Coral Vue Hydros

My New Finnex 20G M tank with Fuge

haburt510

Well got most my stuff in to day. Pretty cool tank I have to say. I was going to go with a Aquapod but changed my mind after all the Finnex tank I seen are the forum. All I need now is some water and LR and im ready to cycle. But first i need to get a stand. Im also putting in a order for the Finnex MH+PC 19" Combo. I going to exchange the bulb for the 14,000k to get more of the Blusing coloring.

Here what I got in the mail today. :D

Finnex Tank with fuge light.

Aqua Remora Nano Skimmer

Hydor Koralia 1 circulation pump

Digital thermometer

20LB live sand

4 Fan system. Hopefully this will help keep the temp down during the hot summer days.

I dont plan on using none of the rain tray. Just like rock in the fuge and Cheto. MAYBE some sand to host the copepods in the future.

All I need is a stand water and rock and im in process of cycling. YEAHHH

Any susgetion before I start the cycling process will be wonderful. Im a noob so any thing will be good to learn.

post-31614-1192497935_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a stand WHOOOO YEAHH. Next------> Add sand + LR and water cycle. I wish I had more time during the day. Things will be much faster. ohh well. thats life.

post-31614-1192592700_thumb.jpg

Any one ever used this type of chiller before??? Its a Coolworks ice Probe chiller. I plan on installing it rite into the the Fuge area in the back of my 20 Gallon M tank. Suppose to drop temp down 3-4 degres in a 20 gallon. Any info from any one about these.

post-31614-1192674847_thumb.jpg

post-31614-1192674857_thumb.jpg

Be VERY careful with the plumbing of your tank. The fittings don't fit very tight, so you are forced to glue everything in place.

^^^^ huh? I've had mine for over a year and have never had to glue anything in place. Would this only be for the refugium equipped model?

Yes, I should have said that. He has the refugium model. The pipe that goes to the refugium is the main problem. It falls off, causing the refugium to overflow. I had this problem on 2 of these tanks.

Thanks for the heads up on the tubing to the overflow falling out. Fuge onverflowing will be HORRIBLE. I will for sure do some thing about that.

Any thing about the ice probe chiller?

Yes. If you plan on drilling it through the back, don't go thru the refugium. The reason is, the flow thru the refugium is very, very slow, so it would take forever to chill the whole tank. Drill the hole near the pump. That way almost all of the chilled water goes to the tank.

CABOKENT----> The Finnex 20 Gallon tank the refugium area look very unstable. It seems like the fuge area is about to overflow. I test run the tank today with tapwater just to see it works and any leaks and notice the the fuge area water is about couple inches from over flowing on the top. Looks very unstable. I just turned the knob on the return to fuge and notice that water started to spill over the fuge area. This is Horrible because I plan on placing tank on carpet. Any mistake and water will spill out the fuge. Also the fuge light sits very close to the water. If I where to put JUST my hand in the fuge area water starts to spill out. Thats how close the top of the water is in the fuge.

At this point I dont know if Im going to keep this tank. The fuge area SUCKS. :angry: Currently debating what im going to do. But I already post this up for sale on Craigslist. Any offer any one?

That is why I got rid of a 20 & 32 gallon refugium tank. That fitting between the bulkhead and refugium is a poor design. I ended up using modeling glue to keep it in place. And I agree with you about the water level in the refugium, very high all the time. One mistake ( loose fitting ) and you'll have water flowing over the refugium wall.

I bought this tank through ebay saler. I dont really know what finnex/Ken can do to help me but I will give it a try.I should of got the other 20 gallon M tank with no fuge. Do any one know if the Finnex 20 Gallon M tank with out fuge water level like in the rear area.I know for sure down the line some thing will happen which will force the water in the fuge to spill out. So Im not sure what im going to do. I have the Power back up and all the electrical plugs in the back also. Im had high hopes for this tank too. Do you know Ken Email so I can get hold of him thorough email?IDBALLON4---> Yes I installed every thing correctly. When I got the tank every thing was already set. I just made sure every thing was tight.WHAT TO DO!! WHAT TO DO!!! :unsure:

Thanks Bluebastion.

Well I was in the garage where the tank is currently at just testing the M Tank. I had the tank on running and testing with a cup by removing water from the pump area in the back to see if removing water will help when the fuge area started to over flood :o I didnt know what happened. I quickly unplugged the pump in from electrical socket and notice that the connector on the fuge area feel off which caused lots of water into the sump area very fast making it over flood. Even when I place the T joint to the fuge pipe tightly there is still water leaking from the middle slowly.

At this point I will NOT be placing this on carpet nor in place inside my house. Its a big risk factor of overflooding and electrical problem.

