Cultivated Reef

Dream 65 BR

805fish

So i finally got rid of my 110 Gallon and made room for my 65 Gallon Br. Thank you to everyone who helped me out trough the process of my 1st DIY tank. Tank was filled yesterday with RO/DI water. Tomorrow will add salt mix. As for now i'm running a 10 gal sump, but will upgrade to a 29 gal. Here are pics to show how its up and running. Tomorrow will ad around 40 pounds of live rock. And then will transfer my 29 AGA to it (probably a month later). Also added zip ties to stiffen up the center brace

Equipment/Other

• Korelia 4
  • Magnum Rated at 660 GPH
  • Coralife 2 150 20k Ushio DE MH
  • 50 Pounds of dry sand
  • 25 Pounds of dry rock
  • Oceanpure Synthetic Pro Sea Salt
  • ASM G-Series Protein Skimmer G-2
  • 29 AGA sump
  • PM Calcium Reactor
  • Aqua controller Jr

Fish

• Potters Wrasse
  • China Wrasse
  • M/F Pair of Firefish
  • McCoskers Wrasse

Corals

• 5 Rainbow Acan Lords
  • Duncan
  • Meteor Shower
  • Zoas/Paly
  • Crocea Clam
  • Red Cap
  • Silvertip Xenia

100_0785.jpg

Lots of water movement with my Korelia 4

100_0787.jpg

Drip Drip :happy:

100_0791.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweet!!!!

Thanks. Cant wait to stock it. Don't know if lighting will be enough since its a 24'' tall tank. Thinking of making it a zoa and some sps dominant. And probably a clam way later on.

Hey that looks the same as my tank...wait...it is. You'll have fun with this tank, I love the dimensions, unfortutely I will be taking mine down soon to make room for a 180 or 240. I'm ready for the plunge. Anyways, I'll be waiting to see how you stock it.

Hey that looks the same as my tank...wait...it is. You'll have fun with this tank, I love the dimensions, unfortutely I will be taking mine down soon to make room for a 180 or 240. I'm ready for the plunge. Anyways, I'll be waiting to see how you stock it.

Yes it is. I love the deminsions in this tank but think i might have lighting problems. Whats your lighting on yours? As for stocking im not sure yet but i cant wait to stock it myself hahah.

nice tank and b18c5 .I used to have one my self but now I'm rollin with a rb26dett ;)

:o rb26dett that sick

grr... wanna trade for a b18b1?? Or a turbo kit.

:flower:

:)

Bough 25 pounds of dry rock and clean them up. Also bought my Salt Mix. Oceanpure Synthetic Pro Sea Salt. Is this good Salt? It dosent say how to doze tough. Also got my 29 gallon sump. Any skimmer recommendations?

Most salt brands are close to 1/2 cup per gallon. Good starting reference.

Thanks. And yes and the price is cheap too.

Got my rock work done but have a feeling it might change when i transfer over the ones from my 29 AGA. Wanna transfer it already but idk if its possible if i use all the water and rock to have it successfully transfer or might just have to transfer a bit by bit.

is that a dual 150 fixture?? if so, i think you will be ok with that for now, even with the depth. your sps keep up high in the tank, and clam around mid level. zoas middle to bottom levl. and i think you will be ok! great start so far!!! i have the same stand for my 90 gal, that im using right now under my 40breeder, i sanded it all down and resatined it, ame out awesome! cant wait to see more of this build!!! good job!!!

also, if ur new tank isnt cycled, i wouldnt put the established rock in yet. you could take a nice sized peice outta ur aga, and put it in the new tank to seed the new rock.

is that a dual 150 fixture?? if so, i think you will be ok with that for now, even with the depth. your sps keep up high in the tank, and clam around mid level. zoas middle to bottom levl. and i think you will be ok! great start so far!!! i have the same stand for my 90 gal, that im using right now under my 40breeder, i sanded it all down and resatined it, ame out awesome! cant wait to see more of this build!!! good job!!!

also, if ur new tank isnt cycled, i wouldnt put the established rock in yet. you could take a nice sized peice outta ur aga, and put it in the new tank to seed the new rock.

Yes its two 150 inside a Coralife fixture. As for the sps i will be keeping up high on the rocks. And the Clams ima be trying a Derasa on the sand bed since they are low light compared to the other ones. As for zoas ima be placing in the sand bed and middle.

Today i bought a regular 29 gallon tank. Will clean it up and tomorrow ima be buying a skimmer. Any good recommendations out there with a ok amount on the tag? Will post up pics of the Rock Work in a few hours

bubble magnus

this is the brand i will be purchasing. i have heard great things about them!! there is a thread about them on the other site...the suckky one... and i cant remember who, but a couple people here are using them

Here are the new pics of the current rock work but am sure it will change once i transfer the ones from my AGA to seed these. Post up pics tomorrow of my Sump

100_0827.jpg

With Flash

100_0828.jpg

100_0829.jpg

100_0830.jpg

And from my AGA

100_0817.jpg

nice tank =]

Thanks. Im really happy with how it coming along.

