Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Phixion's Aquapod 12g

Phixion

Yeah you probably got those stars from me. When I started up my tank I threw in some brittle stars and within a few weeks they were everywhere! They probably came in on some zoo frags because I always find a ton.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah you probably got those stars from me. When I started up my tank I threw in some brittle stars and within a few weeks they were everywhere! They probably came in on some zoo frags because I always find a ton.

haha, it's all good. Dave told me they more than likely came from you. But hey, I need some good sand sifting!! How big should they get, or are they micro stars?

They are pretty small. I haven't seen any in my tank that are bigger than a dime with their legs fully extended.

Which of those xenia from me? They got big fast!

The left most stalk on the top is from you. :) The rest were from a member in Gardena that I picked 3 frags up from. All of those fargs have split and moved around. Yours has pretty much just grown TALL and moved around (about 3 inches to the right of where it started out at).

• 3 weeks later...
matt can you get a side shot of your tank? im intrested in how you scaped your rocks :happy:

It's better to see in person, but i can certainly try, well from the left side at least. I only have 4 main rock pieces! The main big piece is actually a giant branch that I bought like an idiot thinking it was cool... =/ Actually I have 5 rock pieces if you count the polyp covered one I bought from Jin. B)

haha awesome. i thought you had many tiny branches. i went to PTF after class today and picked up a minijet 606 because they didnt have any 404 but on low setting it'll blow only 80 gph. where can i get a cheaply priced hydroflow? the one at PTF run for $20+

haha awesome. i thought you had many tiny branches. i went to PTF after class today and picked up a minijet 606 because they didnt have any 404 but on low setting it'll blow only 80 gph. where can i get a cheaply priced hydroflow? the one at PTF run for $20+

PTF drygoods = ripoff. :-x

I LOVE their livestock though! :D I'd place the flow for the 606 at either 1/4 or 1/2 of the way to max. I'm remembering that I have the 404 and have it set at full power which is 108gph and it works great! I also like in the ICA thread, am running tubing ONLY between the pump and ICA, the return I don't run any tubing from back into the chamber. Works great this way, just be sure to turn off the pump before opening the hood, or the water will shoot out all over across the tank from the hood, lol! :-x

And it's kinda funny, my huge branch piece looks like a lot of small branches, but only because I have it on it's side the the "tops" facing the front.

im runnin tubing to and from my ica. the return tubing goes from the top of chamber one to the bottom and blows out form the bottom of chamber two.

lets see some pics of the perc!

I will for sure! I took a couple last night, so I'll size them up and post them along with a side shot of the tank for you. ;)

I ditched tubing from the return side of the ICA because well mainly since I'm still running to sponge in chamber 1, it's just a lot of junk to fit into the chamber, especially with opening and closing of the hood. But in your case, at least you don't have to unplug the ICA pump to open the hood. :P I don't mind though, helps me keep the tank closed since the less hands that are in there, the better it'll be.But with no return hose, the water still goes into chamber 2 mainly because of the part of the divider you have to cut out for the ICA to fit and hood close properly. Really it'll work just as fine either way you have it. How's your temps doing now or what are they at?

UPDATED PICS!! :D

First one is for quy_nquyen, a side view of my tank/rock work/ B)

tank_side.jpg

And here's a pic of my new Percula Clownfish. He's about and inch long right now, so a small one.

phizzle.jpg

i like how your rocks look "real" . My rocks still have like an artificial stacked look to it. the clown looks really nice. maybe in a few weeks i'll head over to PTF to get one that size.

today was the first day i ran my chiller continiously and i noticed that i had a 1-2 degree rise from normal... is this like a break in period for the ICA or is there a serious problem with my unit....

Give it some time. It can take up to 24-36 hours I've heard/seen to get to working and keeping the temps down. How are your fans situated again? And if I remember right, you cut your fan slats before you ordered the ICA... I'll try to help you out with it as best I can, so no worries. B) I feel I'm almost as seasoned with it as Chris is from Nanotuners, lol!

I LOVE my rock. I was seriously hesitant about rock from PTF, but it's worked out better than great!! Livestock the same so far dispite what I've heard *cough*John*cough* :D haha j/k d00d. but yeah, Phizzle is doing just fine, and appears to be warming up to my torch, so I think that'll be its host pretty soon. Last night I had a dream that he was covered with ick. :( He was fine this morning when i checked him though. *sigh*

how much are rocks at PTF? the store near my house has just raised price to 4 dollar a lb for some ugly fiji rocks.... after sticking your hand into their water for rocks you'll be all itchy and red bumps will form on your hand... happened to two of my freinds and i.. so if PTF's price is not off the chart then i pick up some rocks. hopefully like yours :D

how much are rocks at PTF? the store near my house has just raised price to 4 dollar a lb for some ugly fiji rocks.... after sticking your hand into their water for rocks you'll be all itchy and red bumps will form on your hand... happened to two of my freinds and i.. so if PTF's price is not off the chart then i pick up some rocks. hopefully like yours :D

