Innovative Marine Aquariums

6 gal biotope...pics added, WATER AND LR

jager

I have just started playing around with acrylic. My first adventure was building a 10 gal fuge for my 34 gal tank I setup last month. That experience went fairly well, so I thought I would build a pico for my office using the scrap pieces of acrylic I had from the previous build. I started playing around with ideas when I stumbled upon this thread. I really liked the dual biotope idea. I started running with the idea in google sketchup, using the pieces of scrap I had. The finalized design came out looking more like an upside down U than a L, since I wanted a small sump area for increase water capacity and ato. I also wanted the tank to be freestanding, although I will be adding a middle support structure to the stand I build.

I finished the rough assembly of the tank yesterday. I'm going to need to sand some areas down where I got overzealous with the weldon and paint a few areas black. I didn't have the camera with me last night so pictures are going to have to wait until tonight. I do have a quick sketch up rendering I created to give you an idea of what it looks like.

post-37534-1252591269_thumb.jpg

The total volume is 6.1 gallons if filled to the top.

Quite One 2200 pump (external operation) 581 gph!

Todo:

• add another return below the first one (need to divide the 581 gph a bit)
  • add a piece of acrylic to overflow teeth to allow adjustment of water level and flow
  • decide whether to add a diy cpr (hob fuge type) skimmer, my skimmer from my nano wave 9, or just add a place for media (chemipure, etc).
  • Figure out a design for the stand...then build it
  • Decide on rock layout and stocking for the biotope system (types of macroalgea, sand/mud, number of mangroves etc)
  • Decide on lighting. I may just use the 10 led setup from my nw 9. Also thinking about an Evil pico lamp when the new ones are ready.

If anyone has any ideas or questions feel free to chime in I would appreciate it.

Here are two pics I got last night. Just finished a water test.

post-37534-1252675965_thumb.jpg

post-37534-1252675961_thumb.jpg

Plumbing advice needed...

I think I need to upsize the 3/4" bulkhead in the overflow to 1". During testing lastnight the pump seemed like it wasn't getting enough water. It worked fine when I removed the standpipe, so the 3/4" bulkhead really isn't the problem, its probably the 90 degree elbow that comes out of the bulkhead and connects to the standpipe. I'm not sure what else to do other than step up to a 1" bulkhead and elbow.

Do I need to use a standpipe or could I just go with a strainer on the bulkhead. It is basically a closed loop system so even if it does clog the only thing that will happen is the pump will be fried. There would be no flooding since it is a closed loop.

Any other ideas.

I'm still trying to decide what is going where. I have a couple of options:

reef | macro area | mangroves w/ cheato | sump

reef | shallow reef | mangroves w/ cheato | macro in sump

reef | shallow reef and macro | mangroves w/ cheato | sump

reef | shallow reef | macro area | mangroves w/ cheato in sump.

I'm still trying to decide what is going where. I have a couple of options:

reef | macro area | mangroves w/ cheato | sump

reef | shallow reef | mangroves w/ cheato | macro in sump

reef | shallow reef and macro | mangroves w/ cheato | sump

reef | shallow reef | macro area | mangroves w/ cheato in sump.

I vote option three, It seems to have the best "flow" (for lack of a better word) You could keep the Cheato in the display, so you won't have to light your sump (making it a fuge) and will be able to use it for mechanical and chemical filtration.

the only problem with the cheato is that its really brittle and will have a tendency to end up all over your tank.

great tank and great idea,tagging along

I like option three the best as well. As far as cheato goes I going to do what John from reefcleaners recommends and have it grow around the roots of the mangroves. He also says that other forms of macro grow well between the roots.

Yup in the thread I linked to in the first post, Muggz's idea for his biotope was influenced by that pic. Then I stole Muggz's idea and changed it a tad. :D

IMO i think the deep part should be the reef(left side) then have a shallow reef (middle) and mangroves on the right (before the sump). I think this is going to look amazing.

As far as the pump the bulkhead should be fine with just a strainer but theres nothing wrong with going bigger.

I vote option three, It seems to have the best "flow" (for lack of a better word) You could keep the Cheato in the display, so you won't have to light your sump (making it a fuge) and will be able to use it for mechanical and chemical filtration.

the only problem with the cheato is that its really brittle and will have a tendency to end up all over your tank.

great tank and great idea,tagging along

Agreed, option 3 has the best flow. I'm going to suggest doing hard corals on the left drop off/ softies to mix with the macros/ and of course your mangroves on the far right.

I realize that this is farther down the road but; LED lighting would work incredibly well on this tank. That way you can adjust the lighting for the different partitions of the tank. Brighter and bluer for the deep end/ whiter and less intensity in the middle/ and yellower and softer on the far right...

Good luck, I'll be tagging along.

I realize that this is farther down the road but; LED lighting would work incredibly well on this tank. That way you can adjust the lighting for the different partitions of the tank. Brighter and bluer for the deep end/ whiter and less intensity in the middle/ and yellower and softer on the far right...

I have decided to go with LED lighting over the tank. I already have a 10 LED (6 blue, 4 white) setup from my nano wave 9 that I will be using. I think that should be enough light. I have the dimmer setup already as well. I hope to get the hood, stand and tank finished and setup in my office by tuesday. Then I can order live rock from sea life inc on tue.

I'm playing around with stand designs now. I'll post a few to see which you guys like better.

As small as the tank is I'd be afraid the mangroves root system may compromise the structural integrity of the fuge section in a matter of a year or perhaps less. Do you have any plans to pot your mangroves? There are ways to limit their growth of course which require a degree of maintenance on your part.

I'm a little behind schedule, but the stand is build, just need to stain it. I have a few more things to finish up on the tank itself, but hope to set it up monday. Also going to order rock that day if everything gets setup.

Marteen, thanks for the advice. How can you limit their growth? I plan on trimming the roots to keep them from overrunning the tank.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a little behind schedule, but the stand is build, just need to stain it. I have a few more things to finish up on the tank itself, but hope to set it up monday. Also going to order rock that day if everything gets setup.

Marteen, thanks for the advice. How can you limit their growth? I plan on trimming the roots to keep them from overrunning the tank.

any updates? this tank looks like it'll turn out awesome

Everything is pretty much done. The stand had been stained and the tank plumbed. I just need to get it to the office. I may be moving to a different office (same building) so I'm waiting to see if that is going to happen before I setup my tank. I have around 15 mangrove propagules growing in the sump of my home tank. Most of them now have roots and are starting to open up top. So hopefully I'll have two or three with leaves by the time this tank is setup. Also have so cool macro growing in another tank as well.

Soon. Sorry to delay. Nothing much has changed. I haven't moved things to my office yet. Just getting all of the boxes emptied from the office move. Hopefully soon. Mangroves have roots but no leaves at the moment. I do still need to paint some of the tank walls black and make a new standpipe.

Ok I have decided to not set this up in my office. Instead it is going in my new fish room. Good news is I should have time to clear out the room and at least setup the tank this weekend. Hopefully can add water too. We will see.

Stand is setup...Tank is painted. I just need to brace it in a few spots I believe and and sand, rock and water. Should have some cloudy pics tonight!!

Archived