Coral Vue Hydros

Thads RSM 130D

thadscottmoore

thadscottmoore

Well, it appears I am the proud owner of one of the only two sapphire aquatics protein skimmers that Kyle ever built for the redseamax!!! purchased it this evening.

thadscottmoore

ok, installed nanocustoms 150Watt MH conversion- with 4 18watt blue actinics and Dual 5- LED extreme Moon lights. also, installed the last proto-type revision of the RSM Sapphire Aquatics Skimmer. Works like a charm!

I traded our beloved foxnose in. new additions include- more zoas, a fist size favia, a purple clam, cryptonite candy cane, some bright green monti, and various types and colors of mushrooms, and a hand size bright orange sponge and a purple fire fish.

photos to follow soon!

• 4 months later...
ok, installed nanocustoms 150Watt MH conversion- with 4 18watt blue actinics and Dual 5- LED extreme Moon lights. also, installed the last proto-type revision of the RSM Sapphire Aquatics Skimmer. Works like a charm!

I traded our beloved foxnose in. new additions include- more zoas, a fist size favia, a purple clam, cryptonite candy cane, some bright green monti, and various types and colors of mushrooms, and a hand size bright orange sponge and a purple fire fish.

photos to follow soon!

pics/info on said mods please....

thadscottmoore

dsc00865.jpg

This is the back of tank looking down on rear chambers- my sapphire aquatics protein skimmer in middle with the bubble trap chamber I added to it on the left of it. To the right is my ATO float switches and a mess of wires! :)

dsc00868.jpg

My ATO sump and inline Kalk reactor in the stand.

pics/info on said mods please....
thadscottmoore
DSC00885.jpg

I realized today- how long its been since I did some proper maintenance to the rsm! The light system was in desperate need of cleaning. I took this photo while my wife cleaned the removed splash shield.

thadscottmoore
What about the light mod? Is it much cooler?

I love my tank setup. The light mod is a difference of night and day compared to stock system. If I had it to do over again- "which I will do one day in the next year or so " - I want to go total LED setup.

The MH is awesome and I have no issues with heat problems. My cooling fans run 24/7. The actinics turn on at 11am, the MH turns on at 1pm and turns off at 8pm, the actinics turn off at 9:30pm- moon lights come on at 9:15pm and turn off at 5am. I also have the ATO timed for night work 9pm-12pm. Kalk reactor miixes 15 minutes every 6 hours.

• 6 months later...
thadscottmoore

My newest project - completed last weekend. I built a refugium sump based somewhat on the lifereef sump refugium design. of course I incorporated some changes to my liking.

Acrylic material - 138.00

Weld-On #16 (Ebay purchase- wish I would have went with #4)

Misc plumbing- 80.00

Mag 7 Drive Pump (LFS)

Tunze 9002 with Air Mod. (purchased online and did mod myself)

Lifereef overflow- (purchased from Lifereef (superior craftmanship!))

a weekend of planning out and laying out and fabricating

result- pure happiness! :D

1295970470.jpg

1295970537.jpg

1295970543.jpg

1295970576.jpg

1295970639.jpg

figure I would throw in a couple shots of the home-made screen cover.

1295970240.jpg

1295970468.jpg

• 10 months later...
thadscottmoore

Been a while since I posted on my tank. after the AirCondition failure over the summer that devastated most of my tank population of corals and fish and inverts, It is slowly making a comeback. I recently decided to test out LEDs on the old tank.

IMG_20111205_180730.jpg

IMG_20111205_181025.jpg

IMG_20111205_181218.jpg

IMG_20111205_181030.jpg

IMG_20111205_181037.jpg

IMG_20111119_085407.jpg

under MH and T5

IMG_20111106_203938.jpg

IMG_20111106_204012.jpg

IMG_20111106_203954.jpg

IMG_20111017_205922.jpg

IMG_20111017_205854.jpg

IMG_20111017_205906.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
ok that wasn't any better. I don't think it is the equipment, it's the cameraman! :lol:

LOL

Looks good from what I can see. Try to put the camera right on the glass and turn the flash off.

Dude, your pics are worse than mine, lol

Hey, how do you like the lights? And, do you have some sort of cover on there?

thadscottmoore

Well, considering that I have not cleaned my glass since July/August- I suppose that might help improve the photos! Its been about 6-7 weeks since I did a water change on it too. I might get around to that sometime this weekend... The LED fixture that is on the tank belongs to a friend of mine- he is loaning it to me to give me opportunity to decide if I want to go that route- I am either going with the AI Sol Blue or the AI Phoenix or go with the Radion fixture. Been leaning towards the Radion. I like the current light- my corals are responding nicely to the light- no ill effects noticed. Tank temps are lower than when I was running the metal halide and T5 fixture.I cant take a good photo of it- the colors just do not show in the photos- the fixture really makes the colors pop. If I try to photo it- its just a blue hue of a color. only draw back to the current fixture- cant hook a controller up to it to dim it- non dimmable....

my home made cover

1295970468.jpg

Thanks for the pic of the cover! I was at my LFS today and they just put up three Radions over a new open reef tank. First time I've seen them in person. All I can say is WOW!!!!

My RSM runs hot. So I was thinking instead of a chiller for 300- 500$, adding the stick on LEDS, I'll eventually get a Radion. But I don't want to go completely open top.

So for you, get the Radion and then a new camera, lol.

• 1 month later...

Archived