SaltCritters.com

Cubby's 5.5

Cubby23

Well here it finally is people my 5.5 gallon.

Coralife 36 watt 50/50 light

50 watt stealth heater

74 GPH power head

I finally got to add sand and live rock today. My LFS really had some great pieces but i paid a premium of 12.99 a pound.

It took me over an hour to finally my my rocks where I wanted, I think it looks good now. Most have great coralline and I got some good hitchhikers. I have seen a few tiny snails about 1/4" and two arthropods one of which was swimming. I have not seen him in a couple hours now. I also got some green algae which I'll leave in there for now. I really got some stunning pieces. I even think I got three tiny corals. I also noticed some other small soft growths. I was also thinking about adding a couple more pieces.

Does it look like I could use more?

The tank is still clearing and I got some OK pictures. Good camera Olympus 8MP Digital SLR but I'm a crappy photographer so far.

Now starts the long cycling process.

Pics on next post.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry for the poor image quality. I am still learning the how tos of photographic lighting.

FTS

015.jpg

009.jpg

007.jpg

Really cool large piece

016.jpg

There is one of the snails. Small, grey, dead center.

012.jpg

I think this is a coral. I will try to get a zoomed and cropped picture up soon.

017.jpg

010.jpg

Haha, I wasn't expecting such speechlessness. I'm open to any criticisms or tips.

Here is a better picture of the coral.

cropped.jpg

Thanks

Looks like a good start to me! I would add a little bit more rock, but I like the big arch you have going on in there. :)

What are your stocking plans?

Yeah I think I'm going to pick another piece or two up to add to the left.

I am not 100% of what my clean up crew will be. I would like to keep a banded coral shrimp or a small crab if that is possible. I will pick up a few more snails and 2-3 hermit scarbs as well.

As for fish I would like to keep just one false perc.

BKtomodachi

Do you get much surface agitation? Try pointing your powerhead up a bit more perhaps. Other than that it looks like an excellent start.

I'm not sure about the coral banded shrimp, but there will be a few people who would say no to the clownfish. They really need at least 10gal., IMO. I have two in a 20gal. tank and they cover every inch of the tank over and over again. Anyways, I'll be watching this thread. :)

I have seen on other forums a clown being kept in a 5.5. Also on this forum in a sticky in the beginner section I saw them on the list being acceptable in a 6 gal nano.

I know I still have to do more research on the CUC shrimp wise. I'm trying to find out what shrimp is best because I would really like to keep one.

Thanks

Do you get much surface agitation? Try pointing your powerhead up a bit more perhaps. Other than that it looks like an excellent start.

There is usually more surface agitation, the powerhead was off because I just finished repositioning the rock.

The Coral Banded Shrimp is a no.

It seems cleaner or fire shrimp seems much more suitable. If I get 3 astrea and 3 cerith snails and three hermit crabs will this be a suitable CUC?

I have also just noticed a bristle worm in my tank its 1"+ long. Is this good, bad, or awful?

I have also seen some other smaller white worms crawling around.

By looking at pictures around the internet the hitchhiker snail I have looks to be a very small abalone.

Thanks

I have more algae concerns. I have small clusters maybe 3-4 "leaves" of maroon algae growing around. Each "leaf" is maybe 1-2 mm. I'm not sure if I'm just noticing it or if it is popping up. I am using tap water which I know is not the best.

Once I get my CUC will they get rid of all this stuff including the short green algae i posted pictures of here?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1587263

I have also seem more critters in the tank, small worms and several amphipods.

Does anyone know what that coral is?

Ahhh now I have some brown algae growing in my tank. I came home from practice today and this is how it looks now.

002-3.jpg

003-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

What can I do about all this algae growing? I know switching to RO/DI water could help alot. Where could I buy this water? I only need 2-3 gallons a week maximum.

Once I get my CUC will they get rid of all of this stuff?

Any answers to all ym above questions?

Thanks

Most large super markets have RO/DI water machines out front and you can also buy 1g jugs if they don't have the machines.

Your CUC will get rid of most of the algae, also the diatoms will fade as the cycle continues.

It looks like you have a small mushroom growing on that one rock you pictured.

Most large super markets have RO/DI water machines out front and you can also buy 1g jugs if they don't have the machines.

Your CUC will get rid of most of the algae, also the diatoms will fade as the cycle continues.

It looks like you have a small mushroom growing on that one rock you pictured.

Thanks. I'll try my local supermarkets first, but being in them thousands of times and never noticing RO water brings me doubts on this water's availability.

I have three of those little mushrooms growing, they seem pretty healthy so far.

I know they have distilled water, is this any better?

I'm sorry for the poor image quality. I am still learning the how tos of photographic lighting.

FTS

015.jpg

009.jpg

007.jpg

Really cool large piece

016.jpg

There is one of the snails. Small, grey, dead center.

012.jpg

I think this is a coral. I will try to get a zoomed and cropped picture up soon.

017.jpg

010.jpg

I like the open way you placed your rock. I bought 10 lbs of LR for my 12g and I think I got too much. You have some great coraline on those pieces. I look forward to following the progress of your tank. mine is about the same stage as yours.

Hip Hip HOORAY. My ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are currently at zero! I definitely went through the algae bloom yesterday. I hope the levels will stay like this so I can do a water change a week from now. This means the CUC is coming soon!!!

So far I'm thinking,

5 Nassarius Snails

3 Cerith Snails

2 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs

2 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs

1 Pom Pom Crab

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp Too big?

Would this be over doing it?

Obviously the shrimp and crab are part of the show piece aspect too. I think both are SO cool.

My 3 hitchhiker snails (95% sure they are abalones) have been doing an ok job so far. Their shells are about 1/4"-3/8". They seem reluctant to go out to the center of a rock as if they are afraid of the exposure there. What they do clean though is SUPER CLEAN. They will almost only come out in the dark. Haha they seem so afraid of me too. Once they notice that I'm watching, sometimes just by walking the room, they will scram and hide. And DAMN they are fast (relative) moving at least an inch per second.

I got a couple gallons of distilled water today. From now on I am strictly using distilled. I topped it off and my salinity is 1.0255. The ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all still zero.

Any answers to my questions above? Does that CUC seem right?

i like astrea snails too, more little guys to stay on the glass and eat algae....

I'm a fan of emerald crabs- IMO they take care of hair algae and bubble algae like no other.

DO NOT DO the blue legged hermits. I started with a lot of them.. ended up with ONE TERRORIST that is getting HUGE and killing other hermits and snails for their shells..

sounds good though, I just got my boyfriend a 5.5 gallon rimless as his first saltwater tank! Yay!

Time for an update

My water parameters have stayed stable. My salinity is now sitting right at 1.025. I have learned that my snails are stomatellas and they have been doing a good job with the algae on my LR. I have seen some coralline spread, some really cool aqua/teal colored sections. My hair algae is still thriving and its days are short. I'm going to get my CUC on Monday. I'm also going to buy ~2 more lbs of LR.

I now have a Dinoflagelates problem. There is some on my sand, and a lot on my glass. Without any cleaners for the glass its not looking very good.

How can I clean my glass w/o a CUC and w/o a mag float?

My corals are doing very well. One of the mushrooms is about the size of a dime and the other slightly smaller. The two zoa polyps have been fully opening the past two days. The corals look amazing for hitchikers.

There will be a big update once I get the CUC I can't wait.

Archived