Riddlers chalice frag

3x Acan frags

Fungia frag

Blue sympodium frag

post-45018-1318559062_thumb.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank You!! Yeah it's the temp probe lol. I wasn't to worried about looks right now. I am hoping to add my chaeto and CUC on Monday or Tuesday. Then I'll also remove the heater from the display lol. I was making sure my temps were staying stable.

Good call B)

Sooooooooo.... What are you going to put in this thing?

Well my stocking list at the moment is: Yellow headed Jawfish, Tailspot Blenny, and Tanakas Pygmy Wrasse. In that order.

Hi, MSS!

Funny that we have the same initials, too! Just letting you know I found the thread. Great looking rock-scape!

Haha yeah, I wonder what else we have in common? Thank you, I like your scape as well. Your rock has so much color! When do you plan on adding your first fish?

Well last night I caught 2 crabs! Had to take apart my scape to do it, but they are out! Hopefully I will be able to get my clean up crew tomorrow! :)

Also had this weird yellow worm on my glass yesterday. Sorry the pictures suck, all I have is an iphone right now. post-45018-1317077851.jpg

Well my stocking list at the moment is: Yellow headed Jawfish, Tailspot Blenny, and Tanakas Pygmy Wrasse. In that order.

Haha yeah, I wonder what else we have in common? Thank you, I like your scape as well. Your rock has so much color! When do you plan on adding your first fish?

I haven't decided on what fish just yet. I am having such a good time just staring at the colors :P. I am also having an algae outbreak, tho params are all checking at 0 -- don't have a phosphate kit, though, so that may be a problem. I'll bring a sample to OE this afternoon and see if they can figure it out. The snails are doing a good job of the stuff on the walls, but I've been pulling the algae off the sands just like I weed my gardens.

When I do add, I'll probably start with a couple of small gobies (green banded and yellow), maybe an ocellaris. I really want to add some coral -- zooanthids, especially, and am waiting for the tank to settle into being somewhat more established first. But I'm so anxious to see some movement besides nems finding new spots to settle! Eventually I have to make a decision about them -- I have lots and they're big.

Fwiw, if you're having algae, but you're reading 0 on your levels, it's a false negative. The algae consumes it to grow before you can test for it. All tanks go through an algae phase I'm sure you've seen and read, it's nothing to worry about and will rectify soon :)

What kind of nems are they? Are you sure they aren't aiptasia?

Well, Tuesday I finally added my clean up crew. I also added my chaeto and chemi-pure elite. Also moved the heater and temp probe into the back chambers. I think I'm going to go to my LFS store tomorrow and get a few gallsons of SW so I can do a water change and look at some of the new fish they got in. How long should I leave my light on for the chaeto? I plan on having it on when the display lights are off.

Picture of the brain coral as metrokat requested

post-45018-1317339036_thumb.jpg

I've been thinking about corals a lot lately. Here's a list of corals I think I might start out with. Some of them are kind of unusual for beginner corals in my opinion. If you think something might be to advanced for me to start out with, please let me know. Mr.Corals $10 section is looking pretty darn good to me.

Acans

Zoas

mushrooms

GSP

Ricordea

Chalise

Leptastrea

Favia

Hi good start :) looks really good!

Research mr coral before buying, I think I've read some not so great reviews on that site.

I've also heard the same thing, I've not dealt with them but I don't think I'd want to risk it. That free clam offer is seriously tempting though.

Well yesterday was a big day for my tank. After the lfs tested my water they told me that it was a go for fish and corals! My lfs didn't manage to get a tailspot blenny or a pygmy wrasse. But my fish lady did see what was listed as a "wrasse" and thought of me when she saw it. The wrasse she showed me was absolutely beautiful, a bright pink with a black spot near its tail fin. We tried identifying the wrasse but couldn't find anything. I am almost positive it is female though. My guesses are Cirrhilabrus adornatus, Cirrhilabrus flavidorsalis, or Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus. Yes I took her home. Will I regret my hasty decision? Possibly. I am going to pay very close attention to her/its behavior. She hasn't started swimming in the front of the tank yet, but she has been exploring the back and I see her come out and peek at me sometimes. She's pretty curious. That's kind of what really attracted me to her. As soon as she becomes comfortable enough for a photo session I will post pics so I can get help with an id.

