Pod Your Reef

75 Gallon Reef Tank

WhiteShark

Okay so my progression in reef tanks has gone from a nano tank to a full sized reef tank. My original idea was to get a JBJ 24 gallon tank. After doing some research I moved up to a 34 gallon Red Sea Max. After still doing more research I decided that I was going to get a 39 gallon Cadlight. Then still after further research and a great opportunity to get a 75 gallon (which barely fit in my apartment) I decided to finally pull the trigger and go for one. It took me about a week or so to get everything together but I finally got water in the tank along with roughly 135 lb of live rock (found a great deal on craigslist when a guy decided to break down his 215 gallon tank and gave me his live rock for less than $2.00 a pound). I have not completed my project yet still have to get a light for my tank (thinking a 4 bulb tek) and a few other odds and ends which will come in the next week or two. I completed my first tests of the water and the results were as follows.

Ammonia 0.00ppm

Nitrite 0.00ppm

Nitrate 20ppm

Ph 8.4

Temp is around 81 (planning to order a digital thermometer soon, right now all I have is one of those stick on thermometers) and the salinity is around 1.023. I need order the testing solution for my refractometer b/c I think its reading high. The (trusted) local fish store I go to hydrometer registered the salinity at 1.023 and my refractometer measured it at around 1.027. I doubt its that high (since I bought the water from them) and I plan on checking it against something more accurate in the near future.

I think my ammonia and nitrates are low due to the fact that the live rock I got is very well established (and I therefore had little die off) and due to a minor plumbing problem I was forced to put 40 gallons in yesterday and then add another 25 gallons today. I'm gonna wait a day or so and test the water again.

I'm currently running an oceanic plus series model 4 protein skimmer with an eheim 125 gph pump. I know you're not supposed to run a protein skimmer but everyone tells me that and then adds "but I ran mine during my cycle". Plus I anna make sure the thing is working well. I also have (roughly) a 900gph return pump (it was a used pump that was purchased with the tank so I'm not 100% sure of its exact stats). I'm also running 2 maxi jet powerheads and a third (unknown brand name) powerhead to assist with circulation. I'm planning on adding some activated carbon after the cycle is complete along with some cheato in my refugium (12 gallon roughly).

But enough talk onto pics:

Empty tank just moved in:

IMG_0335.jpg

Empty Sump:

IMG_0336.jpg

Protein Skimmer:

IMG_0339.jpg

Filled Sump:

IMG_0344.jpg

Filled tank:

IMG_0343.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its all different kinds of live rock (tonga, fiji, etc), bascially the guy told me to take all the rock he had left b/c he wanted to finish breaking down his tank and he wouldn't charge me for anything over 100 lb b/c he wanted to get rid of it (ended up getting 159 lb and sold some of it to the LFS). I'll do some minor tweeking to the aquascape (I'm thinking I may take some rock out since I probably went a bit overboard with it) but I don't think I'll do any major changes unless I see a real problem with flow or something. Thats not a very clear picture (will get a better one once I have a light on it) but there are alot of cool caves and what not that I created.

Looks great, the cherry stand is awesome. I used to take every bit of information on this site seriously, to the tooth. But as I got more and more experience, I learned that every tank is different. Every scenario is different, I certainly ran my skimmer during cycling. And when I moved 45miles away, my 29gallon which has a deep sand bed, got disturbed. I had a huge ammonia spike with all of my live stock. I added an extra carbon bag, and got some prime which makes ammonia and nitrates non toxic. Never lost anything. And honestly your liverock looks like it has been in an established system for quite some time. I would test the tank everyday at the same time, for at least a week. If you don't see any rise in ammonia, I wouldent even worry about it. Looks like a great start!! Definitely staying tune for this build, feel free to check out my 72 gallon nightmare I just started to build yesterday.

Looks like you're off to a good start. I'm curious why you T'd off the drain though, any particular reason?

Duel filter socks on that Berlin sump.

Looks great, the cherry stand is awesome. I used to take every bit of information on this site seriously, to the tooth. But as I got more and more experience, I learned that every tank is different. Every scenario is different, I certainly ran my skimmer during cycling. And when I moved 45miles away, my 29gallon which has a deep sand bed, got disturbed. I had a huge ammonia spike with all of my live stock. I added an extra carbon bag, and got some prime which makes ammonia and nitrates non toxic. Never lost anything. And honestly your liverock looks like it has been in an established system for quite some time. I would test the tank everyday at the same time, for at least a week. If you don't see any rise in ammonia, I wouldent even worry about it. Looks like a great start!! Definitely staying tune for this build, feel free to check out my 72 gallon nightmare I just started to build yesterday.

Yeah the guy who I bought the tank from gave me the entire system for just what the stand alone would have cost. I was really excited about that b/c I wanted the tank to look good in my living room.

