Innovative Marine Aquariums

nanoreeferpdx's 3gal pico (Tom deco)

nanoreeferpdx

nanoreeferpdx

My Tom deco 3 that I ordered from Drsfostersmith arrived yesterday. Setting it up was so much fun. I already have two nanos at home so this one's going on my desk at work. All the live rocks, water, and live stock were taken from my established tanks; the sand is new. I have more corals to add later once it's set up at work; the tank is still on my desk at home. I'm not planning to keep any fish in this system since it's so small; will probably add a shrimp to keep it interesting though; maybe a cleaner shrimp? I painted the back of the tank black to hide the filter. Love this system, it's so easy and comes with everything you'd need to get started, just wish it's glass instead of plastic though, it scratches so easily.

pico.jpg

pico2.jpg

Looks great. I would never get any work done if it was on my desk.

Totally agree :)

What a slick setup. Love how open that scaping makes such a small tank look.

nanoreeferpdx

The tank is doing quite well. I added a few more corals and ordered a hi fin goby and red headed goby (my coworkers stop by constantly to look at the tank and they've been asking for a little fish); will post updated pictures when the fish are here. I'm planning to add only one of the gobies to this tank; just wondering if they'll get along if i add keep both of them in such a small tank like this?

PS: it is not Marcorocks, just small pieces of live rocks that i epoxied together :D

• 2 weeks later...
nanoreeferpdx

Here's a new picture of the tank. I keep forgetting to bring the camera to work so i snapped this shot with the phone, not the greatest quality. I'm pretty happy with the livestock right now so i think i'll let it be. I did some research after picking up the goby and found out it it prefers colder water. The store kept them with other tropical fish and never said anything so i thought he was tropical. My tank's consistently at 76-77 and the goby's eating and very active so far, hope he'll survive.

pico-1.jpg

Is the redheaded goby different or the same as a catalina goby? Catalins likes temps of 68-75degrees.

I have wanted to get one. Please keep us posted on how he does.

Tank is really looking great. It will be fantasic when it is grown in alittle. Nice job. So are you able to get any work done with it on your desk?

nanoreeferpdx

It's a Calalina goby; he's seems to be doing great; eats like a pig (i think i'm gonna name him Piggy) :) I think i'm more productive with the tank on my desk; i sit at my desk more and paperwork don't pile up anymore 'cause i like working at my desk now :happy:

It's a Calalina goby; he's seems to be doing great; eats like a pig (i think i'm gonna name him Piggy) :) I think i'm more productive with the tank on my desk; i sit at my desk more and paperwork don't pile up anymore 'cause i like working at my desk now :happy:

Really? I'm a bit surprised..Because when I sit anywhere near my tank I usually end up staring into my tank rather than doing what I sat down to do. :D

please get rid of that catalina goby, he may be doing ok but it is cruel to keep him in waters that is 5-10 degrees hotter then what he lives in the wild. i mean have ou been in the cali ocean? no way in hell its 77-78 degrees

please get rid of that catalina goby, he may be doing ok but it is cruel to keep him in waters that is 5-10 degrees hotter then what he lives in the wild. i mean have ou been in the cali ocean? no way in hell its 77-78 degrees

Thing there is... thats where the retailer had him, thats the temp he's been at for a while now, and is thriving. If the fish was in distress it more than likely wouldnt be eating and or still be alive. Only thing I am saying is its improbable that the fish is any pain and seeing as cruel is a bit of a stretch, out of optimal range... yes

That's one sweet setup man and love the open feel of the scaping. Makes the tank seem a lot larger than it is. I may have to get one of these after the holidays. Keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...

That is a very clean and well scaped pico my friend....what is the quality and clarity of the plastic? when you say easy to scratch, is this from moving rocks around because of limited space or from cleaning?

Nick

I take it your Portland, Oregon based by the PDX.... I am not to far south, down in Salem. I like your tank...I will be following your thread :)

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous tank! I am setting one of these up for my son's for Christmas. One question though, do these have a cover over the tank or are they open topped? It looks like there is a cover but I want to be sure. I think that would help greatly for evaporation purposes..

Thanks

Spankey

Archived