8 replies to this topic

Venetia

Venetia

I don't have a solution but I admire the problem."

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Joined 22 Jan 2007
  • Indy

A couple days ago I went to pick up my Blenny and clown from quarentine and put them in my 10 gal. The tank had been sitting there for a month because my last blenny and clown died from ich. Or so I thought. I noticed as soon as the lights went out their first night these things started leaping from the bottom of the tank. I caught the ones that are in the photo's. Then last night I looke after the lights went out that there are quite a few of them crawling on the rocks and whatnot. Please help! What can I do????

Edited by Venetia, 10 March 2007 - 03:31 PM.

10G & 29G Coral Reefs, a 20G with a GSP.

>>> My 29G Reef <<<
> The Thread All About It <

Posted Image

reefman23

reefman23

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 855 posts
  • Joined 11 Nov 2005
  • Huntington Beach, Ca
Looks like a Cirolanid to me... I dont know much about them though other than they are usually parasites so Ill leave it to this link...

http://www.reefkeepi...02/bp/index.php

Goby Dick

Goby Dick

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 21 Aug 2006
From the smaller eyes you may have sphaeromatids rather than cirolanids. Follow this link and then follow all the links from there to the sphaeromatid pictures. The examples you've caught look like females.

http://www.reefkeepi...05/rs/index.php

I think you need to catch one alive and perform the 'pillbug test'. If it can roll into a ball its a harmless sphaeromatid and you can (as far as I'm aware) sleep a little easier. If you can catch a male with the distinctive tail appendages then that would also be good for ID purposes.

Ade.

fishwatcher

fishwatcher

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 03 Dec 2006
  • Hampton, Virginia
I canít tell you exactly what they are but I have the same thing. These things multiply fast. I have been pulling them out of the tank 5 to 10 at a time for at least 3 weeks. But they never seem to diminish in number. I also believe they are eating my coraline algae. The algae is disappearing despite high calcium and lighting and the bugs are now taking on the color of the algae. Seeing lots of the bugs with purple in them now. I have been losing fish so I have decided to tear the tank apart and start a new one. I am actually scrubbing my rocks today and to try and get rid of these things. (I fear it will not be successful though).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Kelpie

Kelpie

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 779 posts
  • Joined 17 Apr 2004
  • Roanoke, Virginia

I canít tell you exactly what they are but I have the same thing. These things multiply fast. I have been pulling them out of the tank 5 to 10 at a time for at least 3 weeks. But they never seem to diminish in number. I also believe they are eating my coraline algae. The algae is disappearing despite high calcium and lighting and the bugs are now taking on the color of the algae. Seeing lots of the bugs with purple in them now. I have been losing fish so I have decided to tear the tank apart and start a new one. I am actually scrubbing my rocks today and to try and get rid of these things. (I fear it will not be successful though).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is there a natural predator on these?

fishwatcher

fishwatcher

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 03 Dec 2006
  • Hampton, Virginia

Is there a natural predator on these?

Turkey bastor fish

yota924x4

yota924x4

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Joined 02 Sep 2002
i found one of these suckers today when adding in a new chunk or LR with zoa's

Posted Image
Posted Image

adinsxq

adinsxq

hello kitty

• Moderators
  • 14,523 posts
  • Joined 30 Sep 2002
  • CA, VA
those are so cute.

Long live the CM!

The Propagator

The Propagator

Lord Of The Reef's

• Members
  • 13,587 posts
  • Joined 16 Jun 2006
  • Cincinnati, Ohio
They almost look like slipper lobster larvae dont they.
:)

MY BUYING / SELLING FEED BACK

The Propagators 100 Gallon prop tank

Posted Image "more cow bell !" Posted Image

Home of the LE Fart In-A-Bag
Posted Image

Have you heard the news?
Click here to find out !

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"