Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Mantis Tank!

gearhead364

gearhead364

Hello again everyone... another tank i know...but its for a mantis so I am very excited! another member on here got a surprise in his live rock the other day and is willing to ship it to me! so I have set up his own little tank for him. The tank is a brand new Fluval Spec 5 gal they are new to the market and I got it on sale the other day at petsmart while on a brake from work. The next day I filled it using live sand, rock and water from an old existing system which brings me to where it is now.

2012-06-26_10-29-13_429.jpg

My plans for this tank are to keep it pretty much stock including the lighting with only growing some soft corals and maybe some nice majanos if I can get some.

I have a long stocking list for this tank which goes a little something like this: mantis... :D

so stay tuned!

albertthiel
Hello again everyone... another tank i know...but its for a mantis so I am very excited! another member on here got a surprise in his live rock the other day and is willing to ship it to me! so I have set up his own little tank for him. The tank is a brand new Fluval Spec 5 gal they are new to the market and I got it on sale the other day at petsmart while on a brake from work. The next day I filled it using live sand, rock and water from an old existing system which brings me to where it is now.

2012-06-26_10-29-13_429.jpg

My plans for this tank are to keep it pretty much stock including the lighting with only growing some soft corals and maybe some nice majanos if I can get some.

I have a long stocking list for this tank which goes a little something like this: mantis... :D

so stay tuned!

Nice but if you are going to add a Mantis no fish will make it in there and if you put CUC's the Mantis will get those too ... just MO

Albert

Islandoftiki

I've got some more majanos arriving Thursday. I'll be propagating them in my 7.5 gallon tank. I'm sure we can get you some as they grow out.

Islandoftiki
Nice but if you are going to add a Mantis no fish will make it in there and if you put CUC's the Mantis will get those too ... just MO

Albert

Albert,

If it's a smasher, it will likely leave the fish alone. The clean-up crew will probably have to be replaced on a regular basis. However, if the mantis is small (and if this is the one I think it is, it's pretty small), the only thing it will mess with would be dwarf cerith snails and the smallest dwarf blue leg hermits. My 2" mantis doesn't even look twice at the Mexican Red Leg hermit or the Florida Cerith in the tank with him; they're too big. The dwarf ceriths don't last too long though.

That said, you never put any fish in with a mantis that you wouldn't consider potential prey. Obviously most gobys are not an option, but smaller fish that inhabit the upper part of the water column will probably last a good while. Ccapasso has a fish with his peacock mantis and it isn't terribly interested in it. Of course, you saw what happened to the crab...

albertthiel
Albert,

If it's a smasher, it will likely leave the fish alone. The clean-up crew will probably have to be replaced on a regular basis. However, if the mantis is small (and if this is the one I think it is, it's pretty small), the only thing it will mess with would be dwarf cerith snails and the smallest dwarf blue leg hermits. My 2" mantis doesn't even look twice at the Mexican Red Leg hermit or the Florida Cerith in the tank with him; they're too big. The dwarf ceriths don't last too long though.

That said, you never put any fish in with a mantis that you wouldn't consider potential prey. Obviously most gobys are not an option, but smaller fish that inhabit the upper part of the water column will probably last a good while. Ccapasso has a fish with his peacock mantis and it isn't terribly interested in it. Of course, you saw what happened to the crab...

Agreed with all of that ... especially if the Mantis can't get on to rock that reaches high up to try to grab the fish :0

And yes of course the size of the prey versus the size of the Mantis will play a role as well as you say.

Thanks for clarifying. Much appreciated

Albert

gearhead364

Yes I was almost gonna get the two gal but I didn't wanna copy someone.. lol and then I saw this and had to have it! And yes it is the manits your thinking of I should be getting it sometime next week and for albert I won't be putting any fish in the tank just the mantis and ill let him destroy whatever he wants lol and some majanos would be sweet! Just let me know id be more than happy to pay for shipping and them. My lfs had some really pretty green ones with red tips but the killed them... :(

albertthiel
Yes I was almost gonna get the two gal but I didn't wanna copy someone.. lol and then I saw this and had to have it! And yes it is the manits your thinking of I should be getting it sometime next week and for albert I won't be putting any fish in the tank just the mantis and ill let him destroy whatever he wants lol and some majanos would be sweet! Just let me know id be more than happy to pay for shipping and them. My lfs had some really pretty green ones with red tips but the killed them... :(

Good for you. Good decision I say

Islandoftiki
Some majanos would be sweet! Just let me know id be more than happy to pay for shipping and them. My lfs had some really pretty green ones with red tips but the killed them... :(

Let all of the LFS's know you want some and they'll usually save them for you. I put out the word and managed to get a ton of the green/red ones. I wish I had been able to get the rock they were on. There had to be 100 of them. They came out of a tank that had been badly neglected, and the majanos went crazy. I still have yet to have any of mine split. I think you need an overfed high nitrate tank for them to really flourish.

Don't worry, the 7.5 gallon majano tank will be getting lots of food and little care. Should be able to breed millions!

gearhead364
Let all of the LFS's know you want some and they'll usually save them for you. I put out the word and managed to get a ton of the green/red ones. I wish I had been able to get the rock they were on. There had to be 100 of them. They came out of a tank that had been badly neglected, and the majanos went crazy. I still have yet to have any of mine split. I think you need an overfed high nitrate tank for them to really flourish.

Don't worry, the 7.5 gallon majano tank will be getting lots of food and little care. Should be able to breed millions!

hahahaha sounds like the dream majano set up lol I just got back from the lfs and got my hads on a nice rock with around 6 or so majanos on it no green ones but cooler than aptaisas. pic soon!

• 3 weeks later...
albertthiel
New FTS

2012-06-27_21-54-12_924.jpg

lots of majanos :)

2012-06-27_21-55-22_515.jpg

close up!

2012-06-27_21-54-57_421.jpg

Very nice indeed . Question though is the green algae ? or is it due to the lighting used ?

Just curious ....

gearhead364
Very nice indeed . Question though is the green algae ? or is it due to the lighting used ?

Just curious ....

I believe its green algae I bought the whole rock out of mature system.

Nice majanos!

Thanks! not as nice as yours but its a start!

gearhead364
Just saw this tank the other day at Petsmart. Subscribed!

glad to have you along!

I just got back from sac and.......this Tank is now officially with Mantis!!! not sure what type he is but I will post pics soon hopefully for help with an ID :D

albertthiel
I believe its green algae I bought the whole rock out of mature system.

Is it growing upwards or is it just covering the rock like a mat ...

Can you get a close up picture of it ... wondering what algae it is and the pic you posted is not clear enough for me to tell. Thanks

aquemeni5110
glad to have you along!

I just got back from sac and.......this Tank is now officially with Mantis!!! not sure what type he is but I will post pics soon hopefully for help with an ID :D

What LFS do you go to in Sac? I hit up O Street Aquarium everytime I'm out there.

gearhead364

Sad news.. The mantis did not make it through the first night... :tears: will be looking for another one so stay tuned.. not giving up.

What LFS do you go to in Sac? I hit up O Street Aquarium everytime I'm out there.

I really like O street but I checked out aquarium depot in roseville this time. I dont get down there too much becuase I live in Redding but im moving down to sac in month so ill have a better selection then.

gearhead364

yeah no molting, there's been no burrowing in the tank, I really dont know what happened, he didnt seem right from when they bagged him up, when I got him home he didnt seem interested in food or much of anything. he didnt even try to hide.

Archived