inTank Media Baskets

Fiesta's 10G Reef

Fiesta_reef_time

Fiesta_reef_time

Hello Everyone,

Background

I Started this tank with my dad on November 14 2010. A 10G aquarium, which was a freshwater tank for almost 10 years. The tank cycled with live rock from November '10 till February '11 at which point I had added in the CUC. In April '11 we added in all corals + fish. By June 2011 all the fish (clowns and gobies) had died, along with all the CUC but one hermit made it through, I also lost a few LPS frags. These deaths were caused by an irresponsible waterchange where I forgot to measure the SG (it was at 1.030) And it almost instantly killed a lot of tank inhabitants. For about nearly a year the tank was very boring, no fish, no livestock. Until more recently I decided to give it a re-vamp.

Equipment

- T5 High Output 18'' Nova Extreme Pro Lighting Fixture

- EBO Jager 50Watt Heater

- 2x Eheim Powerballs 172GPH

- Hagen 10 Gallon Tank

- Marineland Glass Hood

- HOB Filter filtered with Chemi-Pure Elite media.

Livestock (Current June 2012)

-2 large Eagle Eye Zoa polyp colonies

-5 Frags of Yuma and Florida Ricordea

-Frogspawn

-Anchor Coral

-Toadstool

-Candy Cane Acan

- mushrooms

-Cleaner Shrimp

-8 Hermit crabs

- 2Ocellaris Clowns

-kenya tree

Current Tank Shots June 2012

New Zoas

Zoa.jpg

Tubeworm Featherdusters

worms.jpg

Toadstool

toadstool.jpg

Kenya tree and Mushrooms:

space.jpg

Cleaner Shrimp:

shirm.jpg

Mushroom Closeup:

mushroom.jpg

Frogspawn Closeup:

frogspawn.jpg

Anchor Coral:

anchor.jpg

Another Zoa Shot:

anothrezoa.jpg

FTS from a Week Ago:

FTS.jpg

Most Recent FTS, taken after adding in 6 frags of corals, and 2 clownfish. Today, June 22 2012.

IMG_8289.jpg

These photos (with the exception of the most recent FTS) were taken with a Nikon D800E w/ a manual macro

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Pictures

DSC_4232.jpg

DSC_4215.jpg

DSC_4213.jpg

DSC_4219.jpg

DSC_4212.jpg

DSC_4195.jpg

DSC_4203.jpg

DSC_4196.jpg

DSC_4192.jpg

DSC_4222.jpg

DSC_4198.jpg

DSC_4242.jpg

These photos were taken over a year ago with a Nikon D80 w/ classic lens

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers,

Shawn ( Fiesta_reef_time)

herranton

looks great. you definatly have the patients for this hobby. I like the non-shopped photos the best. Its a nice tank, be proud of it the way it is.

It looks great, looks like you have talent for growing LPs coral - patience lol. how long did it take for those to grow that big?

Fiesta_reef_time

I bought them through the Manhattan reef market place when they were young coral, and it took about 4 months for the Anchor to fully develop, but the torch is still growing after 4 months.

Fiesta_reef_time

If I were to bring in a YWG and maybe a pistol shrimp, would it be best if I were to move all corals on the bottom to the rocks?

I only wish I could grow frogspawn like that. I just got my third one added it to new tank.Fingers X.

Your tank looks awesome. Great job. :bowdown:

Fiesta_reef_time
I only wish I could grow frogspawn like that. I just got my third one added it to new tank.Fingers X.

Your tank looks awesome. Great job. :bowdown:

Thank-you for the kind words! My frogspawn is positioned right under the direct current of one of my powerheads, not directly in current, so in a way to stimulate a unexpected vibration alike in its natural habitat. Thats what I have found best. And another thing with LPS, don't spend money on growth formula (unless you've got a huge tank), I found the best remedy for LPS growth is simple patience.

Good luck with your Frogspawn!

• 2 weeks later...
Fiesta_reef_time

New Pictures!

DSC_4262.jpg

A better picture of one of my clowns hiding in the torch coral.

DSC_4261.jpg

Candy Cane Close Up

DSC_4284.jpg

Mushroom close up.

Hope you enjoy!

Fiesta_reef_time
Nice tank, I like those mushrooms.

Thanks. I hope to get more purple mushrooms to glue to the white rock.

paradox_of_reef

That candy cane is beautiful. I'm really digging all the LPS you have going on over there.

Fiesta_reef_time
That candy cane is beautiful. I'm really digging all the LPS you have going on over there.

Thanks Paradox!

• 5 weeks later...
Fiesta_reef_time

Hello All, I have added in a poll on Your Opinion of my reef, please leave an answer for me, I really wanna know what I can do with my tank now that I've had it for 8 months.

Thanks!

Fiesta_reef_time
very nice tank! all the LPS look really good, just the weird powerheads look a little strange lol

Thanks. I know they look different. I am thinking about getting the hydor koralia somewhere down the road.

I got a K-nano for my 10 recently and it is awesome. i got the 425gph model (its the same small size as the weaker one, but it puts out so much more flow), and i really like it. its intense but i point it up to the surface and my corals really responded well with healthy growth and full polyp extension. i think a better powerhead would not hurt your tank :)

also i said leave it as it is because its too easy to crowd a small tank like ours with coral and then run out of room real quick when everything grows in.

you just can't go wrong with t5 lighting I really like it. looks intense enough too and with good color, the polyp extension is very top notch

B

you know brandon, i had T5s on my 10 gal nano for a while, but i have to say that i love MH lighting more after i saw how my reef reacted to it. plus it make the tank look so amazing and natural with the shimmer.

Fiesta_reef_time, if you ever feel like your T5 isnt giving off enough light for your corals, i encourage you to try out a 70W MH for the 10 gallon :)

looks great. you definatly have the patients for this hobby. I like the non-shopped photos the best. Its a nice tank, be proud of it the way it is.

+2

Nice tank!

+1

Very nice tank! I like the natural feel. Go slow and see what happens.

Archived