I really hope Finnex can help me out.

Well I got a Email back from Finnex. It wasnt Ken. I got a response from some one else. Well Finnex told me that there is no way that water from the fuge area cannot spill out. They say when fuge area over flow the water will flow into the main tank. I dont think those guys at finnex know what they are talking about. I also told them about the T joint where it leads to the fuge and they didnt respond to that question.

I personally know that water does flow on the out side of the tank and no water goes into the main tank when it over flow. I guess thats how they do business. Im just going to sale this tank back to some one else who is interested but I will for sure tell them to be very cafeful of the sump area.

After think about the tank all day at work I decided to do a little mod. I really like how the tank looks from the from area and saling this tank now will be a loss in $$$$$$ for sure.

Here is my plan. If any one has any input or ideas please feel free to add.

Well since the fuge area is lower then the tank area I plan on getting some some pieces of acrylic cut to make the fuge area higher then the rest of the tank. My plan is to make the fuge about 3/4" higher then the rest and make path that will allow the water to flow back into the main tank if it does overflow all the water will just go back into the main tank. Kinda hard to describe but I will show pics when I have every thing figured out. The people at TAP PLASTIC and awesom when it comes to custom cut acylic and I had great success with them in the past. The even bend acylic for me in 90 degree angle with no problem. And there prices are CHEAP.

I think a little acrylic mod and some acylic glue and im good. Im not going to give up on this tank. ;)

Sorry to hear this. I do not have experience with the fuge equipped Finnex tank. I'm not a Finnex fan boy, but my experience has been more than satisfactory. I'm sorry you have had to "deal" with this. Is there any way that you can take the fuge out and use the tank without the fuge?

I dont think taking out the fuge area will work because water still will be extreamly high. The reason I got this tank is because every thing seems to flow and the fuge was planned for cheato and stuff for water quality. But there isnt really no good pics of this tank at work. Plus finnex website doesnt even have any good pictures of there whole tank. Well I hope this mod im about to do work. Im pretty sure but if not :owned:

Possible solutions to lower the refugium water level:

1.Open holes on the sump side of the black board.

2.Keep water level in the sump about at the middle.

I dont think that is possible to make sump area water lever go to the middle be/c fuge water will have to overflow back into the tank. Well i just finished with my little mod to the sump area. I built the sump area a little higher then the rest of the tank. Also mad a path so if the fuge does overflow water will go towards the path and fall back into the main tank. Also by doing this the fuge light is also not so close to the water. Im going to let the acylic glue totally set over night and do a test run tomorrow. Pic will be updated later.

The little mod I did with the sump and overflow works flawless. Even when I adjust the water and it starts to get very hign water will just go into the path and back into the main tank. SWEEET :D Also when I place my hand and even my arm into the sump water will overflow into the maintank. This is a must because in the future in I do plan on stick my hand into the sump area to place some thing or get some thing water wont get all over my carpet. Also now the sump light is not so close to the water. Im very satisfied with this mod and every thing worked out perfect to plan. Now next mod I will do is to drill a 1.25" bulk head for my Coolworks Ice Probe Chiller in the pump section. I will post some pics later this evening of the sump mod.

The little mod I did with the sump and overflow works flawless. Even when I adjust the water and it starts to get very hign water will just go into the path and back into the main tank. SWEEET :D Also when I place my hand and even my arm into the sump water will overflow into the maintank. This is a must because in the future in I do plan on stick my hand into the sump area to place some thing or get some thing water wont get all over my carpet. Also now the sump light is not so close to the water. Im very satisfied with this mod and every thing worked out perfect to plan. Now next mod I will do is to drill a 1.25" bulk head for my Coolworks Ice Probe Chiller in the pump section. I will post some pics later this evening of the sump mod.

Glad to hear you worked it out. Now lets continue to watch your progress with this tank :)

Here the picture of the mod. Notice the sump area is higer the the rest of the tank allowing water to flow back into the main tank. Also drilled couple pencil size holes to let water drain faster back into main tank. Before when sump got to full and started to top off water would spill out from the sides and back all over the floor. Now every thing goes back into the main tank. :) Tomorrow im going to get the 1.25" hold cut for the chiller and im ready to set up the tank.

Im going to be getting live rock from my uncle tank. Uncle tank is well exstablished reef tank.

post-31614-1192998924_thumb.jpg

Does it one know if this is a good idea to do.

Since im getting live rock from a already well exstablished tank from my uncle is it a good idea to get about 10 gallon of his exstablished Saltwater from his tank also. I plan on using 10 gallon of his water and buying about 10 gallon saltwater from my fish store. Is this a good idea???/

Thank you.

Archived