Innovative Marine Aquariums

TCK's Aquapod 12

thecowkid

Well after much stress due to having to take down my 7 gallon setup my lovely wife got me a new Aquapod 12. After a week or two of mods I finally got it set on the stand. I did all the usual stuff. Black silicone on the lower intake slits, cut out the fan slits, added a maxi jet 1200. One additional mod that I did is I added a 1/2 bulkhead to the false wall. This is for future mods if I need to do so. Its a place to add an additonal pump If I want to add more flow. Right now I have a 90 deg elbow hooked to the back of it and its pointed to the surface in the fuge area. Some surface film had accumulated there and it helped to break it up. I removed the bio media out of the back, used the mesh bag that the bioballs were in to hold my rock rubble.

Enough about the tank. My mom got my new rock and sand for the tank. I ordered it from Premium Aquatics. I cannot say enough about this company. Their shipping quality is second to none. Oh the rock isnt so bad itself. Its amazing. I ordered 6 lbs of Timpora, 3 lbs of Kaelini, and 3 lbs of Fiji. The Timpora was the only that I could get that was uncured. I am going to do a soft cycle on this tank. 1-2 gallon water change every 3 days.

So here are the pics.

Their box.

newrocks001.jpg

newrocks002.jpg

newrocks003.jpg

A little dead crab. I didnt kill him, he was in the lip on the styro box. I think it was a little emerald.

newrocks004.jpg

The rocks

newrocks010.jpg

The tank

newrocks021.jpg

newrocks022.jpg

So there it is. Now time to get the flashlight out and see what creepy crawleys are in the rocks.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks nice Josh.

With all the acrylic work you do though I was sure you would build your own tank... Makes me kind of wary now, you scared of your own work??? :P:lol:

Thanks. It was the wettest that I could get my hands on. It passed the pruny fingers tests

Ha ha. I question my work all the time. Just kidding. I thought about building one. Extreemly so when my wife was singing the NO NEW TANK song. I really wanted an all in one that was a very tight system. I am soon to have two little ones in the house. This tank is gonna be in my 14 month olds room so I wanted the peace of mind that the hood is totally covered.

I knew you were just kicking the can at me. I am gonna take this one slower than I have ever with any other tank. I dont know what I want to put in it yet. Got any suggestions?

I knew you were just kicking the can at me. I am gonna take this one slower than I have ever with any other tank. I dont know what I want to put in it yet. Got any suggestions?

Well, if it were my tank, I would make it into a nice Zoanthid/Paly Garden, with Ricordea and Mushroom carpeting and some Acan Lords sprinkled in. That would look really nice since you aren't going to be upgrading the lighting any. Also maybe go with one tiny goby, like a Hi-Fin or Yasha Hashe, and an ARMY OF SEXY SHRIMPS. That is what I would personally do, but everyone is different :)

Thats what I was kinda thinking of doing. Well not so much the sexies, but deff a poss. I was just doing the late night peak a boo with the flashlight and found two hitchhiker corals. One is a mat of birdsnest, the other I dunno what. It sorta looks like an oblong polyp ".25 x .5" that can and will lay out flat. Its tan/green with small 1/16 wiskers all around it. If you touch it it will retract and look just lika a zoa. I havent the first clue what it is. I took some pics but my macro function on my little cannon stink. I'll post them tomorrow and see what you think.

I thought doing a soft cycle involved doing more frequent WC's than that? :huh:

At least I think that's how NRF did it with his uncured rock, and he had pretty good results.

I seem to remember him grumbling about doing twice daily WC's, in the beginning at least...

Hum well you could be right on the cycle thing. I have not found any definitive information that spells out the proper timing for a soft cycle. The boiled down version that I got was to try to keep your numbers as close to zero as long as one could do so. Then wait a few days longer than your scheduled water changes and test to see if they are still at zero. If so just like any other cycle it would be finished. But if you find any information about it let me know.

Needreefunds
I thought doing a soft cycle involved doing more frequent WC's than that? :huh:

At least I think that's how NRF did it with his uncured rock, and he had pretty good results.

I seem to remember him grumbling about doing twice daily WC's, in the beginning at least...

:o wha?? GRUMBLING?? ME??!!? NEVAH!!! :o

First, 'grats on the new tank Kid! Great to see you back in the game.

As for my little soft cycled tank, yes. I did WC's twice a day for a while until params stabilized then stretched them out to once a week. I was able to save most of the critters ( at least I think so lol ) that made the trip from FLA to NJ.

HTH and best of luck with your new toy.

:)

Good to hear that right from the mouth of the master. Bad news I couldnt even think of doing two water changes a day. Heck they would be 6 hours apart if I did them in the morning b/f work and at night when I got home. What do you think about say a 3 gallon wc every other day?

Thanks

Oh heres the new critter that I cannot ID. yall got any ideas? It has now moved about .5" into a darker area of the rock.

The little alien!

newrocks031-1.jpg

Thanks. I am gonna have to epoxy the rock together. I am almost scared to touch it, but I am gonna have to move it a bit to get small balls of cement in there to secure it. Its gonna be a little while b/f anything is introduced, but I keep posting pics.

I wish I could get a better pic of it. Its on the side of the tank and my cannon elf wont take a good macro of it. I am kinda thinkin its a manjo. If so its a strange morph of it. If you save it you can zoom in on it and get a better look. Sorry but thats the best that I can do at the moment. It cowered into a small hole and wont come out.

Needreefunds

I hear ya. I'd say let your test kits ( and your nose ) be your guide. :P they will tell you what you can get away with :happy:

I did the two -a- days because the whole "theme" of my little contest tank was to get the freshest rock I could, then try to save all the life I could.

Sorry I can't help on the ID there Josh.... :(

NRF. I understand the militant regiment for the water changes now. I just have so much invested in the rock I want to get to keep it all. I am thinking the little alien's days are numbered. Better safe than sorry. The last thing I want is to find out later that its some wicked nudi that will eat everything in its path.

Ok so I have decided to do a 2gpd water change. If I am feeling froggy I may try to do it twice a day. If not its gonna get dumped all at once. This will also help me get rid of this awful bucket of Oceaninc salt that I have. The blasted stuff will clump up BAD over night. The bucket must have a bad gasket or a pin hole in it. I also believe that I am gonna have to down size my pump to a 900 rather than the 1200. I am first gonna try a Hydor Flo to see if that helps. Well thats enough for now. I'll test the water later and post the results.

Thanks for the link. I didnt see anything like I have. But thats not saying anything. I think I will pick it off the rock and put it into my pico that just has my snails and a few crabs in it. Just so I can watch it and have peace of mind as well.

Archived