Ill be finishing up the sump tonight and hopefully find a skimmer in the price range and quality im looking for. Ill be posting up pics later on today.

Maybe I missed it, but what are the dimensions of that tank? It looks really nice.

Its dimensions 36''18''24 high. I do love the dimensions but wish it would not be so tall.

In other news i got my skimmer today. Got an ASM G-Series Protein Skimmer G-2. Heard they worked really well. Well see how it works out. Got it for 245.00 because it was used at the LFS but they gave me 3 months of guarantee to make sure it dosent mess up. Pics up tonight :happy:

Skimmer is in :D. Its an ASM G-2 skimmer. Hope its not to much for my tank but i had to have it for the price. They had a new one for $350 and they had this one that they used for a week and toled me i could buy it for $245 and with 3 months of guarantee. Couldn't pass it up. Pump is a G500. Pics

100_0837.jpg

100_0836.jpg

100_0834.jpg

And bought silicone to glue on the baffles. Here is a sketch on how i plan to do it. Sorry my drawing skills arnt so good.

fdgdfg-1.jpg

There is a problem with your design.

DSB!!! I tried this in a 25 inch long sump. And the only way I could get it to work was extremely low flow. I put a mj900 as my return pump. at a 4 ft head it just trickled out. I removed the sand and just ran chaeto.

If you want enough flow to keep a fuge happy you will have too much flow for the DSB to work and or sand blowing everywhere. That is another thing. DBS need 4-6+ inches of fine sand to keep air and light out.

My advice: Remove the DSB and place chaeto/macros their with some small LR (not rubble) with a 15w 6.5k daylight CFL bulb over it. This will do about the same as a DSB without the problems associated with it.

Just a warning if you stir up a DSB after a couple months of it running, it will nuke your tank because of all the detritus trapped and ammonia built up.

So i finished my sump/refugium tonight. Here is a sketch of how it looks, and the pics of the actual thing. Tomorrow will test for leaks and see how it works. Hope it works fingerscrossed

As for the DSB ima take your advice Rocket. Scratch out the DSB and ill probably add like a 6 pound rock with macro growing all over it and also add some chateo

Final Sketch (no DSB no more)

fdgdfg-2.jpg

Sump

100_0847.jpg

100_0849.jpg

*Edit: Mistake on the sketch. Its 18'' tall not 12''.

Is that sump really 30 inches long? looks like a 10 gallon to me. I think it will work great. You will have a fast moving fuge area though. Should not be a problem. It will actually tumble your Chaeto for you. I love how it continuously turns mine.

Also have you chosen your heater? Wondering where it will fit in the sump. The smallest heaters I could fine for the same wattage output are the visi-therm deluxe. The stealth's are about 1 inch longer.

Is that sump really 30 inches long? looks like a 10 gallon to me. I think it will work great. You will have a fast moving fuge area though. Should not be a problem. It will actually tumble your Chaeto for you. I love how it continuously turns mine.

Also have you chosen your heater? Wondering where it will fit in the sump. The smallest heaters I could fine for the same wattage output are the visi-therm deluxe. The stealth's are about 1 inch longer.

Haha yes it really is 30 inches long. It does look small in the pics but its honestly big. I had no clue how to make the fuge area slow moving but i wont mind. Will only have chateo and its good so the light will hit it all around.

As for my heater not yet. I was thinking of adding it where the return pump was going to go at. But not sure yet. Would it be a problem to have it where the chateo will be at? It is 12'' deep

Some would say yes as chaeto does not like direct heat. But to my credit I have had chaeto in my sump for a week now and has grown substantially since I first placed it in their. My 2 300 watt heaters are in the same section as the chaeto. Have not had a problem yet. I think it all depends on how the water flows in your sump.

When you first add salt to the system put a couple cups in the sump so you can watch the salinity density difference. it will allow you to see exactly how your sump flows. Then you will see the fast and slow areas of your sump and can place equipment and macros accordingly.

Some would say yes as chaeto does not like direct heat. But to my credit I have had chaeto in my sump for a week now and has grown substantially since I first placed it in their. My 2 300 watt heaters are in the same section as the chaeto. Have not had a problem yet. I think it all depends on how the water flows in your sump.

When you first add salt to the system put a couple cups in the sump so you can watch the salinity density difference. it will allow you to see exactly how your sump flows. Then you will see the fast and slow areas of your sump and can place equipment and macros accordingly.

Thanks for all the help. Quick update. Added the sump 4 days ago and mix salt 3 days ago so its been up and running. Added a rock with alot of grass things growing out of it (not hair algea) inside the sump and added one to the main display tank. Will probably transfer it all on friday. Skimmer working great also

Archived