The guy I bought the LR from had, had his 215 gallon for years and years so I might not have as hard a cycle. But I wanna make sure before I go and put anything in the tank.

And yeah I'll check out your tank too...

Looks like you're off to a good start. I'm curious why you T'd off the drain though, any particular reason?

Thanks...the guy who bult the sump and the tank T'd it off like that (he owns his own fish store now so I figure it was for a good reason) and the guy who had the tank before me just did some minor modifying and put the intake like it is now. We had to cute the pluming apart when I moved the tank (pain in the a$$ to rebuild) so I basically just went back and re-did the tank plumbing like it was before.

Anybody have any idea's how to fix this, or if I should even be worried about it

IMG_0346.jpg

The return (smaller pipe) is leaking very slowing (dripping in like 2 spaces and a small stream in another). All in all 90-95% its going right back into the sump (slight bit splashes off the pipes and exits the sump). I used a rubber washer when I set the thing up that apparently didnt work to well. I don't want to permamently adhere the pipe to the glass using sealer b/c when I do eventually move out of my apartment I will have to tear the tank down (pain in the a$$) and I'll never belable to get that pipe out (and therefore I wont be able to move the tank). I was thinking either leave it as is and let the water run back into the sump (and the few drops that splash out every once and awhile just clean up) or get another rubber washer, drain the return cut the washer and slide it around this side of the piping and then rescrew it. Any thoughts?

is it leaking from the bulkhead or the pipe? if its the bulkhead did u tighten a 1/4 turn past hand tight? also if its the bh u can drain just the overflow and replace it. nor u could do what i would do. wait like a week and see if the salt creep seals it up. :D

Its leaking from the bulk head. I can't replace the bulk head at this point without replacing the entire return piping system b/c I'd have to cut it apart due to the fact that its sealed with the other pipes (something I prefer not to do). Salt creep idea sounds kinda like good idea to me though...lol

Am I correct in assuming that if its leaking back into the sump it wont hurt anything though?

Yeah won't hurt anything. Salt creep won't seal it up though. Maybe check out reef safe aquarium grease. I saw that stuff somewhere and its supposed to do what you wanted. Temporarily seal it.

Try loosening the bulkhead and getting the washer to slide around a little and tightening it back down. I had a small chip on the hole I drilled for my return line and the washer didn't seal correctly the first time I tightened it down. I drained the water level to below the bulkhead (mines on the back glass, you can just drain you're overflow) and unscrewed, rearranged, and re-tightened the bulkhead. Been fine for 6 months now.

Other than the minor leak looks like your tank is doing well. What are your plans for it?

As far as the leak I would use some reef safe silicone to seal it up. I know it is a pain to remove it when you move but it does not take long with a razorblade and a skilled hand.

Try loosening the bulkhead and getting the washer to slide around a little and tightening it back down. I had a small chip on the hole I drilled for my return line and the washer didn't seal correctly the first time I tightened it down. I drained the water level to below the bulkhead (mines on the back glass, you can just drain you're overflow) and unscrewed, rearranged, and re-tightened the bulkhead. Been fine for 6 months now.

I think I'll try this method...I've already tried tightening the heck out of the screw and I'm afraid if I go any further I might break something (so don't wanna do that...I have nightmares about this thing flooding my apartment).

I'm planning on doing a reef tank. Several fish of course such as clowns, gobbies, bennys, wrasses, a flame angel (if I can get one that doesn't annoy my coral...I just love the way those things look) and I'm thinking a yellow tang and a hippo tang (possibly...I've read that a minimum tank for them is 55 so I might try it)...I kinda wanted a powder blue tang in place of one of the tangs (probably the hippo) b/c my dad loved those and he's the reason I got into salt water fish but I think it might be to big for the tank (I read those need like 125 gallon tanks or something). I was also planning on keeping nice corals but relatively simple ones, LPS, BTA's, Zoos, and possibly a clam or 2 (if I can keep the 1st one alive) and maybe some hardier SPS (towards the top of the tank). I haven't ordered my Tek lighting yet b/c a) nothings in my tank yet, and B) I haven't quite decided on a bulb combination. I was thinking 1-ATI Blue Plus, 1-ATI 12000k aquablue, 1-UV Lighting 10000K AquaSun, and 1-UV Lighting Super Actinic. I've been told by several people to replace the actinic with another blue bulb. I'm still batting this idea around and I was also thinking of replacing the 10000k UV aquasun with something b/c I'm not sure if I want that redish glow in my aquarium (from what I've been told about them). Not sure with what though. I might just do Maybe 2 12000k aquablues, 1 ATI blue plus, and 1 UV super actinic. I'm not to well skilled in the art of lighting yet so I'm not 100% sure on anything yet. Or possibly a 50/50 or a 75/25 actinic daylight bulb...gggrr...don't know yet...I kinda want a "clearer" look in my tank (therefore I prefer a "whiter" bulb rather than blue, but I don't wanna sacrifice power/lighting ability for coral). Any thoughts?

