inTank Media Baskets

Counter Surfing Memorial Thread

anemone fan

What jumped?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. What group of fish jumped out of your tank?

• Clowns
    • Wrasses
    • Angels
    • Butterflies
    • Gobies
    • Blennies
    • Damsels
    • Tangs
    • Groupers
    • Lionfish
    • Frogfish
    • Jawfish
    • Other (Tell Me What I'm Missing)

I thought that, seeing how there isn't one, there should be a memorial thread for all those fishes who decided that jumping out of water would be a good idea. Write a little memorial note and vote in the poll so that people can use this as a resource to see which animals are actually jumping out of people's tanks.

In memory of Carmine the clown.

RIP Carmine the Ocellaris

He was a good fish before he decided that under the desk was better than underwater.

post-55672-1286546757_thumb.jpg

well... lets just say that the first steps the biggest!

I voted clowns, but its only one clown...and she doesn't jump to jump...she jumps to attack me. She has done it twice so far (over 3 months of owning her), she gets impatient with my hand about to go in the water and to defend her tank so she jumps out at me...its crazy.

I voted clowns, but its only one clown...and she doesn't jump to jump...she jumps to attack me. She has done it twice so far (over 3 months of owning her), she gets impatient with my hand about to go in the water and to defend her tank so she jumps out at me...its crazy.

Put a cover on that tank or your gonna lose it someday. I had a FW fish jump on me once and it went down my air vent and died from the crap that was in my vent.

RIP sixline and springers damsel. I even had a cover. took it off for 20 min and the wrasse jumped.

I'll get some pics up.

I've also had FW fish jump on me.

RCII-vi.jpg

My Firefish RC II (1/19/08-10/28/09)

Saved him once when he jumped. I was cleaning the tank and had the glass lid open. I was walking away and I heard a sound. I had a plastic bag by the tank and it sounded like something fell on it. Went to see what fell and there he was on the shopping bag. Put him back in the tank and he was laying on the bottom for a while and was swimming funny for a few days but pulled through.

Second time he jumped it was after I added a new fish to the tank. He was M.I.A. for a day and I found him behind the tank. :tears:

My first firefish I had for about a month before it found the two inch by one inch gap in the lid.

• 2 weeks later...
carbon-mantis

Finger Nipper the domino damsel, ah, how the others in the tank probably celebrated your demise, and yet you are remembered of fondly still. Darn little guy managed to find about 2" of space between the light and the filter. If I hadn't found him when I came home that day the cat would have probably made a snack of his remains.

I lost an O. Clown just recently and 2x Orange spotted gobies.

Strangely I have 3 school firefish and not one has even tried to jump. :huh:

Lost an Ornate, Delhezi, Senegalus, Albino Senegalus, and Weeksii bichirs in the course of a month after moving. Had them in a new 125 with a juv Silver Arowana and all of them managed to jump through the spacing left for my fluval filter hoses. Needless to say we have yet to buy another bichir or lose the original Senegalus.

Oh and 3 clown loaches, 2 black ghost knifefish, juv Arowana

Lost my green clown goby to counter surfing.

CIMG5756.jpg

And while not a fish, one of my sexy shrimps met the same demise although I'm convinced that my emerald crab may have had a hand in it. :angry:

CIMG4912.jpg

RIP, Shakira. :(

Have not had any SW fish go for the plunge, i did manage to save 2 freshwaters, I dont know how I woke up in the middle of the night hearing a hatchetfish floping around.. but I did :)

My firefish likes to jump too.. not out yet though i have a glass top

I had a red eye barnacle blennie take the plunge on me the first nite I had him. Found the smallest hole imaginable! But then again I lost a kelberi peacock bass to a 1"x 1" hole so anything is possible.

My Mystery Wrasse took the big jump one day. My wife found him on the floor (no idea how long he was there) because she saw our dog nosing around a dark spot on the floor. She scooped him up & tossed him in. He laid motionless for awhile then kinda got stung by some Dendros & came jerking back to life.

He is now doing fine although now is harassing our Lawnmower Blenny.

BTW his name is officially "The Incredible Mr. Limpet". Kinda looks like him too.

seahorsedreams

You're missing scorpionfish.

My barnacle blennies try to jump, but it's during feeding so someone is always standing there. It's like Ping Pong. They jump out of the water, I put up my hand and bat them back in mid air.

Had 2 fuzzy lions jump, a couple of scorpion fish and a scissor tail goby when I started my tanks 15 years ago.

My occellaris jumped out luckily it was when i was sitting right in front of the tank.

Sleeper and yellow watchmen jumped out and they jumped out when i had a lidon it still don't know how they did it. :huh:

• 4 weeks later...
He didnt jump....just popped up to say what up...yes hes alive i startled him when i flipped the lights on.

That picture is scary man, red-eyed fish crawling out of the water. He is gonna come out when your sleeping and kill you man. WATCH OUT!!! :o

That picture is scary man, red-eyed fish crawling out of the water. He is gonna come out when your sleeping and kill you man. WATCH OUT!!! :o

It was like 6:30 in the morning as I was getting ready to leave for work too....

Worst part was I almost pushed him back in with my hand lol

He didnt jump....just popped up to say what up...yes hes alive i startled him when i flipped the lights on.

Great photo!

RIP Cambria

5184871553_896db72664.jpg

You looked like a BBQ lays chip when I found you. You have been replaced. Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a fish, nor saltwater. But my amano shrimp decided to walk right of his tank to his death. Found him 2 days later under my desk and 5' away from where he was SUPPOSED to reside. :angry:

Not on your list...

080210a.jpg

My Orange Lined Cardinalfish jumped to his demise.

I also lost 2 or 3 Ocellaris Clownfish and at least one Yellow Goby. In addition, my Black Cap Basslet jumped from his bag (while floating in the tank onto the cement) during acclimation; he was fine. And my current Watanabe's Angelfish has jumped twice and is still alive.

Archived