SaltCritters.com

[Biocube 29] -- Finally "Taking the Dip" Into Saltwater!

Reef_Monster

Reef_Monster

Greetings,

I am ready to get started on my adventure into the world of saltwater.

I have been studying both online and in books for many months and am going out to buy a used 29 gallon Biocube I have had my eye on.

It is currently mostly drained with moist sand remaining in the tank.

It comes with 6lbs of live rock (not enough I know, but it is in good condition). My only worry is it has been sitting in a bucket of saltwater with no water movement or changes for a few weeks and will be for a few more. I may be looking at some major die-off on that rock.

The tank has been in operation for one year and all is in working condition with no leaks.

This thread shall begin during the somewhat boring, but building excitement of taking the tank home on the 15th of next month.

I have some ideas about what I want to do with the tank, but am looking for input/suggestions from as many places as possible.

Ideal Modifications:

• Build Custom Stand to Hold Aquarium
  • widen notch between chambers one and two
  • Remove Bio Balls
  • Remove Stock filter cartridge
  • Remove false floor in 1st compartment and insert heater (Stealth 150W)
  • I'm considering the CPR Aquatics SR3 Protein Skimmer and Tunze 9002 for compartment two
  • Add 2 power-heads directed at the front wall of the tank

Livestock:

• 1 Pair Ocellaris Clownfish
  • 1 Firefish
  • 1 Shrimp Goby or 1 Yellow head jawfish
  • 1 Royal Gramma considering new options . . .
  • 30 (or so) lbs of live rock
  • Looking for Clean Up Crew Suggestions (snails/shrimp/ect)

I think that's about it for my beginning ideas. I'm here to make sure I am prepared and don't make too many "newbie" mistakes.

Welcome!

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't put 5 fish in a 29g. I have two clowns, a pygmy angel, and a purple firefish in my 34g Solana and I think that's about right. Plus, royal gramma's are known to be aggressive.

For a heater I would highly recommend the Stealth heaters made by Marineland. There are also Stealth "Pro" versions out now. You might be able to get away with a 100w heater. But I would go with a 150w one just to be safe.

Check out the Tunze 9002 skimmer.

Two Koralia 1's would be a good choice for flow in that tank. But if you can afford it, a Vortech would be an even better choice.

Good luck!

you would do fine with 2 nano's also as long as you had good placement. make sure you point your return towards the surface for agitation. the fans will move the water elsewhere.

the amount of fish you want shouldn't be a problem with a skimmer and routine maintenance. i've seen people who don't use skimmers and get away clean with 7-9 fish (size dependent & other factors). skip on the gramma too. you could seed that tank with copepods and get a wrasse. lots of cool ones out there that are mostly reef-safe.

i have the stealth 150w too and it works pretty good. also replaced the stock pump with the MJ900. the joint at the top is not an elbow and gives better flow. somehow i got it in there with the suction cups, but i guess you don't need em?

for CUC:

margarita snails

stomatella snails

cortez hermits

dwarf blue-legged hermits

nassarius snails

skunk cleaner shrimp

stay away from camel shrimp and emerald crabs. they can be very sketch and not really reef-safe. i have both and have seen them nip at coral. hard to catch and kill...

Reef_Monster

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

I will strike the royal gramma and consider replacement possibilities. I may even have a better idea once the first few fish are in the tank and everything is stable.

I've heard hermits have a tendency to prey on the snails in the tanks for the shells. Would that be the case in the COC you suggested?

The stealth 150w seems like a consensus amongst a number of people. I will look into getting one of those.

I'm learning more each day.

I've heard hermits have a tendency to prey on the snails in the tanks for the shells.

This is the reason I decided to keep hermits out of my tank. I'm glad I did, too.

• 1 month later...
Reef_Monster

The tank is now in some degree of up and running.

saltwater is mixed and heated.

Temp: 78

Salinity: 1.023

I have added 11 pounds of live rock to bring the total in the tank to somewhere around 20lbs. Not ideal, but closer.

Here are some photos of the tank as it stands ( I know everyone loves pictures) especially me.

post-53957-1280534386_thumb.jpg

post-53957-1280534397_thumb.jpg

Reef_Monster
hey, great scape!

Thanks. It took me several tries to get the look I was searching for.

Looking good! Headed for the even 29 lbs?

That is the goal. I'm a little disappointed about the lack of life coming out of this rock so far. The tank looks crystal clear. there still may be plenty going on beneath the surface. Only time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...
Reef_Monster

Here we are about 1 month into the experience.

Levels:

Temp - 79°F

Salinity - 1.024

pH - 8.0

Ammonia - 0.25 ppm

Nitrite - 0 ppm

Nitrate - 20 ppm

No fish, No CUC, Added Korialia 1 facing front wall of the tank.

This is progress. More to come very soon I hope.

go ahead and get a CuC (reefcleaners has a great pack for 15 shipped) and let them start making more waste thereby raising your good bacteria levels in the rock more. need to increase your bioload (albeit very slowly in small small steps)

Reef_Monster

I know I like seeing picture updates from other people out there so I will amuse the powers at be as well.

post-53957-1282791941_thumb.jpg

Right Side

post-53957-1282791956_thumb.jpg

Left Side

post-53957-1282791824_thumb.jpg

Front

Snail-based clean up crew added. They seem active in cleaning and searching for hiding places.

It is nice to see some mobile living things in the tank (while still not rushing the natural order of things)

pH: 8.2

Sp. Grav: 1.0235

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 20ppm

Reef_Monster
nice feather worm! looks really cool. what kind of snails did you get?

I got some Dwarf Ceriths, Nassarius, Florida Ceriths, and Nerites. (3-4 of each type).

I had a few empty shells amongst my aquarium supplies so I added those to the system as well.

Also did a 3 gal water change today.

I have a biocube 29 and it's modified as well take a look at my link in my signature, yeah five fish is too much in a 29, I have 2 bangaii cardinal fish and 1 firefish, i might do one sand sifting goby but even that is pushing it with the amount of CUC i have in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to my new Firefish Goby.

He has been in the tank about a week now and is doing well. There are plenty of knooks, crannies, and caves for him to hide in. He really enjoys swimming in the flow of the powerhead and looking around the tank for food.

post-53957-1283954248_thumb.jpg

Spec. Grav: 1.0235

pH 8.2

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate <10ppm

• 3 months later...

In the holiday spirit it is about time for an update with some pictures!

The tank is doing well and coming up on it's 6-month Anniversary.

Spec. Grav: 1.026

pH 8.2

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

The tank now contains two TR Ocellaris Clownfish and one Firefish Goby

post-53957-1291852052_thumb.jpg

I am experiencing some white (spiderweb) like connected filaments on my LR that I have never seen before. I tried to get some good shots of it, but it is in an awkward spot.

post-53957-1291852059_thumb.jpg

And I think I ended up with a sponge? He was never there before either. It seems like he sprouted without me noticing.

post-53957-1291852068_thumb.jpg

post-53957-1291852077_thumb.jpg

My updated filtration system includes:

Chamber1: Heater

Chamber2: Filter Floss, Nitrate Sponge, Empty

Chamber3: Cheato

post-53957-1291852084_thumb.jpg

Cheato with coralline growth?

post-53957-1291852704_thumb.jpg

with the fuge light on

post-53957-1291852709_thumb.jpg

It's growing on the walls too . . .