Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Frogfishing

RustyRocket

RustyRocket

I've been wanting a frogfish for a while, and finally snatch one up ^^V!!

Atm, he/she is in the refugium, since hes a baby I plan to use my old tank to set up a species specific tank for this little fella. I fail at keeping tank threads, the one of my mixed reef in other forums neva got anywhere, but i guess since this technically isnt a "tank" thread, so ima give it a go~

Anywho, say hello^^

photo9.jpg

stalking the prey...well not really stalking...more like "walking up close in plain sight" to the prey

photo8.jpg

Im still thinking of a name for the damn thing, and also can anyone identify him? Maybe even sexing him/her?

RustyRocket

Lols alto, i was just gona send you link since you helped me with him a month back~ you sure hes a warty?

A month ago, the tank had like 7 babies in them, they all looked like him. I could tell they were different species. When i went to pick this guy up, there was only 5 left and 3 of them changed colour. 1 was like yours black with white toes, 1 was fully white with red dots, 1 was black with orange spots and the rest like him. I could tell there was a commerson and 2 painted. I want a warty so i went with him...but im not sure what he is, hes esca doesnt look like a warty.

what do you think?

Rusty

altolamprologus

Well the coloring certainly looks like a warty. Fins look like a warty too. But when they're babies, commerson, wartys and most painted look alike. You'll have to wait until he grows more and his esca fully develops to know for sure. Can you get a pic of his esca?

Oh and about the sexing that you asked in the PM, frogfish are sexually amorphic so you won't know until they actually breed and you see which one lays eggs.

RustyRocket
Well the coloring certainly looks like a warty. Fins look like a warty too. But when they're babies, commerson, wartys and most painted look alike. You'll have to wait until he grows more and his esca fully develops to know for sure. Can you get a pic of his esca?

Oh and about the sexing that you asked in the PM, frogfish are sexually amorphic so you won't know until they actually breed and you see which one lays eggs.

The qualities kinda low, my bad. On the iphone camera until i get a decent lens for my slr.

On top of this what CUC do you suggest? I really want a halloween hermit, any chance i can chuck it in with him? If youve seen my other post, im stuck on what to put with him, I know i dont want another typical reef.

photo11.jpg

photo6.jpg

I think that this little buy is AMAZING, i've been waiting 2month now to find the righ warty....sigh of jealously... I think that you would do 100% bio-type species only. Only plants / Magro algae from the region and minial corals. Defeinately stay away from anything thing he / she could get hurt on aka mini maxi's or nem's in general. Good luck with him and please keep us updated.

altolamprologus
The qualities kinda low, my bad. On the iphone camera until i get a decent lens for my slr.

On top of this what CUC do you suggest? I really want a halloween hermit, any chance i can chuck it in with him? If youve seen my other post, im stuck on what to put with him, I know i dont want another typical reef.

I used to have a hermit with my angler, but he tried to fish for it and another member told me he knows of an angler that ate a hermit shell and all so I took it out. You could keep mollies with him. They'll eat nuisance algae but not macros. I keep damsels with mine, but I put them in there knowing they would be eaten eventually.

RustyRocket

WOAH!! good think you said Greg i was literally about to put a mini maxi with him in the fuge cos it looks a little plain!!! cheers for that, probs save the little guys life!!

I have a problem, i intend to run bio pellets, the time I ran them on my reef tank I starved off all my macro algae. now i have a spare reactor that id like to run... and plus over here the choices of macro algae is appauling, i havent even seen any good looking ones...only chaeto and calaupa

any other suggestions?

altolamprologus
WOAH!! good think you said Greg i was literally about to put a mini maxi with him in the fuge cos it looks a little plain!!! cheers for that, probs save the little guys life!!

I have a problem, i intend to run bio pellets, the time I ran them on my reef tank I starved off all my macro algae. now i have a spare reactor that id like to run... and plus over here the choices of macro algae is appauling, i havent even seen any good looking ones...only chaeto and calaupa

any other suggestions?

Maybe try looking around the internet for places that will ship macros to you? Most companies don't want to deal with customs, but some will.

If you do macro algae, you won't need biopellets. Only run them if you don't have algae

RustyRocket

Woah...just checked £23.99 for a damn handfull of fern calaupa!!! wtf!!! they might as well be wearing a mask!!

