Reeferboys Bc29-Possible To Move Or Duplicate This Thread In Members Forum?
Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:00 AM
Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:45 PM
Need some help, i think spagetti worms are annhilating my zoas, anyone ever heard of this? i had to take my big zoa colony and break it up to try to avoid losing the whole thing, my sand bed is littered with spagetti worms which from what i have read isnt a problem but some may have came in attached to the zoa colony and almost wiped it.......all other corals are completely fine
Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:08 PM
my roommates tank rsm130d is an established system an all is well. he just added a toadstool leather which was healthy at lfs. a week later it has some kind of infection or rotting and the polyps wont open. see the picture here
any help would be appreciated asap as to what it is or what do to.
we are probably going to cut it out with a razor but would it be better to cut it completely on an angle and then place elsewhere in the tank?
Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:53 AM
Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:53 PM
* so my roommate decided to go ahead and completely cut the coral off the rock on this / kinda angle thus eliminating the bad spot. it seems to have worked well. to resecure the coral to a new rock he used an interesting method he found somewhere that involved running a toothpick directly through the base of the corals stalk and then rubber banding the toothpick down to the rock...... the coral is responding well and all polys are back out - ill try n get a pic of what he did tmrw - n maybe a fts update of my tank growing in if i feel like it
Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:12 PM
some visible growth over the 6 weeks, some corals moved around to make room for a couple of new ones. one of which i need help with the id
need help with this ones id
mar 2nd fts
some micromusa still growing well
closer left side
closer right side
these zoas cool color
the clown hosting
i really gotta get a macro lens
hope you enjoy everyone
Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:45 PM
eating time fts
eat up elephant musroom
blastomusa eat a little and top down acentic shot
acanastrea top down acentic only shot
pulsing xenia shots
scolymia button coral - nice mouth shot
MYSTERY CORAL - PLZ HELP ID - STANG ITS NOT A CANDY CANE THX ANYWAYS
Ruffled ridge coral (pagoda coral) almost doubled since i got it in polyp count
any comments / questions / advice always appreciated. enjoy everyone
Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:28 AM
Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:22 AM
plus slight scape change on right side. hope you all enjoy
home sweet home
this acan may has probably quadrupled in size
this mushroom has been razor trimmed 5 times in 7 months !!
duncan type coral doing vwell with new high placement
blastomusa party !!
slightly different angled fts
Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:14 PM
Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:42 AM
if you got a rock with GSP on it or the Frag , lay the rock up against the back wall. The mat will end up spreading on the glass ... Of corse coraline on the glass there helps...
Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:14 AM
Tank looks great, btw!
Edited by shroomie, 13 December 2012 - 07:14 AM.
Solana 34 Mixed Reef
26 gal Softie Reef
Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:17 AM
You may need to introduce coraline if you don't have any.
Edited by markalot, 13 December 2012 - 07:18 AM.
Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:42 AM
First off, do you have an algae issues? The tank looks terrific, so I'm wondering how much work it is to keep everything looking so clean.
How often do you change the water and how much?
How do you take care of that sandbed, if you do anything?
Please start testing and reporting Alk, Calcium, and SG (salinity). This really helps the rest of us determine what is working for people or to diagnose problems.
You mention adding purpleup but nothing else. Purpleup is mainly calcium and you report calcium is staying at 400 which tells me both calc and alk is being used up. You might have an imbalance ... yet everything looks great.
I read the entire thread, sorry you didn't get a lot of help in the past but it may be lack of parameters and the forum you're in.
I love those blastos
Edited by markalot, 13 December 2012 - 07:43 AM.
Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:34 PM
first off thanks for taking the time the read the whole thread. i read both your in return
is there a way for me to move this thread into members aquariums?
in response to your questions
1. ill consider testing params and stuff for the benefit of others but i dont have the best kits in terms of accuracy and dont pay much attention or test ever to be honest.
2. water changes. every week i change 5 gallons...sometimes every two weeks if im lazy. its a 29 gallon so water volume is prob around 22 gallons ... so that would put it at around 20-25% water change, the little aqualife skimmer i got is amazing and helps hugely.
3.every now and then i do a random double water change...ill do a 5 gallon one day and another 5 gallon the next day. i dont know why i do this just feels right and seems to work
4. i have 0 algea in terms of hair/cyano...never got any since recovering from the crash (the little lawnmower blenny prob helps) i feed him seaweed a couple of times a week. i get grime algea that grows on glass that has to be razored of once a week which takes like 10 mins right before water change....also what i find is weird is when i wait two weeks for water change and dont touch the grime i get these little astrea stars on the glass like CRAZY !! also the blenny eats the stuff on the glass too
5. a barely add purple up anymore, not too concerned with coraline growth anymore i guess my tank just does not have the conditions/lighting for it caus i have tried everything from scrapings from my roommates tank too a rock from fish store cover in it in the tank to placing a little frag of rock covered in it in my return pump outlet to spread it everywhere
6. the sandbed.....i think its about 3-4 inches so is just about a DSB. i dont do anything to it, dont touch it, stir it, clean it. nothing. i have about 10 hermits that have been alive for a long time..little guys like the size of a peanut dont know anything over other than the occasional zoa frag. i have two nassarius snails that have been alive for like 3 years..these guys live in the sand and come out mainly for food i have like 3-4 turbo snails..im waiting for boxing week to go grab a bunch more snails and hermits
7. you didnt ask about feeding or dosing but heres what i do recently
- capful or frozen cube of something everyday sometimes everyother day.
monday - a cap of aquavitro fuel n feed a few fish pellets
tuesday - two cubes of mysis. or a cube of mysis and a cube of cyclopzee
wednesday - a cap of marine snow n feed a few pellets
thursday - a capful of plankton and i use this stuff that i mix with saltwater from tank called maybe some more mysis....i feel if i was a fish i would want to eat at least once a day. so i try to fish my feed once a day
friday - meh maybe nothing other than a few pellets for the fishies
sat - more fuel n mysis
sun- marine snow pellets
small sidenote.....i feed all of the above in the later part of the "lights on day" when all corals are in full bloom
i think my tank does well for soft corals....i think stony corals dont like my water because its quite nutrient heavy but i could be wrongs
8. temperature. ugh summer sucks. always lose a couple of corals or a fish because it gets just two hot...might consider a chiller but its in the bedroom n if makes noise the missus wont be happy
any questions or feedback feel free to post/comment. heres an fts from right this minute with some grime on glass to show you what i mean
heres an fts with water marks grime n a coral bottom left recovering from whatever has annoyed it...maybe like xenia it has just decided to melt away. hopefully not
just to show u guys it dosent always look sharp n crisp
heres the grime i talk about above
heres two odd anenome/mushroom type creatures...were in different spots in tank a on different sides of the tank a month ago and have found their way to eachother somehow. fascinating !!
Are you still dosing purple up? Coralline needs a few things to get started, stable levels of strontium, low phosphates, mag, alk and calcium should start it up. Do you have a test kit for any of these? If you do, I would test weekly and log it to make sure you are stable, and dose accordingly.
Tank looks great, btw!
ur tank links dont work.......i wanted to look at them
Edited by REEFERBOY, 13 December 2012 - 11:31 PM.