SaltCritters.com

Fluval Edge led mod

cindyjoy

Hello everybody,

So i've had my fluval edge for about 6 weeks now. Since the day i purchased it i knew i was gonna have to do some modifications in order to make it a nano reef. Most importantly was the lighting.... I searched on the web for weeks and i think i must have seen every fluval edge mod out there but nobody seemed to be 100% happy with the outcome unless they spent alot of time and or money. Since I am a single mom of 4 and run a financing business, i can't be bothered trying to do a diy mod. ( even though my dad is an electrical engineer lol) In my search i came across some mr16 led's that have 3- 3watt led bulbs in each that total 16k!!!!! 2 whites and 1 blue per socket.... They r called Aquasunspot by Aqua medic.

Only $26 a piece!!!!!!

The beam angle on the leds is not that wide so i knew even before i got them that i was gonna have to remove the 3 screws and take off the lenses... (got this any many other ideas from reading picod's amazing forum)

Once i did that my whole fluval edge lit up with a crisp white light. Exactly what i was looking for.

The mr16's fit into the original mr11 sockets perfectly.. ( with a little wiggling at first try)

I would like to share this with all fluval edge owners looking to upgrade their lighting the easiest and cheapest way possible with the best outcome..

I'll take some pics and post a link to the light later today, as soon as i learn how LOL...( yes i'm a newbie to this)

Pics or it didnt happen.

;) jk cant wait to see your tank though! Do you have a clean up crew or any live stock?

Oh, and the easiest way to post a picture is to use the uploader near the bottom of the reply screen

post-65489-1300219384.jpg

Okay, so here's a pic.

I dont know if you all can see but i have a piece of plastic wrap over the fluval's opening to prevent water splashes from coming into contact with the led's because i removed the protection lenses in order to get more light spread. Also i have a cloth under the light arm to keep it raised up to prevent the led's from coming anyway near the plastic until i can figure out some sort of permanent measure to protect them from water splashes..

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!

Also have some totally awesome blue moonlight led's on their way......

Pics or it didnt happen.

;) jk cant wait to see your tank though! Do you have a clean up crew or any live stock?

Oh, and the easiest way to post a picture is to use the uploader near the bottom of the reply screen

Thanks for the uploading advise. I think the link works..

I do have a clean up crew that consists of 5 mini crabs,

1 nassarius snail. (use to have 3 but one ate the other)

1 skunk cleaner shrimp named BOB

1 sea urchin named Itchy

Definately will be adding more asap

can you upload a bigger pic? It's really small. Looks cool from far way tho :P

Thanks, it does look really cool in person..I'm extremely happy i came across these led's.....I took the pic with my i phone and couldn't upload to my forum for some reason, so i made it smaller so it would post... Any ideas on how i can post it from my i phone without making it smaller?

RayWhisperer

Welcome to N-R.com.

I don't know of an easy way to upload from a smartphone of any sort. Sorry. The best way to post a pic is to use an image hosting site like photobucket.

Upload the pic onto photobucket, copy the img tag, paste the img tag in your post. Done.

Seems to me, you've really got a good mod going here. You also seem to be pretty knowledgeable. (Rare for a noob, these days.) I'm impressed, and believe you me, that's not common.

So, with a full size pic, I expect to see more of this tank of yours. Along with some additional info.

Welcome to N-R.com.

I don't know of an easy way to upload from a smartphone of any sort. Sorry. The best way to post a pic is to use an image hosting site like photobucket.

Upload the pic onto photobucket, copy the img tag, paste the img tag in your post. Done.

Seems to me, you've really got a good mod going here. You also seem to be pretty knowledgeable. (Rare for a noob, these days.) I'm impressed, and believe you me, that's not common.

So, with a full size pic, I expect to see more of this tank of yours. Along with some additional info.

Thanks so much for the advise on posting pics, i will try it out right away....

As for me being a newbie, i was referring to posting forums.

I've had alot of experience with a past 90 gallon reef tank that i invested approx $10k into but left it to my ex in the divorce. ( in exchange for custody of our kids lol)

Once i saw the fluval edge at my local pet store i fell in love with it and it inspired me to get back into this passion of reef keeping that i have had since childhood...