Im thinking maybe some filter feeders, like a couple sponges and those feather dusters...oh oh maybe even a christmas tree rock!!! OH IDEAS ARE COMING UP!!!!...

you guys know if someones tried this? not so much NPS, but just like easier to keep filter feeders?

altolamprologus
Woah...just checked £23.99 for a damn handfull of fern calaupa!!! wtf!!! they might as well be wearing a mask!!

Im thinking maybe some filter feeders, like a couple sponges and those feather dusters...oh oh maybe even a christmas tree rock!!! OH IDEAS ARE COMING UP!!!!...

you guys know if someones tried this? not so much NPS, but just like easier to keep filter feeders?

I have filter feeders with my angler. Tons of purple tunicates and a couple sponges. I would do feather dusters too, but I already have a bunch in one of my other tanks and I wanted different stuff. I think it would look really cool to have a bunch of photosynthetic sponges (NPS sponges are much harder to care for) and a few dusters. Just be sure you have a place to buy live phytoplankton to feed them.

RustyRocket

theres such a thing as photosynthetic sponges!!! ive always wanted sponges but thought they were like NPS, can you suggest some?

No need for phytoplankton, thats where the bio pellets come into play, it makes a bacteria film which filters love!!

altolamprologus
theres such a thing as photosynthetic sponges!!! ive always wanted sponges but thought they were like NPS, can you suggest some?

No need for phytoplankton, thats where the bio pellets come into play, it makes a bacteria film which filters love!!

It's hard to tell what sponges are photosynthetic or not. I know of a few species, but theres thousands. Off the top of my head I know blue sponges are photosynthetic. They're pretty common here in the states, but idk if they are where you are. The retailer should know if they're photosynthetic or not.

Bacteria is good for the sponges, but ornamental feather dusters only eat live phytoplankton. Although they may ingest a little bit of bacteria, it won't be enough to sustain them. Christmas tree worms and hitchhiker dusters will eat the bacteria though.

RustyRocket

There isn't much choices of sponges in the UK :( been looking around for some but with serious no luck. Might kiss that idea gdbye, stupid England, everything we have is more expensive n less variety

On the side note anyone have any idea how fast this guy would grow? When will they reach adulthood? Cos ATM he's in my 2gallon fuge~ he's still very small but he seems bigger n his essca seems larger n denser since I've had him, had him for 2 weeks :D

altolamprologus

Frogs grow really fast. It mostly depends on how much you feed and the quality of the food, but on average it's about 2-4 inches a year. Of course it also depends on the species and its max size too. My commerson's for example has grown a good 2 inches in the last 5-6 months with moderate feeding.

IMO you should work on getting a bigger tank asap

Euphyllia

AWH MAI GAWDDD!!! IT LOOKS LEIK A UNIKERN!!! omgomgomg

It has a little horny thing on its head... :wub:

you will like having that little guy. I love my froggy(bowser) it didnt take long to train him to eat silversides outta my hand. good luck!

altolamprologus
you will like having that little guy. I love my froggy(bowser) it didnt take long to train him to eat silversides outta my hand. good luck!

Be careful feeding him out of your hand. I used to hand feed my axolotl but then he started striking every time I put my hand in the tank to clean it.

RustyRocket

Yea, planning new tank already, but might just keep it simple and just keep it a fowlr until I know what to do with it. He's under an inch still so I think he'll last in the refugium a while, I thought about moving him to his own pico but then I'm nt sure how water quality would fair.

My plan for him in the next year or so is to keep him in a 6 gallon but hyper-filtration it. I find he dnt really swim, just pretty much walk everywhere. SO size wise I dnt think it's an issue.

What I had in mind:

Topless fluval edge

Reef octopus bh100 (rated for 60gallon)

D&d fluidise reactor with biopellets

D&d fluidise reactor with carbon

2 gallon refugium with more liverock (gona keep his food here)

Total water volume would be a little below 10 gallons

How does that sound?

Frogs grow really fast. It mostly depends on how much you feed and the quality of the food, but on average it's about 2-4 inches a year. Of course it also depends on the species and its max size too. My commerson's for example has grown a good 2 inches in the last 5-6 months with moderate feeding.