I tested my water yesterday again and came up with the same results as I did my first day:

Ammonia 0.00ppm

Nitrite 0.00ppm

Nitrate 20ppm

Ph 8.4

I ordered some calibration fluid for my refractometer so I can get an exact salinity test (since I've been messing with the water level in my sump a little and I'm pretty sure my refractometer is off). One of my friends is getting me a calcium test kit for Christmas (yes Christmas not, "the holiday season") so I should know what range that is in soon enough, and I just ordered a digital thermometer from marinedepo.com so I should have an exact temp measurement soon. Right now I think the temp is hovering around 81 degrees according to my little sticky thermometer thing.

I'm going to continue to test my water for about another week or so to see if the levels change but I'm starting to think they may not due to the fact that the live rock was from such an established tank. I may go to my LFS this weekend and along with flirting with the hot girl that works there (lol) I'll pick up some cheato to help lower my nitrates. I'm also toying with the idea of removing alittle bit of live rock; 135 pounds I think is a bit much and I don't have much of a sand bed showing right now. I think my CUC may appreciate alittle bit of an exposed sand bed. Plus I like watching the nassarius snails going through the sand. Any thoughts here?

About the LR problem:

Instead of having it all spread out, try cementing the LR vertical. with this.

I'll be trying this "vertical LR placement" technique with my 170+lbs in my 125g. it creates a lot of "shelf" space for corals and what not.

Okay so I need some suggestions. I wanna put in some moonlights for my tank and I'm torn between this one:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=15551

(I would buy 3 of them)

or this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4-LED-Bar-Beam-Moonl...%3A1%7C294%3A50

I'm alittle wary of the ones on ebay b/c I think they may put out to much light. I'm also torn if I should get white or blue. I'm kinda leaning towards blue b/c I think it'll be alittle darker and give a more natural moonlight appearance. Any thoughts?

Yeah I do like the looks of those but I wont be able to make them work with my tank.

Okay photo updates:

Much clearer picture and alittle bit of aquascaping done also

IMG_0348.jpg

Sump is still running well:

IMG_0349.jpg

My levels have yet to change since day one. I'm thinking I'll wait about another week and then maybe add some cheato or something and see what happens with the nitrate levels.

haha...yeah that was a fix that I had to do...Ace Hardware sold me a part that "fit" but didn't seal (the screw in top). I had already put the tank together and didn't want to cut apart the plumbing again, so I just added more sealant to the plumbing and it fixed the problem. It'll be a pain to take apart now I'm sure though. I'll still have to cut it apart when I do eventually move (however many years down the road that may be) but now I only have to do once as apposed to twice. Hopefully I didn't get any pvc cement on the bottom screw in cap so I can get that one off when the time comes...

Okay I know this is an AWFUL picture but I was trying to get a close up shot (I'll try this again once I get my light up and running). But can anyone tell if these are just feather dusters...They're look like tiny tubes that are covering some of my live rock. I've seen 1 or 2 that appear to have the feather duster heads but I just wanted to double check with everyone....

IMG_0350arrows.jpg

EDIT: Actually upon closer inspection they appear A LOT like feather dusters...If anyone thinks any differently let me know though...

Okay update time. I recieved some new toys in the mail today.

RO Unit (hopefully I wont need DI since I'm only going to use it as a top off)...Thank you SteveT and $0.01 Petsmart for that...

IMG_0357.jpg

Cooling fan (sucker is loud but puts out a lot of air...had to put it in my sump to quite the thing down some).

IMG_0354-1.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

Thermometer (yes I know the temp is low I had just placed it in the tank...waiting for a couple hours before I adjust).

IMG_0353.jpg

Added some Cheato this weekend also. Hopefully that'll help pull some of my nitrates down. They're still at 20 ppm (everything else looks good though).

IMG_0356.jpg

On a side note it appears (going to triple check) that my salinity was a bit high (refractometer seemed to be right this whole time). Right now my salinity is about 1.026-1.027. I wanna bring it down to about 1.024. The LFS I go to usually keeps their's around 1.023 but I requested him to get mine a bit higher (1.024) and I think he went overboard (plus they only use a hydrometer to check their water). My plan was to pull about a gallon of water out and replace it with RO water. And repeat as needed ever few hours (after triple checking my refractometer with another LFS of course). Does this sound like a good idea?

Also, my hellolight.com 8 bulb lamp should also be arriving soon. I'll get picks of that when I get it also.

Archived