Pod Your Reef

Aqua Clear 110 Fuge Mod.

CarterNichols

CarterNichols

The original photos from my AC110 Fuge mod were lost from my photobucket so unfortunately i do not have any photos of the works in progress..

If you are looking to perform one of these mods and have any questions feel free to PM me.

:tears: i thought my professional level drawings would get me some recognition

:happy:

I do better with photos than graphics.. (sorry, dead brain cells)... If you post photos when you get it in, and I'll be able to follow along... I'm about to go buy an aquaclear this weekend, so this will help when I mod it..

Good Luck!

Dave A.

CarterNichols
How much are you paying for those pieces to be cut? I hate scoring acrylic!

i think it should be less than 20, but i haven't gotten the quote back yet. I will post the price when i do get the quote.

CarterNichols
Kinda off topic, but would you happen to know if a 10" long heater could fit in an AquaClear 110?

No, it isnt 10" tall, you may be able to lay it diagonally or have some out of the water.

CarterNichols
why didnt you just use the basket from the 110?.....are you planning on a different mod or..? just wondering

using the basket is kind of like an easy way and not as efficient as using acrylic.

CarterNichols

So i hit a snag in my plans, the place that i was going to get to cut the acrylic wants 120 dollars for it, which seems ridiculous to me for 4 small pieces... so i need to find somebody with a dremel or something.

yankeereefer

$120?? That's nut's

Get a piece of $5-6 acrylic from HD and a box knife. All you need is a straightedge (ruler). Score the plastic 6-7 times and snap it. It couldn't get easier than that.

As for the lid, get a hold of a dremel, use the cutting wheel and cut a hole in the factory lid. Much easier that all the fabrication it looks like you have planned.

Nice pics btw :)

oh yeah, you don't need to use 1/4" either - Get the thin stuff, it's like 1/8". The baffles are small enough that you don't lose rigidity (stiffness)

Also, once siliconed, resist the temptation to water test for at least 24hrs.

CarterNichols
$120?? That's nut's

Get a piece of $5-6 acrylic from HD and a box knife. All you need is a straightedge (ruler). Score the plastic 6-7 times and snap it. It couldn't get easier than that.

As for the lid, get a hold of a dremel, use the cutting wheel and cut a hole in the factory lid. Much easier that all the fabrication it looks like you have planned.

Nice pics btw :)

oh yeah, you don't need to use 1/4" either - Get the thin stuff, it's like 1/8". The baffles are small enough that you don't lose rigidity (stiffness)

Also, once siliconed, resist the temptation to water test for at least 24hrs.

I tried scoring originally but it didn't work out very well.. i guess i could try again..

believe me i searched high a low for someone with a dremel, apparently they aren't that popular in NoVa..

i also don't have the factory lid because i have no idea where it is. ha.

yankeereefer
i have no way of cutting it in half like you did

Hacksaw?

I'd look into a dremel type tool - These things are invaluable for us nano reefers. Mine's a knock off from sam's club - It was only like $30 with tons of attachments.

CarterNichols
Hacksaw?

I'd look into a dremel type tool - These things are invaluable for us nano reefers. Mine's a knock off from sam's club - It was only like $30 with tons of attachments.

Hmm, i didn't think to look at Bj's for one, i may do that, and i have a hacksaw... guess i didn't think of that.

I am only 18 so i haven't had enough time to build up a nice tool set.

CarterNichols

Update, so i decided to just score my own acrylic and then sand to fit and what not, that went pretty well.. but Krazy Glue is the worst thing to try to use in the cramped space so i am going to go to home depot tomorrow and buy some loctite gel and redo everything, if i can get a tight enough fit i am going to skip on the silicone, it is the worst smelling most annoying thing to get fully on there.. i guess it is the small space..

i sanded the inside of the AC to get a better grip with the adhesives so the final pics aren't going to look amazing, just as a for-warning

CarterNichols

So i finished it, well all except the lid, but it looks really crappy ha, at least the gluing and silicone does... and then the superglue turned everything white.. i will post pictures in a little bit.

Finished, crappy looking project... but it'll get the job done.

That does not look like crap... It actually looks pretty sweet... I'm in the middle of a hood/light mod myself.. now thats crap.. :)

As far as a lighting for your fuge... I have an idea.. maybe someone could give suggestions/comments.. but here what I was thinking:

Low voltage 4 speed Jebao water pump with 10W submersible light and 110V/12VAC UL transformer. Pump Flow Rate: 40 GPH. Max head: 19". Pump Size: 1.5"x1.375"x1"(H), tube connector outsize 5/16"(diameter)

pump_light-1.jpg

I was going to hide the pump twards the back of my tank.. maybe find a dead spot.. (or cut it off) but put the light in the fuge...

Thanks-

Dave A.

Archived