inTank Media Baskets

REMINDER: Infection's Suck!

phorensic

Ripped a big hangnail off, went to SW-CFM, bought some frags, put them in tank and rearranged the tank all day. I was doing all kinda of things, so my hands were in the water all day. I also glued some Nuclear Green Paly's and some Purple Death Paly's....which obviously got pissed and slimed all over my hands.

I wake up the next morning to a swollen finger with red skin....CRAP! Paly toxin or something! Start taking Amoxicillin right away because A) I read multiple posts about coral infections and then using Amoxicillin, and B ) I'm between jobs = no insurance....awesome, right?

Wrong antibiotic! Wrong diagnosis! Folks! Go see a doctor!

The infection started spreading up into my hand the next day....Oh crap. Elbow started getting sore, then shoulder. Head started hurting, although that was probably more from all the nurses in training I work with screaming at me "GO SEE A DOCTOR, YOU CAN DIE!!!"

So I go see a doctor. Everyone is like...OMG. Doctor has actually treated many aquarium related infections and perscribes me to no less than EIGHT WEEKS of ultra mega antibiotics. Rifampin and Clarithromycin.

Side effects include nausea, vomiting, fever, dizzyness, short of breath, and on and on...Oh and NUCLEAR ORANGE PEE!!!...Of which I have all of them. But guess what, my hand is starting to get less swollen and red!

Gotta take this stuff seriously folks. It took a school full of nurses and a diver to scare me enough to do the right thing. Damn my wallet feels light, anybody want to buy some coral?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear that! Treatment really wrecks the bacteria in your digestive system. :mellow:

Reminds me of a fairly recent post where it was recommended (to beginners no less) not to wear gloves. :wacko:

Thanks for posting, it might help a few more people protect themselves when handling coral (man up and wear some gloves guys).

Got any pics? :scarry:

edited for late night spelling

neanderthalman

If it were palytoxin, you wouldn't be posting about it. FYI.

The warning about the seriousness of infections from the bacteria in our tanks is highly appropriate. Take heed people. Phorensic was lucky and didn't lose his hand.

Yet.

:P

No pics, sorry. It looked boring. It looked like I slammed my hand in a door. Very swollen and red. It was very hot around the area that was infected. It was spreading about 1-2" every 12 hours. It worked well to pick up on chicks, too....like, "Hey what's wrong with your finger!" "Ah, nothin'...just a life threatening infection from my awesome CORAL REEF". I bet you can imagine where the convo's went from there, lol.

OClownsandNanos

Sorry to hear about it, sounds awful. Hope you get better soon. I try to wear gloves too, but the gloves I can actually do finer stuff with are not long enough when I'm working at the bottom of the tank, so they get tank water in them anyway. :( Your sad story gives me more incentive to try to find a longer pair of gloves just in case.

Try to eat yogurt also while taking your meds and after you're done with them. Helps with the digestive system in replenishing needed bacteria. Good luck!

cheryl jordan

The owner of my LFS recieved a wound to his arm while cleaning tanks. Within a couple of hours, it became red and extremely painful to the touch. He called me and told me he had gone to a walkin clinic and they had given him a scrip for antibiotics, but he had developed a fever and the pain was becoming unbearable. I instructed him to go to the ER.

His condition continued to decline despite IV antibiotics. They cultured the wound and it was Vibro vulnificus, which is typically seen in seafood poisioning. Although unusual to have a wound infection it can happen when working with SW system. Most people who present to the ER with this infection DIE within 48 hours post admission.

He spent several days on a strong IV antibiotic therapy and nearly lost his arm and his life. Had he taken the advice of the walkin clinic he would have not survived.

This was three months ago, and he still has the wound to his forearm, and the disease took it's toll and he is still recovering even today.

If you even suspect you have an infection related to working with SW tanks, insist on a wound culture and be aggressive with regard to getting answers. Do not simply take the word of a one MD, you need to speak with a MD in Infectious Disease.

http://www.textbookofbacteriology.net/V.vulnificus.html

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1055523-overview

cheryl jordan
Info like this should be stickied IMO

Read the links. Despite the fact that I provided information that can potentially keep hobbyist safer it is still recieved with hostility. If you need pics or a account by the LFS himself that can be provided.

It is in no way IMO it is fact. I did my research, you should do yours and embrace advice such as this as it is intended, to assist others.

kamikaze_fish

Either you quoted because you're agreeing with me or you quoted cause you think I'm disagreeing with you but that's my point. More people need to be aware of these risks and instead of people saying "man up" like in the other thread, they should definitely be advising wearing gloves and trying even harder not to suck in old water, even on accident.

I always wear gloves when handling or fragging corals -- bar none. To me, it's like wearing a seatbelt in the car -- you never know when you'll really need it, but if it can potentially save your life, you better wear it religiously.

pismo_reefer

Jesus, man!!!

I have scrapes and cuts everytime I put mah hands in the tank....

Sorry to hear about this happening....

Friggin' ouch.

pismo_reefer
i need to get gloves

If you have a cut, it dont matter....

the water's gettin in there.

;)

Use PEROXIDE after you go tank-diving w/ cuts.... :slap:

neanderthalman
Read the links. Despite the fact that I provided information that can potentially keep hobbyist safer it is still recieved with hostility.

Hostility? Where?

:huh:

Another thread?

cheryl jordan
Hostility? Where?

:huh:

Another thread?

Glad you boys could stop by and spread your usual enthusiasm and support.

It amazing though how you always come in groups, guess great minds think alike ? B)

Yea, when I volunteered at the Down Town Aquarium, you had to sit through a 2 hour lecture on diseases that can be communicated from salt water to humans, and sign a waiver maybe 12 times.

Palytoxin scares you? Bah hum bug. Theres some crap you can potentially get that I thought I'd have to be in South America to be at risk for. Flesh Eating viruses, a very nasty microscopic worm that attacks your heart, Legionares Disease, Salmonella (of course), and that is the tip of the ice berg.

I still don't wear gloves, all though I'll use some disinfectant on occasion when I get done. Its all a possibility, just like there is the potential to die every time you step foot outside. I'm not about to get paranoid about it.

neanderthalman
Glad you boys could stop by and spread your usual enthusiasm and support.

It amazing though how you always come in groups, guess great minds think alike ? B)

no_idea.jpg

Archived