Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My photo journal!

szesteve

Well, after alot of money put in and lotsa consideration, i decided to upgrade to a 2ft tank(because it became empty after some inhabitants in that moved away). :)

I previously had a 10 gallon for only 2 months and was using power compacts but was excited to keep all other types of corals so I invested in some MHs.

My plan was to have a 2ft as a main tank and a 10 gallon fuge. I took the corals in my 10 gallon and boarded them at a friend's place and got him to drill a hole in my 10 gallon.

Unfortunately it cracked...:( and he drilled one of his old 10 gallons. That one turned out with hairline cracks too but I managed to silicone it such that it doesn't leak at all.

Well, while all that was going on, I had my 2ft tank sprayed black for the background.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I fast forwarded to this part...:D

Didn't really take much pictures in between. Siliconed the outlet pipe to the refugium and did a test run...

Bad news is, the thing leaked...1-2 drops of water per few seconds...

So, had to cut away the silicone and redo it. I guess i applied too much silicone the first time round and this time i just smeared a thin layer around the whole outlet fixture.

Here's a picture of it after 3 days running successfully. Also bought a Prizm skimmer and added it onto the fuge.

Okay, here's the light canopy I got from cooltouchlighting.com

Excellent job!

1 x 55W Actinic PC

1 x 175W Ushio 10K

Okay, here's a test run of the light setup.

Why am I using a portable clothes hanger to hang my light??? Cos I'm not allowed to drill holes in the ceiling or walls, so here's my solution. Got it from home depot for 20 bucks.

It's really sturdy and can take probably 5 of these canopies.

Okay, here am i doing a test run of the lights. SOOOO excited to try it out. couldn't wait at all....

I really love the ripple effect...:D

Well, last one...here's a picture of the bulb...anyone know which side the stud("nipple" like thing) is supposed to face?

Hey steve great start. I think that the exaust nipple goes on the side not facing the water.and btw what kind of light is that on the fuge.

thanks

Mav

Thanks everyone!

Chlorophil,

For my 10 gallon, I made the mistake of putting too much LR such that I didn't have place for anything later. So, I plan to do some rockscaping with the 20 gallon later today and see how everything turns out. I always forget to take into consideration that new corals come with LR... :)

maverick,

The fuge light is from home depot. I learnt about it from melev's reef. It costs about 25 canadian dollars to set the whole thing up and it's a really great and not too expensive alternative for a fuge light.

Here's a link: http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=313318

kadir,

Thanks. It was so difficult to find a suitable solution. Initially I was going to buy wood and make my own stand but the costs were about the same and i found something safe. It was also my wife's idea. The wooden stand would probably not be safe(with my carpentry skills). :P

Originally posted by kadaytar

Looks nice Steve. I liked your cloth hanger idea very smart.

Kadir

oh yes, and it's great to find another waterloo reefer! :)

The nipple is supposed to face as upward as possible.

It is leftover from the process used to make the bulb. If the nipple faces down, or at a downward angle, it will collect phosphors and impair the performance of the bulb.

-Justin

Well, I've finally worked out the landscape i want!

Apart from some small pieces or LR, the big pieces are in the right place.

I've got many holes for corals, nice shady spots and open sandy spaces for brains and clams. :D

Archived