I also bought my first coral, a small purple blue and green ricordia. Also when I came home last night, it looked as though something attacked my feather duster :( Its all tattered. Wonder what did it?

Lee Van Reef

Hmm, the feather duster killer might be a shrimp or crab that hitchhiked on a rock.

Also, this thread requires more pics! :P

I just noticed that you have listed you are from Gainesville. Do you go to UF? I graduated from UF and am currently in grad school at UC Berkeley. GO GATORS! :D

You should post a few more pictures of the tank. I just set up my first saltwater tank, so I'd love to see your progress as well. Also, can we have some pictures of the wrasse?

Hmm, the feather duster killer might be a shrimp or crab that hitchhiked on a rock.

Also, this thread requires more pics! :P

I've had the tank up for a month now, isn't it weird that it took so long to attack it? Also I found my feather duster in the sand today, RIP little guy. I loved that thing lol. As for pictures, I have a really crappy digital camera and an iphone, but my boyfriend let me use his iphone4 today. So I have a few new pictures.

I just noticed that you have listed you are from Gainesville. Do you go to UF? I graduated from UF and am currently in grad school at UC Berkeley. GO GATORS! :D

You should post a few more pictures of the tank. I just set up my first saltwater tank, so I'd love to see your progress as well. Also, can we have some pictures of the wrasse?

No, I don't go to UF. I go to Santa Fe. My brother graduated from UF though, and I hope to attend in a few years. Go Gators! lol. You asked for pictures, well here they are..

post-45018-1317594342_thumb.jpg

No, I don't go to UF. I go to Santa Fe. My brother graduated from UF though, and I hope to attend in a few years. Go Gators! lol. You asked for pictures, well here they are..

post-45018-1317594342_thumb.jpg

The fish looks great. I love how brightly colored it is. Its always nice to meet other people from Gainesville. :)

Well, after 4 days of what appeared to be ich on my new fish, is now gone. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that ichs lifespan is a lot longer than that.

I'm having a few problems with the tank though. I've had a diatom bloom for about a week now, and I have no idea why, since my levels all tested just fine at the lfs a day before the bloom. Also I can't seem to keep the temp where I want it. I'm having a temp swing from 77 to 81. I'm thinking it might be because I have a 75watt heater instead of a 50watt? My water level in my back chambers is also getting low faster than I think it should. Yet my salinity is just fine, according to my hydrometer. I'm taking water to the lfs store tomorrow to get my params checked out.

Looking back at my first month of the tank being up and running, I would do a few things differently.

1.) No Gulf Rock- Too many hitchhikers, and no place to put corals. Good for a FOWLR in my opinion.

2.) Get some sort of auto top off

3.) Smaller heater

4.) Get some type of controller that also has an app on my phone, so I know whats going on in my tank 24/7

5.) Purchased a refractometer

Did a 50% water change last night, everything is looking great at the moment. I just ordered some frags from Mr.Coral that will be here Saturday. I ordered- zoas, chalices, acans, favia, and a fungia. Any tips or pointers as to how I should care for them, if I should dip them, drip acclimate?

Builder Anthony

You might want to have a extra container full of water or a backup plan if something shows up dieing so you can put it in there and not in the display.

I put my corals in a clear glass and look at them real good before adding htem.I also do a freshwater dip for about 5- 8 seconds,but this is very stressful to the corals.If you dip them for longer your really looking to killing them.They really hate it but flatworms fall off instantly if they are on there.

I would consider leaving them on the plugs they came on till you can observe them better they will most likely be healing so being on a plug might not be bad until the are healded so they dont get tossed around in the tank.

I would also keep the light on a little longer the day they arrive since they been in the dark while shipping.

Hope that helps a little.

Also I can't seem to keep the temp where I want it. I'm having a temp swing from 77 to 81. I'm thinking it might be because I have a 75watt heater instead of a 50watt?

You really think it's because the heater is too big?

I'm having a similar problem in my 14g and I also have a 75 watt heater. At night the temps swing by +/-2, which is all about the heater. I can't even talk about how crazy it's been during the day, but we've gone from 95 to 55 to 85 just in the last few weeks up here in NYC and I don't have central air so controlling the temp has been a struggle.

Archived