purchase yours from?

Giesemann Infinity looks great, and is absolutely silent (no fans). When they turn off, you sometimes get the sounds of the metal cooling off, so it pings a bit but isn't often.

I ordered mine through a LFS. Custom painted polar white from Giesemann =) Took a long long time to get.

TriggerHappyDude
Giesemann Infinity looks great, and is absolutely silent (no fans). When they turn off, you sometimes get the sounds of the metal cooling off, so it pings a bit but isn't often.

I ordered mine through a LFS. Custom painted polar white from Giesemann =) Took a long long time to get.

Which model did you get?

600 mm

1 x 150 Watt / 2 x 24 Watt T5

600 mm

1 x 150 Watt / 4 x 24 Watt T5

600 mm

1 x 250 Watt / 2 x 24 Watt T5

600 mm

1 x 250 Watt / 4x 24 Watt T5

1200 mm

2 x 150 Watt / 2 x 54 Watt T5

1200 mm

2 x 150 Watt / 4 x 54 Watt T5

1200 mm

2 x 250 Watt / 2x 54 Watt T5

1200 mm

2 x 250 Watt / 4x 54 Watt T5

1800 mm

3 x 150 Watt / 2 x 80 Watt T5

1800 mm

3 x 150 Watt / 4x 80 Watt T5

1800 mm

3 x 250 Watt / 2 x 80 Watt T5

1800 mm

3 x 250 Watt / 4 x 80 Watt T5

TriggerHappyDude
1200mm 2x250 mh de, 4x54 t5

Cool thanks, just trying to gauge what size I'd need for my future tank.

I think it will be close to your 120 ELOS...might be an ELSO or AGE.

I wanted to ask you, and in general why do people go with Bare Bottom tanks?

Is it easier to maintain, or is there less "gunk" etc? Whats the reasoning?

Cool thanks, just trying to gauge what size I'd need for my future tank.

I think it will be close to your 120 ELOS...might be an ELSO or AGE.

my next is an AGE. getting my new house remodel done and then going to order it.

48" x 32" x 24"

4 sides low-iron

White PVC bottom

costs less than my current ELOS 120 did.

hey art, i have the tunze all setup in my tank now, works great, but kind of hard to dial, day by day

neways your new fish looks great, im glad you finally found one

hey art, i have the tunze all setup in my tank now, works great, but kind of hard to dial, day by day

neways your new fish looks great, im glad you finally found one

Glad it's working for ya. Skimmers are always finicky, one week they're great, next they totally overflow. I have that problem with my current BubbleKing. I'm trying to figure out what exactly makes it explode all of a sudden.

But yeah, here's the old fish I had:

2871445037_140f491645.jpg

This is the new again:

4313237688_ca0295a416.jpg

The old one I had was more like 3.5", and already developed some orange/reds. Otherwise they look pretty similar. The 2" still has a lot more juvi traits and hasn't developed as well.

I think this one is going to do great! No marine velvet pleeeeeeease!

Edited by kinetic
TriggerHappyDude
my next is an AGE. getting my new house remodel done and then going to order it.

48" x 32" x 24"

4 sides low-iron

White PVC bottom

costs less than my current ELOS 120 did.

I hope you document it well, I will want to follow it!

Please be very detailed, so I can learn.

I've read other people who are ATI owners complain or worry about Giesemann's T5 fixtures with no fans, do you have any issues with no fans; besides the NOT having any sound which you like, but like heat issues?

I hope you document it well, I will want to follow it!

Please be very detailed, so I can learn.

I've read other people who are ATI owners complain or worry about Giesemann's T5 fixtures with no fans, do you have any issues with no fans; besides the NOT having any sound which you like, but like heat issues?

I don't have any issues at all. I wonder if there are long term issues where bulbs might have a shorter lifespan, but I'm ok with replacing bulbs more often if it means it's silent while running.

TriggerHappyDude
I don't have any issues at all. I wonder if there are long term issues where bulbs might have a shorter lifespan, but I'm ok with replacing bulbs more often if it means it's silent while running.

Yeah, thats a good point. Did you consult other owners before you bought the fixture?

I don't recall exactly your early threads, but didn't you start off with a different fixture and move to this one?

I'm sure if there were real issues, somewhere we'd of read/heard about them?

Yeah, thats a good point. Did you consult other owners before you bought the fixture?

I don't recall exactly your early threads, but didn't you start off with a different fixture and move to this one?

I'm sure if there were real issues, somewhere we'd of read/heard about them?

I talked to about twenty people who owned them. The issues range from poor electrical problems that are hard to get support for since Giesemann is in Germany to the fact that they wanted more PAR and went with some T5 fixture.

Nothing really busted about the no-fans issue, and the problems are comparable if not less than a lot of other problems fixtures have.

So no, nothing in particular is that bad.

I've had other fixtures, all with fans, all way too noisy.

Absolutely beautiful specimen Kinetic. They have to be some of the more unique and special reef fish in my opinion. Always liked their general shape, coloration, and the movement that they add to a tank. I hope that it does fantastic for you and that you have it for years and years to come.

-Adam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You're easily my favorite photographer on the site. I love how you manage to blow out all the highlights and shadows but still retain all the detail and vibrant colors of the subject. Unreal.

TriggerHappyDude
You're easily my favorite photographer on the site. I love how you manage to blow out all the highlights and shadows but still retain all the detail and vibrant colors of the subject. Unreal.

Amen to this, +100,000,000

So true. I want him to teach me his ways, but of course a magician never reveals his tricks! ;)

Amen to this, +100,000,000

So true. I want him to teach me his ways, but of course a magician never reveals his tricks! ;)

I don't have any tricks =) You keep saying I do! haha. If you come to San Francisco, I'll be happy to show you whatever I do when I take pictures =)

TriggerHappyDude
I don't have any tricks =) You keep saying I do! haha. If you come to San Francisco, I'll be happy to show you whatever I do when I take pictures =)

I will be close next week, Vegas baby! We should do an iChat on the Mac where I can watch you in action, then I'll see these "tricks"...hahahaha...