Coral Vue Hydros

Cirolanid Isopod? Please say no!

Venetia

A couple days ago I went to pick up my Blenny and clown from quarentine and put them in my 10 gal. The tank had been sitting there for a month because my last blenny and clown died from ich. Or so I thought. I noticed as soon as the lights went out their first night these things started leaping from the bottom of the tank. I caught the ones that are in the photo's. Then last night I looke after the lights went out that there are quite a few of them crawling on the rocks and whatnot. Please help! What can I do????

From the smaller eyes you may have sphaeromatids rather than cirolanids. Follow this link and then follow all the links from there to the sphaeromatid pictures. The examples you've caught look like females.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/index.php

I think you need to catch one alive and perform the 'pillbug test'. If it can roll into a ball its a harmless sphaeromatid and you can (as far as I'm aware) sleep a little easier. If you can catch a male with the distinctive tail appendages then that would also be good for ID purposes.

Ade.

fishwatcher

I can’t tell you exactly what they are but I have the same thing. These things multiply fast. I have been pulling them out of the tank 5 to 10 at a time for at least 3 weeks. But they never seem to diminish in number. I also believe they are eating my coraline algae. The algae is disappearing despite high calcium and lighting and the bugs are now taking on the color of the algae. Seeing lots of the bugs with purple in them now. I have been losing fish so I have decided to tear the tank apart and start a new one. I am actually scrubbing my rocks today and to try and get rid of these things. (I fear it will not be successful though).

HPIM2086.JPG

HPIM2087.JPG

I can’t tell you exactly what they are but I have the same thing. These things multiply fast. I have been pulling them out of the tank 5 to 10 at a time for at least 3 weeks. But they never seem to diminish in number. I also believe they are eating my coraline algae. The algae is disappearing despite high calcium and lighting and the bugs are now taking on the color of the algae. Seeing lots of the bugs with purple in them now. I have been losing fish so I have decided to tear the tank apart and start a new one. I am actually scrubbing my rocks today and to try and get rid of these things. (I fear it will not be successful though).

HPIM2086.JPG

HPIM2087.JPG

Is there a natural predator on these?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived