SaltCritters.com

fifty50's custom 10g

fifty50

having a 10gal tank custom built by scott @ aquatic systems design. will keep a journal here from start to 'finish'. it's to have the dimensions of 20x10x12.

got the the CAD drawings. about to give it a go to be constructed. i'm opening the floor for any comments or suggestions i should make before i give the ok.

isometric:

isometric.jpg

rear detail:

rear%20detail.jpg

top down:

top%20down.jpg

still debating on having the front edges rounded. anyone have pics of that on theirs?

thanks for looking!

-rob

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome, looks great!

I have had a couple things built by Scott, and I am extemely pleased. The corners on my cube that he built are not rounded, and I kind of like that look on a smaller tank.

decided against the rounded edges.

scott @ aquatic systems design says the tank's construction should "begin in the latter part of this week", yay!!! means i should start working on the sump/fuge for this setup.

i have another thread going asking this question, but thought i'd ask it here as well... i have enough room underneath the stand for a 10g aga. the 15g high aga also has the same footprint as the 10g aga. which size tank would you guys suggest on using as a sump/fuge?? thanks.

great job on not getting rounded edges, theyre annoying and you can easily see cracks in them.

but why a 10gal? If its custom, why didnt you just go with dims you like best and ignore gals, standard dims? Ratio is more important in this situation, imo

Yeah, go custom. I am setting up a 29g right now, and the stand will only allow for a 10g AGA or a 15g AGA, I have decided to DIY a sump. I just got my local glass shop to cut out all of the glass for me. Now the sump will be 28x10 and will fit snugly in the stand. All I need to do now is silacone it alltogether, that can't be too hard :)

but why a 10gal? If its custom, why didnt you just go with dims you like best and ignore gals, standard dims? Ratio is more important in this situation, imo

i'm in college for another year. the apt's i live in are on campus and they restrict you to a 10g tank. i also went with standard dimensions b/c i plan to use the stand that i have already, and that's the footprint tank that i could have for the stand. even if i were to get bigger, it'd be more of a PITA to move it in the future. i dont mind doing the custom 10g now and then upgrading to a bigger tank in the future (which i definitly plan to).

i think i may just go with the 15g high for the sump/fuge. i have the room under the stand where access shouldn't be of any concern. i'll pickup the tank sometime this week and go to lowes to get the acrylic cut for the baffles and pickup some plumbing.

another thing i have concern about is for the return. i have a panworld 40px pump that i'll be using as a return. i'm hoping to have a hole drilled in the return chamber. i just gotta figure out where i can go locally to have the hole drilled. how hard would it be to use a drill to drill the hole? i do not have access to a dremel (i dont think atleast).

ok, nvm, just decided to go with a 10g aga for sump/fuge. measured how much space i have in the stand, if i went with the 15g high, i'd have only < 6" of space for access.

Just about any glass shop can drill the hole for you.

i ordered a diamond coated drill bit off ebay. will try to do it myself. so we'll see what happens.

ordered a majority of the plumbing parts i'm going to use. locline, ball/union valves, a check valve, etc. crap adds up, oh wells.

as for the sump, i made a rough design using sketchup. basic design as follows:

skimmer --> return <-- refugium. the baffle dividing the refugium and return chamber will have teeth.

let me know what you guys think.

post-17253-1147910282_thumb.jpg

That looks good, but remember that in the return section, that is where you will see the water level drop because of evaporation. To get flow into the fuge alittle better, I would T off the return line so that some of the flow gets redirected back into the sump.

That looks good, but remember that in the return section, that is where you will see the water level drop because of evaporation. To get flow into the fuge alittle better, I would T off the return line so that some of the flow gets redirected back into the sump.

yea, i plan to do that so if i need to control the return flow, i can do so w/o any back pressure to the pump. (thanks for the comments, travis!)

the plumbing will be as follows. 1" durso style drain, ball valve w/ union going down to a T, where it will be split to feed the fuge and skimmer chambers, fuge outlet will have a valve to lower flow.

for the return:

3/4" bulkhead in the return chamber with a strainer on it to feed to a ball/union valve, then to pump, then to a check valve, then scwd, to a ball/union valve on each return side. inside the tank will be locline, Y 3/4" to 1/2" reducer to some locline tube, then to a flared nozzle.

woot woot college reefers with limited gallons and money and hwo have to move their tanks often!!

I fall into that category as well =P

brent-konieczny

I've lost count of the number of 2.5 hour trips my tank has been through this year. It's probably been at least 10-12. Tommorow is one more trip, then it has a 11 hour trip to Minnesota. Talk about anxiety. You guys with college reefs know what I'm talking about.

got all my plumbing today. will probably work on the sump/fuge this weekend. silicone the baffles, and drilling a return hole! then it's just a matter of getting the tank from scott :)

ok, got the sump/fuge finished. drilled the hole w/ the bulkhead, and siliconed the baffles. not the perfect job, but is my first time and i think i did a pretty good job with it. getting a lil better at using silicone :D

now for some pics:

IMG_2888.JPG

IMG_2885.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG

scott sent progress pics! nothing special but here goes...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

can't wait to get this thing!

got word this morning from scott that the tank is finished! should get it by early next week, yay!

got the final pic from scott earlier tonight. tank should be shipped out tomm, which means i'll have it by sometime early next week! cant wait!

4.jpg

Archived