inTank Media Baskets

My 2.5g Mantis Reef

VannReefer87

Alright everyone well since I've been at college my desk feels lonely without something to remind me of my tank at home. So I went out and bought a small 1/2g pico and set it up. Wasn't happy with the size so I upgraded to a 2.5g AGA. Decided I didn't want any small fish b/c the tank is too small, so I went shopping and found a small mantis shrimp identified to be a G. Ternatensis even though it was sold as a peacock. He is about 1'' long and is the new owner of my 2.5. Will be upgrading lighting to a mini aqualight 28watts I think and planning on doing a little zoa garden. Hope you guys like the tank!

Equipment:

-2.5g AGA

-36watt Jalli Quad PC

-Red Sea Nano Filter w/ chemipure

-very small powerhead (18gph)

-3 1/2lbs of rubble rock

-3lbs of live sand (from my 37g)

-no heater as of yet (maybe a hydor mini)

Livestock:

-G. Ternatensis Mantis Shrimp

-random macro algaes growing on live rock

-soon to be exotic zoa garden!

Heres some pics courtesy of KD of my aquascaping...comments welcome!!! :)

post-19347-1158035891_thumb.jpg

post-19347-1158035997_thumb.jpg

thanks Tim, I appreciate it :)

Quick Update: Ok well, I have 2 tanks at college...my 2.5 desktop and a 10g FOWLR with my baby lionfish (yes I know he'll out grow this soon, he usually lives in the 37g but he with me for a month while I do some re-arranging in his tank) anyway, over his tank I have a jalli 36 PC quad light!!!, and it fit over my 2.5 with the legs in! So light problem solved...now I just need to get a cheap strip light to keep the lionfish happy!...Pics with the new light tommorow! Now I need Zoas! :)

if your avatar is your lion fish, thats freakin sick! makes me want to have one!

I have a G. smithii in a 2.5 on my desk right now, so enjoy your setup! i love mantis shrimps!

Also, the past two years I had a 10 gallon and a 2.5 in my college dorm room! Looks like you are doing the same thing. I ended up upgrading when i moved into a house to a 20L, but i loved my 10 gallon!

haha...yes that is my lionfish, he is awesome!....and I love my tanks right now...I have a 33g cube at home now waiting until I get an apartment to put it in!!

ah...so I finally got some zoa's...and not just any zoa's Armor of God zoas!!!! I'm so excited...my LFS had 3 polpys(along with some other yellow ones) on one rock and I was like I'll take that...$10 bucks later and now I have some awesome zoa's! Pics very soon.

P.S. does anyone supplement their tanks with calcium additives or anything?...Thanks

thanks everyone...the tank is coming along good. Just havin a little temp problem...keeps going up to about 82-83 during the day because of my lighting I assume. So I think I'm going to install a fan in the light fixture to cool it off. Any advice/comments are welcome! :)

Although I do have a cheap thermometer, one of those that glass ones that float in the water...does anyone know how accurate those things are?

Pics of my new zoa frag!!! $10 bucks later! ID's welcome...I think the pinks are called "Armor of God" but the yellows I have no clue, prob nothin special. Thanks everyone!

ok one more cool one! B)

post-19347-1158625792_thumb.jpg

post-19347-1158625870_thumb.jpg

post-19347-1158626139_thumb.jpg

doesnt look like armors to me... armors are much more red, and much more vibrant in coloration.

may be bleached, but from the pictures, it really doesnt look like armors.

ArmorofGod3.jpg

Supraeli....I know what you mean, pictures aren't the best though, in person the centers look they're glowing red or dark pink with tank skirts...while in the picture they look more pink. I need to work on my picture skills so I can figure out the white balance and all that. But to be honest they look just like the picture you've posted, but the skirts on my could be a tad bit longer. Thanks!...Anyone else?

Yea...but they're crappy, since I have access to a better camera now I'm going to try and get some better shots of him today....pics again ASAP of my mantis!

ok everyone here is my beloved mantis "Manny" and another updated FTS....by the way I just ordered a frag pack with some really nice zoa's in it, will be here by tommorow. So more pics coming soon! :D

-Vann

FTS!!

post-19347-1158793304_thumb.jpg

post-19347-1158793321_thumb.jpg

post-19347-1158793689_thumb.jpg

he's a beaut! i really like the blue color

I just posted new pix of mine

YR

Thanks Yankee, manny says "thank you" :P I'll have to check yours out.

Ok heres some pics of my new zoa's, I just picked some more up too..this baby will be full in no time :)

These pics are just my favorites as of right now B)

Ok a few more.....enjoy!

:lol:B)

post-19347-1159245361_thumb.jpg

post-19347-1159245424_thumb.jpg

post-19347-1159245519_thumb.jpg

post-19347-1159245785_thumb.jpg

post-19347-1159245860_thumb.jpg

Archived