ReefCleaners.org

Mushroom coral squirted me in the eye!

breebauer

Here's the latest:

I went ot go move a little mushroom frag that had been acclimating at the bottom of my tank, nd when I picked it up to quickly put a dab of super glue on it, it squirted me right in the eye!!!

It hurt for a minute, then it really started to hurt. Now my eyeball is on fire.

I've been rinsing it for 1/2 an hour. It's still on fire.

Are there poisonous? Does anyone think I should go to the hospital? Or is this just going ot burn like hell for a while?

Has this happened to anyone before, or am I the only one out there with this kind of crappy luck?

I'm in serious pain over here.....

DOCTOR'S SOON!!!!

The bacteria that live inside coral are nasty. If you value you eye sight go get it checked NOW.

The infections will be horrible!!

RED

mushrooms squirt? o.O wtf -.-

anyway you are going to die a horrible and painful death. i'll make sure you get a nice eugoogooly from n-r

but yeah go to the hospital. hope it turns out well.

Edited by djchristone

Ya...Why are you wasting time typing on here...I would have been in the ER already!!

(of course I would have still posted a thread too, but with my apple I phone..in the ER..lol)

Seriously though...let us know what happened....Hope your ok!

PS...Hey now you will have something to contribute to the

"Somedays I hate this hobby" thread..

Edited by nynex

I was removing bubble algae a while back and 1 popped, the juice went in my eye....was imaginin alsorts about bubble algae growing from out of my eye....lmao didnt hurt though and i think its just spores they carry inside them alng with salty water....rinsed my eye out really well though. I dont mess with my zoas or shrooms cause ive heard they carry toxins that can potentially blind ya.... :unsure:

Ok... I think I'm going to make it, with eye intact.

I flushed and flushed, and flushed with water, put ice in it and flushed it again.

(I didn't go to the hospital mainly because going to the hospital near me is a hazard in itself.)

I had no idea they squirted! But just so everyone here knows that they do, and whatever it is that they squirt REALLY REALLY hurts. My eye still hurts, but it's not exactly on fire anymore.

My little friend the mushroom is now going to live out the rest of his days on the bottom of my tank. I promise not to touch him again.

You live, and you learn, I guess... ;)

Yes, Palytoa I think it is called. Very nasty stuff.

You mean palytoxin? No, mushrooms don't contain this poison. They do have pneumatophores and lots of tasty vibrio bacteria though.

You mean palytoxin? No, mushrooms don't contain this poison. They do have pneumatophores and lots of tasty vibrio bacteria though.

Ok, I have no idea what that is. Should I be worried again?

My eye still stings, and it's not completely red like it was last night. I was assuming that I'm ok... am I? ;)

pneumatophores... correct me if im wrong, aren't those a kind of aerial roots in black mangroves?

i think what fosi wanted to say was nematocysts. they are stinging cells that basically fire a microscopic barbed poisoned hook into whatever triggers it. that would be the burning sensation i think. the effect is temporary though. think jellyfish stings (nematocysts again) (and whatever you do, please dont pee in your eye... first of all pee doesnt help and second of all thats just plain gross).

vibrio is a kind of bacteria that, if it gets good hold, can lead to some very nasty infections. so go see a doc about the sting and tell him exactly what happened. hope your doc is familiar with vibrio. you should also mention mycobacteria to him as well. a lil reading on your part on those two wouldnt hurt either i think... just in case the doc doesnt know. and just so you know what you're dealing with.

Edited by justinl
pneumatophores... correct me if im wrong, aren't those a kind of aerial roots in black mangroves?

i think what fosi wanted to say was nematocysts.

You're right. :blush:

That's why I shouldn't try to act all smart when I'm tired. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mr. Fosi

Ya I agree too...I think you should go see a doctor. He will most

likely have to do some research on it. But atleast you will know for sure.

You dont want to wait till its too late and you have some major infection or

worse happen...

Edited by nynex

so what happened?

you DO realize that infections take a while to establish, right? just because you're ok now doesn't mean your eye won't be infected in 48-72 hrs... see a freaking doc. you don't want to take chances with your eye.

BreeBeauer:

do what they say....Dr Dr Dr. vision is always a good thing. hope you're ok>

Krayon:

any pics of your tank? what kind of horses you planning on getting? praying you've done lots of reasearch and have already started making/perfecting a food source. big horse fan too! my project in college.

Edited by cheney_1999