Coral Vue Hydros

120 Gallon Monster...mutates into a 156 Gallon Beast!

eddie29

no it'll be a reef of some sort. Porbably a majority lps and a few sps. I wouldn't collecting a few of the rarer sps out there.

Also, found out about the stand. Thats a negative...8 weeks and counting. I was told though tonight that it would be done tomorrow morning for sure. So I guess thats good news. So once that gets done I'm going to start building the the stand for it. I've taken a week off in March for this project but I think I can get a few things done before then. Also the Marcos rock should be here in the next week or so, I finally got my pieces choosen...woot woot

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the stand is in!! WoOT!! WOOT!

The build is top notch, as previsouly mentioned I added additional support. He took the liberty of redesigning it a bit so that it was stronger, needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. Here are the pics. Now to cut the birch down to size and get started.

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

• 1 month later...

wow. major improvement on the stand. when i seen the first pic of it i almost had a heart attack because i would not trust a tank that size with a stand like that. the more triangulation the better. the new design is much stronger the the previous.

• 2 months later...

so its been a long time since I've done much of anything, and I need to update. I took teh weef off to do nothing, and instead decided to actually get somewhere with this tank.

so I took the week off, and besides finding myself a rusted out stand and a wacked out 125 I've been up to more no good.....i really should be studying again for the CPA.

Anyways, nothing has been glued or screwed it, just doing a dry run, and I still need to cut a few more pieces.

DSC_0250.JPG

DSC_0251.JPG

The plan is to do two sheets of ply on top, then on the back and bottom. Lastly I'll skin the columns (which you can kind of tell) and sides.

Hopefully that'll support 1800 lbs or so. As you can see the steel stand will be used, but hopefully more of a backup should the doubled up 2x4s not be able to completly support the tank.

Heres what I did today....

DSC_0252.JPG

DSC_0253.JPG

I still need to put some additional vertical posts in the back and perhaps one or two on the sides. Lastly I need to work on the skin of the stand, and the columns. One might wonder why the steel stand and wood stand, I'm being super careful as this tank is a monster.

Hopefully I can wrap everything up by tomorrow

a little work done today after playing golf. I still need to flip it over and do the bottom, and do a second coat all the way around and do some sanding but I think its progressing well. The deadline to get everything sanded and painted is Friday since I'll be gone for a week afterwards for training.

DSC_0001.JPG

Do you guys think it'll support a 156 gallon tank, I'd say all said and done it'll be around 2000 lbs, the tank alone is around 400 lbs

• 2 months later...

Archived