RayWhisperer

Tank for kids. Good trade off, IMO.

Actually, the Edge is what kicked me back into it, too. I didn't end up going with it, though.

Yeah, everybody gasp. A mod without a tank. It's more common than most of you might think.

Edit;

Everybody, suck it! I gotz a tank now!

th_Picopix2-Display.jpg

It's a slideshow of a whopping 4 pics.

Tank for kids. Good trade off, IMO.

Actually, the Edge is what kicked me back into it, too. I didn't end up going with it, though.

Yeah, everybody gasp. A mod without a tank. It's more common than most of you might think.

Edit;

Everybody, suck it! I gotz a tank now!

th_Picopix2-Display.jpg

It's a slideshow of a whopping 4 pics.

I think u meant a tank without a mod!!! .Ur's looks amazing....good 4 u.. Now that i'm back into my passion i will definately be expanding my horizons, or so to speak, with additional reef tanks to come, but i will always have preferential treatment for my fluval edge that has re-inspired my passion that was lying dormant....

RayWhisperer

No, I meant a mod without a tank. My tank has a few mods done to it. Nothing easily seen, though.

<------

Psst. look at the badge.

No, I meant a mod without a tank. My tank has a few mods done to it. Nothing easily seen, though.

Ah huh, very nice indeed.....

<------

Psst. look at the badge.

Doubt that those are running the LED's at full 3-watts. Also be very careful due to the very small heatsink, the MR16 will get VERY HOT so make sure to keep it well ventilated and/or have a fan blowing at them.

any bigger pictures?...i had an edge for a while and never got what i wanted out of the lighting. check my gallery for my solution. not quite asthetically pleasing so i called the quits and transferred to a 16 g bowfront.

Please excuse me if i dont take advise from someone who works for the competitors of the link i provided. If your business was all that good u wouldnt need to take the time to respond to someones meak forum....

I.e boost led min wage employee...

Just trying to provide accurate information. But for future reference, the minimum wage employees at BoostLED™ will ensure they stay out of your future threads. :lol:

doppelganger

now now :P You'll find plenty of sponsors here who offer invaluable information and boost is no different. The wealth of their knowledge and their sponsorship allows nano-reef to be free for everyone as well as provide quality products to better the health and development of our reefs. There's never a NEED to purchase from them but many of us do because we know they build some pretty cool stuff and are active in our community (of nano-reefing ;)). Of course this goes for all sponsors.

That being said... :grouphug:

Keep us updated on the led's! And boost is right tho, becareful of some of the heat as they'll drastically shorten the lifespan of the led's if it's not kept in check.

Why would boost give a $hit about Mr 16 bulbs? He doesn't even sale them. They will run hot and you will figure this out when you screw up and not take friendly advice.

RayWhisperer

Img code, woman! Img code! That's what you wanna copy.

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

Don't know if you mentioned it, or not. Too lazy to look. However, I think a bit more rock would be a wise investment. That's JMO, though.

Img code, woman! Img code! That's what you wanna copy.

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

Don't know if you mentioned it, or not. Too lazy to look. However, I think a bit more rock would be a wise investment. That's JMO, though.

I've got a bunch more LR being quarantined in a bucket. I wanna make sure there is no bristle worms hiding befoe i add the rest to this tank... They took over my last tank, it was such a pain... I havnt even taken my wavemaker or algae scraper out of the box they arrived in yet.... I'm gonna try and get to the aqua store this weekend to pick up some stuff.. Its about an hour away so i kinda have to make it a day trip.. Now that i have the lights im gonna try and add a few corals....

P.S thanks so much for enlarging the pics for me.....

RayWhisperer

Another opinion, here. Bristle worms are a valuable member of the CUC. If you have too many, there is a reason for it. Overstocked, or overfeeding would be my first two guesses.

My rock was out of an old tank I tore down. The rock had been in that tank for around a year without any light. Only one fish in the tank and limited CUC. So, There was almost no bio load in the tank. I didn't want to sell off any rock because I liked it so much. So, I just boxed it for a year. Now I am actually setting up a bristle worm trap in a buddy's reef tank to get me a few bristle worms.

PS; if you wanna send me a couple, I'll take em.

Archived