IMO you should work on getting a bigger tank asap

basically if the conditions are right my frog will grow to full length within a year??

And this length, is it including the tail or not?? Cos 4 inchs inst all that big with the tail.

So could I expect him to grow to a tennis ball size? Does that sound about right??

AWH MAI GAWDDD!!! IT LOOKS LEIK A UNIKERN!!! omgomgomg

It has a little horny thing on its head... :wub:

More like a Duo-corn he has 2 horns :lol: If you count his lure...OMG he's a Triceratops!!!!! B)

I do love having him at the moment I can't feed him anything but feeder shrimps since he's so small and since I find keeping the shrimp in buckets kills them off so fast plus Im a little bit of a neat freak I hate bucket Reefing. So I keep about 10 shrimp in the fuge with him at all times, wen I move him to the new tank I might start training him then~ nowadays I look at my fuge more often than my tank xD

Be careful feeding him out of your hand. I used to hand feed my axolotl but then he started striking every time I put my hand in the tank to clean it.

That's actually a very good advice, will keep that in mind, probs will use feeding stick, I use to feed my axolotl with chopsticks anyway so I think I'll do the same with the little fella xD!

Ps. I have about 10 more pictures of him, I'll upload soonish web I can be bothered xD

altolamprologus

You should try to find something better than a fluval edge. A standard 10 gallon with a sump would be good.

Your warty will probably reach max size within a few years. Fish growth slows dramatically after the first one or two years so he should get to be a few inches in length quickly then slow down and gain the last inch or so over a longer time period. This length does include the tail, but anglers get pretty fat so they have a lot of volume which is much more important than length when determining bioload.

RustyRocket
You should try to find something better than a fluval edge. A standard 10 gallon with a sump would be good.

Your warty will probably reach max size within a few years. Fish growth slows dramatically after the first one or two years so he should get to be a few inches in length quickly then slow down and gain the last inch or so over a longer time period. This length does include the tail, but anglers get pretty fat so they have a lot of volume which is much more important than length when determining bioload.

Thanks for the advice, but i think im gona stay with the topless fluval edge until it gets bigger, cos I live in a flat/apartment and having spare tanks laying around is not good, plus my flatmates has been complaining about my tanks already, I doubt another would ease the tension, since the fluvel edge is still in decent shape still I dnt feel like chucking it.

is there an object which i can compare the size to? tennis ball? fists? hmm... kinda hoped the thing would grow a little bigger, but i guess still good^^

altolamprologus
Thanks for the advice, but i think im gona stay with the topless fluval edge until it gets bigger, cos I live in a flat/apartment and having spare tanks laying around is not good, plus my flatmates has been complaining about my tanks already, I doubt another would ease the tension, since the fluvel edge is still in decent shape still I dnt feel like chucking it.

is there an object which i can compare the size to? tennis ball? fists? hmm... kinda hoped the thing would grow a little bigger, but i guess still good^^

Umm, maybe a woman's fist? It also depends on the individual's genetics

RustyRocket

More pictures!!!

Looking at him a few days ago and comparing against the rock he was on, hes really grown quite a bit, i really didnt expect frogs to grow this fast!! well...fast compare to my clownfish and RG and all~

so yeah hes basically grown about the length of his tail in like 5 or 6 weeks!! I like!! keep growing buddy!!

photo16.jpg

"omg get away from me huge hand!!!" hes still not too use to me yet...:( practically the the only time he swims is wen i jab my fingers in the water...no love for me *sigh*

photo17.jpg

Someones a happy clappy chappy with his full belly! this thing can eat!!

photo18.jpg

PS. compare him now to the first few pictures hes on the same rock, you'll see how much hes grown^^

RustyRocket

Decided to do a growth log:

photo18-1.jpg

WOAH!! just saw him luring!! even tho he ate yesterday and still has a big belly!! he does it differently than I imagined, i thought it would jerk it, then let it sink then jerk it some more and so on so forth like how a shrimp moves, but he swings it around like an O and S pattern, and he seems to wiggle his first dorsal spine quite alot whiles hes doing it...must say, quite fascinating...

Archived