Cultivated Reef

OMG! Is it possable to have Zoo eating pods?

BoBoSkater

Ok I had some zoos months back they dud good for a month or so then stoped opening i npticed that they were covered with pods. Somone said that the zoo probably just got sick and the pods will eat them when they start to die, But just yesturday I bought some more Zoos just to try again. I woke up this morning and they were all closed up Pods where crawling all over them. I just dipped them, but i also did that with the old ones and didnt work. So what can I do to get these Zoo-eating pods to stay away!

*Note these are not nuds they are pods*

Maybe find a small fish that loves to eat pods, I know most people detest Damsels, But when my Pod pop og out of hand a 2 inch damsel did a hell of a clean up Job. Clowns will also do some serious munching on Pods.

Yes, pods do...RARELY..become carnivorous as some quick reaserch I did suggests this. I found this picture online which claims that the amphipod is eating the dead brown tissue on the zoa:

post-10445-1139974892_thumb.jpg

What Can I do to get them not to eat it! I called my friend at the LFS and he said I had nuds, But the other animals that fall off during the dip dosent look like any nuds a have seen. They could be nuds but I dont know, but I do know that the pods are eating them to because the ones that fall off are brown. What color are the egg sacks that nuds lay?

What Can I do to get them not to eat it! I called my friend at the LFS and he said I had nuds, But the other animals that fall off during the dip dosent look like any nuds a have seen. They could be nuds but I dont know, but I do know that the pods are eating them to because the ones that fall off are brown. What color are the egg sacks that nuds lay?

i dont know much about nuds...but you could buy a green mandarin...keep him in there for about a couple weeks...after pods are gone, take him back to the store....figure it as a $15 pod cleaner!

i dont know much about nuds...but you could buy a green mandarin...keep him in there for about a couple weeks...after pods are gone, take him back to the store....figure it as a $15 pod cleaner!

I cant have anymore fish. Damn Tang never should have gotten him (I cant get him out). Everytime I dip the Zoas there is less and less pods and the other things falling of so thats good, but there looking weird I hope its just from me dipping them 5+ times a day.

Ok My Zoas look very bad I think & Hope that it is from Dipping them.

Could someone who has dipped there Zoas alot tell me if this is normal?

The Guy from the LFS said that it is normal for them to shed, but i dont know about this.

dead3.jpg

Thanks

apophis924- "A duh?" LOL You are young arent you

BoBoSkater - Pods will indeed eat corals that are dying, Ive cought pods eating zoanthids and a week later the zoas would be completely gone...The pods wouldnt touch the other zoas so Im guessing they were healthy

No there my only Zoas. I dont think the Zoas where dying because they were only in my tank for 1 day before I saw these creatures and once I did they went down hill. The other things thaat have fallin off during the dip Had to have been some kind of nud just one I have never seen before I havent seen one in a day so I hope I killed them all. Only time will time I guess.

After a dip the zoas will be closed for a while.

Nudis are most likely your problem, unfortunately they are a common problem and are a PITA. Good luck. I'm fighting nudis off as we speak and doubt they will ever completely go away.

Pods will only eat dead or dieing tissue off corals. They will not attack healthy polyps. Well they can but it is really really really rare and is most likely not the case here. I was sure at one point pods were eating my zoas but after time realized it was not the case.

I missed that you were dipping 5X a day. That is really unecessary. Do it once and dip in FW for about 15-20 min. This has worked for me. After the dip give the zoas a vigorous shake to let the dead nudis fall off. Only do this once a day at most as it is highly stressful to the colony. The few colonies I can dip, I dip once every couple of weeks. The rest of the time they are good

I'm afraid I can't see the pic. The firewall at work blocks photobucket.

dip in lugos.

do a nudi search at zoo aid this will help you help you id what you really have going on and how to attack what your problem is.

samoyed: please stop posting you do more harm than good.

dip in lugos.

do a nudi search at zoo aid this will help you help you id what you really have going on and how to attack what your problem is.

samoyed: please stop posting you do more harm than good.

What is the web site called?

Well those zoas are now gone, but the good news is last week I told my friend at the LFS about these ceartures. He told me to try and find one and to bring it in and I couldnt find any. So he lent me some zoas to try to catch what was killing my last ones and so far these zoas have been doing great opened for 6 days nows. So I must I had some kind of nud or zoa killing/eating animal and I must have killed them all by doing all those dips.

Chances are they are still there. That is if you had nudis in the first place. I have gone weeks without seeing any and then bam they are all over the place again. Hopefully you never had them in the first place though.

Well what ever it was it is gone for now (I think/Hope). I am dipping these Zoas once a week to keep those creaters away or try to.

Ha I believe I do have PODS! that eat zoos... Ok I just dipped them and the only thing that fell of was about 10 of the creatures that I thought was eating them before, but these zoos have been opened for 1 week. The only differents between this dip and the ones before was that no pods fell off. I put the new zoos in a glass bowl when I got them so that the creatures would not fall back into the tank when I was taking them out to dip them. I belive that my Killer pods have not gotten to these zoos because of the glass bowl!

I am going to place this Zoas outside the bowl tonight to see if my theory is right. Sorry if you cant understand this I cant write very well.

Anyways here is a picture of what I thought killed my last zoas.

nuds.jpg

Again I'm sure there are some predatory pods but they are not common. So you may have them but it is doubtful. Pods will be everywhere in your tank. If you dip anything, chances are dead pods will fall off; so this is not exclusive to a zoa dip. Keep an eye on your zoas and hopefully whatever problem killed your first colony will not be passed on to this new one. Some zoas just up and die for no apparent reason (there is a reason but it is usually not obvious).

• 1 year later...

Archived