Well my 15lbs. of Fiji set me back $103... So like $5 a poind roughly? Yes expensive, but it's equals out to about the same as if I were to order online, with the ADDED benifit of being able to pick my own rock. ;) I picked from both the 20g on the middle of the store next to the koi pool, and also from the large back tank. When I was rummaging through it, I kept having the fear that a mantis would pop my hand off, lol! But in the end it was VERY much worth the price!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another "latest" pic, snapped this morning! I removed the rock with xenias and a couple shrooms on it, due to inadvertanly killing the xenia which trying to clean the rock off from a massive bryopsis and RBA colony infestation. When I put the rock back in, the xenia on it ALL looked melted and just dead, barely pulsing. In it's place, I relocated the rather large "putting green" (as Floorlord appropriately named it) colony of palys I got the week before last in it's place. I figure more light would do them good anyways.So on with the pic!!

reef_5.jpg

Yet another "latest" pic, snapped this morning! I removed the rock with xenias and a couple shrooms on it, due to inadvertanly killing the xenia which trying to clean the rock off from a massive bryopsis and RBA colony infestation. When I put the rock back in, the xenia on it ALL looked melted and just dead, barely pulsing. In it's place, I relocated the rather large "putting green" (as Floorlord appropriately named it) colony of palys I got the week before last in it's place. I figure more light would do them good anyways.So on with the pic!!

reef_5.jpg

Look at you Matt ! your tanks coming along I still want that xenia but since I can not keep a tank for more than 6 months lol I have gone and bought a new 20 gallon. I swear this is the last time I will upgrade for a bigger tank ( you know thats a lie lol)I want my tank to mature so I will not for a year or just buy another tank to start. anyways I am trying to get the 20 together its a PITA too

ttyl

O I forgot to add this looking at your pics it seems you have a bit of algae growing

what snails do you have now ?

Look at you Matt ! your tanks coming along I still want that xenia but since I can not keep a tank for more than 6 months lol I have gone and bought a new 20 gallon. I swear this is the last time I will upgrade for a bigger tank ( you know thats a lie lol)I want my tank to mature so I will not for a year or just buy another tank to start. anyways I am trying to get the 20 together its a PITA too

ttyl

O I forgot to add this looking at your pics it seems you have a bit of algae growing

what snails do you have now ?

Sadly i do, and some bryopsis at that. :( I just have a turbo and a cerith snail right now, as well as 4 hermits (2 blue leg, one scarlet and one zebra). I definitely need more snails, or an urchin or something to eat this stuff up!! I still have the zoa frag and some xenia with your name on it, Kerry! ;)

Oh yeah, talk about upgrading... I will be soon too, I've been eyeing out the Finnex M frameless glass tank or a Clear For Life 20g tank. Eitherway, I need something bigger for sure!!

Tank's looking tight, Phix. I just sold a 20 gallon CFL over the weekend, if I knew you were looking for one, I would've hooked you up.

Have you checked out my 10 gallon contest tank? Its starting to take shape. Let me know what you think!

Peace.

Sadly i do, and some bryopsis at that. :( I just have a turbo and a cerith snail right now, as well as 4 hermits (2 blue leg, one scarlet and one zebra). I definitely need more snails, or an urchin or something to eat this stuff up!! I still have the zoa frag and some xenia with your name on it, Kerry! ;)

Oh yeah, talk about upgrading... I will be soon too, I've been eyeing out the Finnex M frameless glass tank or a Clear For Life 20g tank. Eitherway, I need something bigger for sure!!

Matt,

Please order some snails from MD get the orange cat eye snails and you will LOVE them. These snails are better than astrea and IMO the turbo snail. They are brightly colored and are much smaller than the turbo. They never stop eating I need some more because mine died when I had the nitrate spike. I had most of my snails die from it the only ones that lived are the astreas and the cerith, They are harder but as long as your parms are good these snails will thrive.

Isreal, I will be sure to check it out right now

My turbo seems to just... well race around the tank. I swear it never eats, just races around, hangs out on my Hydor, or hangs out half out of the water at the top, lol! The cerith usually stays at the sandline on the glass. I used to have another turbo, but it bellied up one day, literally. :( Orange cat eye... I'll remember that one, and see what I can pick up from either PTF or another LFS around here, maybe Tongs Whittier where I got my initial CUC from. But what I've been reading, bryopsis is similar to caulerpa in that most things will avoid eating it as it'll release toxins when eaten... =/

Tank's looking tight, Phix. I just sold a 20 gallon CFL over the weekend, if I knew you were looking for one, I would've hooked you up.

Have you checked out my 10 gallon contest tank? Its starting to take shape. Let me know what you think!

Peace.

Thanks for the compliments! B) Yeah, if I had known that might have workout perfectly on the CFL, but it's all good, I'll find something. I like the Finnex with the 150w HQI lighting packaged with the tank, and the whole thing (pump, protein skimmer and all) is about the same price as the Cadlights 144w T-5 20g setup they sell. I just gotta find a local dealer for the Finnex tank. I think I'll ask up Chris at Nanotuners about that since they sell Finnex. I saw the CFLs at PTF recently and I was really impressed with it, though they were selling the tank ONLY for $250, and then the lighting is extra... I'd also prefer glass to acrylic, but we'll see... I'll check out your contest 10g as well!

If you're going to go the CFL route, check out Jeff's, they have the lowest prices on them I have seen. That's were I bought mine.

Ahh, good looking out! Does Jeff's have good prices on combos of CFL tanks with lights? if I could get one for the same price (if not lower than) the Cadlights 20g, then I'd be a happy camper!

Archived